1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Rose gold watch-picture included

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tiger02, Mar 17, 2006.

1. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

What do you all think of rose gold for a watch? It doesn't look too pink to me, more like gold with a bit of the 'edge' removed. This is a Seagull (Chinese) watch I'm thinking about buying, with a mid brown croc band.

[​IMG]

2. Tomasso

Tomasso Distinguished Member

This is a Seagull watch I'm thinking about buying

I am very happy with my Seagull watch.

[​IMG]

3. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

I am very happy with my Seagull watch.
    Yours will probably taste better as well [​IMG]

4. rip

rip Active Member

I have one pink- and two rose-gold watches. I like the colors; the only problem is coordinating the color with other gold items such as cuff-links or belt buckles, or a ring if you wear one.

5. Aureus

Aureus Senior Member

In the world of watches, Chinese will never be Swiss. Automatic movement or not.

I like the look of that watch, and I like rose-gold. Assuming that watch is an automatic and that the skeleton actually shows the workings of a working watch, rather than a quartz with fake innards, go for it.

6. ragdoll

ragdoll Senior Member

Depends also on your skin color.

I was in Singapore last month and one of the watch dealers made a big deal about matching the color of the watch face and case to one's skin color. I had never looked at it that way but when he put a rose gold case/grey faced watch up to my dark skin and compared it to one with a platinum case/white face I was amazed how better the former looked.

Probably a similar principle to that outlined in Flusser's books on clothing for different skin tones.

7. operationexpat

operationexpat Well-Known Member

I've seen them in person--this watch's innards do actually move [​IMG]

The back of the watch is glass as well.

8. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

ragdoll, how dark is dark? I'm white but olive-skinned but sun deprived [​IMG]

9. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

In the world of watches, Chinese will never be Swiss. Automatic movement or not.

I like the look of that watch, and I like rose-gold. Assuming that watch is an automatic and that the skeleton actually shows the workings of a working watch, rather than a quartz with fake innards, go for it.

Chinese are not on par with the Swiss...... yet. The japanese were not on par with the US Auto industry at one time (or the swiss watch making industry) but that quickly changed. Lexus and Grand Seiko are, at a bare minimum, the equal to their European counterparts. BTW, Swatch group (which owns everything from Brietling to Omega to Bregeut), has a Chinese manufacturing facility. For the Chinese, it is only a matter of time, no pun intended. Just ask the Scottish cashmere millls.

As for the watch mentioned, I would stick with stainless (and a non skeletal dial) as it is more versatile.

10. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

I'm good on versatile, covered by a stainless Strela w/ blue leather band. Now I need something a step dressier.

Sara, or anyone (skalogre?)... I hear Seagull has an office in Switzerland, or a Swissman in China. Any ideas if this is true?

11. operationexpat

operationexpat Well-Known Member

Carol at the Hong Kong office told me that have a "Swiss watch-maker" on staff. There's a +41 phone number in the back of one of their brochures, but no street address.

12. Tomasso

Tomasso Distinguished Member

13. skalogre

skalogre Distinguished Member

I'm good on versatile, covered by a stainless Strela w/ blue leather band. Now I need something a step dressier. Sara, or anyone (skalogre?)... I hear Seagull has an office in Switzerland, or a Swissman in China. Any ideas if this is true?
    You know, I have not heard that but I would not be surprised if Tianjin did that. I am sure they have their capable fingers in many pies including OEM for Swiss companies. I would also go for the stainless myself but I also don't particularly like gold, rose or not. P.s. You mean a Strela Sekonda chrono? Nice! I have to get one of those myself (white dial). P.s. 2 Regarding the Swiss vs Chinese thing.. I agree that there are parts of that equation that are already a sizeable threat to the Swiss - and I don't mean just cheap watches. While the consistency is not there yet, a lot of the examples coming out of high-end watchmakers in China are breathtaking. I like the Swiss cacheT but I also like things like the Seagull; internal design standing on its own merits. It is not like a replica or even an hommage (which the Swiss are notorious for - especially high end mfgs).

14. Aureus

Aureus Senior Member

Chinese are not on par with the Swiss...... yet. The japanese were not on par with the US Auto industry at one time (or the swiss watch making industry) but that quickly changed. Lexus and Grand Seiko are, at a bare minimum, the equal to their European counterparts. BTW, Swatch group (which owns everything from Brietling to Omega to Bregeut), has a Chinese manufacturing facility. For the Chinese, it is only a matter of time, no pun intended. Just ask the Scottish cashmere millls.

Technical Parity and Brand Equality are rather different things. Theres far to much history in the Swiss watch making industry. Swatch has a plant in China for the manufacturing of Swatch branded products, ie cheap $20 dollar watches with funky faces and all quartz movements. Not for the creation of Breitling or Omega branded products.

15. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

P.s.
    You mean a Strela Sekonda chrono? Nice! I have to get one of those myself (white dial).

If that's the one with English writing instead of Cyrillic, then yes, and I love it. Bought it off a guy on the pmwf. I would have preferred Cyrillic writing but didn't want to wait for a deal as good as the one I got.

What do you do for servicing it? I had the crown fall/break/pop off one drunken night, and haven't been able to find a place that can replace it.