1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Router sending both N and G signals out at the same time?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by nahneun, Dec 8, 2010.

1. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

Hi guys. Odd question for sf, but I'm 99% sure there has to be someone tech savvy around here. I was wondering if one router could send out both signals at once. My computer supports N, while my mother's doesn't, but I don't really want to lose out on the faster speeds I've been getting with N (unless, of course, this was all just in my mind), and I was wondering if there were routers that could send simultaneous signals. I read online in a cnet review that mine couldn't, but I was wondering how I would set it up on one that could, if it exists. Thanks!

2. Token

Token Member

The Apple Airport Extreme is a dual-band router that can send both G and N at once. Don't have one, so I don't know how to set it up. I'm sure you can download the manual. Of course, N won't make your internet connection any faster.

3. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Stylish Dinosaur

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    ^Yes, the Airport is dual band, but if both a G and an N user are simultaneously connected, the Airport throttles both down to the slower band, iirc.

4. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

^Yes, the Airport is dual band, but if both a G and an N user are simultaneously connected, the Airport throttles both down to the slower band, iirc.

I see...is there any way that I could use both without having to compromise?

5. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Stylish Dinosaur

Please, no swearing or racial epithets in thread titles. Read forum rules or thread will be deleted.

6. A Y

A Y Distinguished Member

The newer Airport Extremes can run both N and G without slowing down N. N runs at the higher 5GHz frequencies. I believe there are other dual-band routers out now, but I love my 2 AEx FWIW.

--Andre

7. Dakota rube

The newer Airport Extremes can run both N and G without slowing down N. N runs at the higher 5GHz frequencies. I believe there are other dual-band routers out now, but I love my 2 AEx FWIW.

--Andre

I didn't know this, Andre.
    Thanks for the info!

8. A Y

A Y Distinguished Member

I didn't know this, Andre.
    Thanks for the info!

You're welcome. The older ones (but same form factor as the current ones) that I have don't support dual-band, so be careful if you buy used.

--Andre

9. Dakota rube

I have both Extreme and Express, but neither are new enough to handle both bands simultaneously.