• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rose gold watch-picture included

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
What do you all think of rose gold for a watch? It doesn't look too pink to me, more like gold with a bit of the 'edge' removed. This is a Seagull (Chinese) watch I'm thinking about buying, with a mid brown croc band.

rosegoldskeleton2gm.jpg

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
This is a Seagull watch I'm thinking about buying

I am very happy with my Seagull watch.

B14.jpg

rip

Reaction score
I have one pink- and two rose-gold watches. I like the colors; the only problem is coordinating the color with other gold items such as cuff-links or belt buckles, or a ring if you wear one.

Aureus

Reaction score
In the world of watches, Chinese will never be Swiss. Automatic movement or not.

I like the look of that watch, and I like rose-gold. Assuming that watch is an automatic and that the skeleton actually shows the workings of a working watch, rather than a quartz with fake innards, go for it.

ragdoll

Reaction score
Depends also on your skin color.

I was in Singapore last month and one of the watch dealers made a big deal about matching the color of the watch face and case to one's skin color. I had never looked at it that way but when he put a rose gold case/grey faced watch up to my dark skin and compared it to one with a platinum case/white face I was amazed how better the former looked.

Probably a similar principle to that outlined in Flusser's books on clothing for different skin tones.

operationexpat

Reaction score
I've seen them in person--this watch's innards do actually move
smile.gif

The back of the watch is glass as well.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
ragdoll, how dark is dark? I'm white but olive-skinned but sun deprived
tongue.gif

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aureus
In the world of watches, Chinese will never be Swiss. Automatic movement or not.

I like the look of that watch, and I like rose-gold. Assuming that watch is an automatic and that the skeleton actually shows the workings of a working watch, rather than a quartz with fake innards, go for it.

Chinese are not on par with the Swiss...... yet. The japanese were not on par with the US Auto industry at one time (or the swiss watch making industry) but that quickly changed. Lexus and Grand Seiko are, at a bare minimum, the equal to their European counterparts. BTW, Swatch group (which owns everything from Brietling to Omega to Bregeut), has a Chinese manufacturing facility. For the Chinese, it is only a matter of time, no pun intended. Just ask the Scottish cashmere millls.

As for the watch mentioned, I would stick with stainless (and a non skeletal dial) as it is more versatile.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
I'm good on versatile, covered by a stainless Strela w/ blue leather band. Now I need something a step dressier.

Sara, or anyone (skalogre?)... I hear Seagull has an office in Switzerland, or a Swissman in China. Any ideas if this is true?

operationexpat

Reaction score
Carol at the Hong Kong office told me that have a "Swiss watch-maker" on staff. There's a +41 phone number in the back of one of their brochures, but no street address.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
I'm good on versatile, covered by a stainless Strela w/ blue leather band. Now I need something a step dressier. Sara, or anyone (skalogre?)... I hear Seagull has an office in Switzerland, or a Swissman in China. Any ideas if this is true?
You know, I have not heard that but I would not be surprised if Tianjin did that. I am sure they have their capable fingers in many pies including OEM for Swiss companies. I would also go for the stainless myself but I also don't particularly like gold, rose or not. P.s. You mean a Strela Sekonda chrono? Nice! I have to get one of those myself (white dial). P.s. 2 Regarding the Swiss vs Chinese thing.. I agree that there are parts of that equation that are already a sizeable threat to the Swiss - and I don't mean just cheap watches. While the consistency is not there yet, a lot of the examples coming out of high-end watchmakers in China are breathtaking. I like the Swiss cacheT but I also like things like the Seagull; internal design standing on its own merits. It is not like a replica or even an hommage (which the Swiss are notorious for - especially high end mfgs).

Aureus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Chinese are not on par with the Swiss...... yet. The japanese were not on par with the US Auto industry at one time (or the swiss watch making industry) but that quickly changed. Lexus and Grand Seiko are, at a bare minimum, the equal to their European counterparts. BTW, Swatch group (which owns everything from Brietling to Omega to Bregeut), has a Chinese manufacturing facility. For the Chinese, it is only a matter of time, no pun intended. Just ask the Scottish cashmere millls.

Technical Parity and Brand Equality are rather different things. Theres far to much history in the Swiss watch making industry. Swatch has a plant in China for the manufacturing of Swatch branded products, ie cheap $20 dollar watches with funky faces and all quartz movements. Not for the creation of Breitling or Omega branded products.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
P.s.
You mean a Strela Sekonda chrono? Nice! I have to get one of those myself (white dial).

If that's the one with English writing instead of Cyrillic, then yes, and I love it. Bought it off a guy on the pmwf. I would have preferred Cyrillic writing but didn't want to wait for a deal as good as the one I got.

What do you do for servicing it? I had the crown fall/break/pop off one drunken night, and haven't been able to find a place that can replace it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads