1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Rounded Breast Pocket on Suit: Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ltontheqt, Mar 14, 2012.

1. ltontheqt

ltontheqt Senior member

I just made my first visit to Chan in NY to get measured for a suit. Patrick asked me if I wanted a rounded breast pocket rather than angled and I said yes. But now I wonder if that is too casual for a sharkskin suit. His suit had that style pocket and it did not strike me as beyond the pale. But what do I know? I figured a pocket square would sit better. What does the jury say? I still have time to change the order. He also convinced me to go for working buttonholes. But that's another story.

2. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

What do you mean by "rounded" and "angled?"

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

4. ltontheqt

ltontheqt Senior member

From my limited understanding I guess you'd call it Barchetta.

5. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Yes, if you like the style because that could give PS a different look from the english style

It is nor causal or formal, probably over thinking

6. guymac12

guymac12 Senior member

I'm about to ask this one too.

7. ltontheqt

ltontheqt Senior member

8. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

Regarding your two pocket examples, the first is a patch pocket and is casual, too casual for a sharkskin suit.
    The second is a welt pocket done barchetta style.
    Two different animals.
    Is this the comparison of pocket styles you meant by saying rounded and angled?

9. duggyald

duggyald Senior member

Now I'm confused with rounded/angled.

10. ltontheqt

ltontheqt Senior member

Yes, I believe so. My bad on the nomenclature. I think I will check with Chan to make sure that I get the proper pocket.

11. GBR

GBR Senior member

and it does not look very good either.

12. ltontheqt

ltontheqt Senior member

So what does?

13. Despos

Want to help you sort this out. Need the facts.

You ordered a suit to be made with sharkskin cloth. Do you want this to be a suit for business, social events or somewhat casual wear?

Sharkskin has a dressier finish and would best be worn for business or social events. With this in mind it would be wise to get the lower pockets with flaps and a regular welt breast pocket. If it has a curved shape, that's fine. The curved shape is common from Italian tailors and called a barchetta.

The first breast pocket picture you linked in your previous post is a patch pocket. The cloth is cut out and applied to the outside of the suiting fabric. To make a patch pocket on the chest of the jacket should only be done if you are having the patch pocket style for the lower pockets. When you order patch pockets on the lower part of the jacket, you have an option to use a patch pocket on the chest or a welt. Three patch pockets is the most casual configuration, mostly seen on sport coats and odd jackets. Two lower patch and a breast welt is a compromise of both styles. Occasionally you will see suits made with 3 patch pockets but it's unusual to see this with a dressier sharkskin cloth because it is a style that adapts to more casual types of cloth.

I doubt Patrick would have asked you if you want a patch pocket on the chest unless you wanted patch for the lower pockets so he may have been asking you a different question than what you understood or thought he was asking.

Would be good for you to email Patrick and ask him to confirm the details of the style for the suit you ordered so you will be happy with the results and get a suit styled according to your needs. If you are still uncertain after contacting Patrick, send him a picture of the look and details you want.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  14. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

How about patch breast, barchetta hips, and flapped hacking ticket pocket?

:confused:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  15. Despos

Is that the champagne talking?

16. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

My idea is designer gold. Watch J. Crew steal it like my other ideas.

17. ltontheqt

ltontheqt Senior member

Thank you very much for the detailed advice. I think what probably happened is that i got so consumed with all the decisions that I misunderstood (there is a slight language barrier) Patrick's intention and, frankly, did not pay enough attention in what was a busy hotel room with several people placing orders. I'm new at this. You're right. I think Patrick suggested a curved welt breast pocket. I am getting flap pockets otherwise. You're also right that Patrick has been at this long enough that he wouldn't make a botch of it and do something totally out of bounds. To be safe, I will check with him. It was hard letting go of those greenbacks. I don't have enough of them.

18. ltontheqt

ltontheqt Senior member

And yes, the suit will be for special events at work.

19. Elwoodc

Elwoodc Member

A year and a half later and no picture of the tonic with patch pockets?
    :fu: