• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Router sending both N and G signals out at the same time?

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Hi guys. Odd question for sf, but I'm 99% sure there has to be someone tech savvy around here. I was wondering if one router could send out both signals at once. My computer supports N, while my mother's doesn't, but I don't really want to lose out on the faster speeds I've been getting with N (unless, of course, this was all just in my mind), and I was wondering if there were routers that could send simultaneous signals. I read online in a cnet review that mine couldn't, but I was wondering how I would set it up on one that could, if it exists. Thanks!

Token

Reaction score
The Apple Airport Extreme is a dual-band router that can send both G and N at once. Don't have one, so I don't know how to set it up. I'm sure you can download the manual. Of course, N won't make your internet connection any faster.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^Yes, the Airport is dual band, but if both a G and an N user are simultaneously connected, the Airport throttles both down to the slower band, iirc.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
^Yes, the Airport is dual band, but if both a G and an N user are simultaneously connected, the Airport throttles both down to the slower band, iirc.

I see...is there any way that I could use both without having to compromise?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Please, no swearing or racial epithets in thread titles. Read forum rules or thread will be deleted.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The newer Airport Extremes can run both N and G without slowing down N. N runs at the higher 5GHz frequencies. I believe there are other dual-band routers out now, but I love my 2 AEx FWIW.

--Andre

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
The newer Airport Extremes can run both N and G without slowing down N. N runs at the higher 5GHz frequencies. I believe there are other dual-band routers out now, but I love my 2 AEx FWIW.

--Andre

I didn't know this, Andre.
Thanks for the info!

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
I didn't know this, Andre.
Thanks for the info!

You're welcome. The older ones (but same form factor as the current ones) that I have don't support dual-band, so be careful if you buy used.

--Andre

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have both Extreme and Express, but neither are new enough to handle both bands simultaneously.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.