Roped shoulders

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Stu, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Stu

Stu Senior member

I'm getting ready to commission my next Chan suit. I'm going to do a tan cotton summer suit, ticket pocket, rear vents and flat front pants.

I wrote Mr Wong to ask about building the shoulders out more. I have full round cheeks, and in my other Chan suit, the shoulders are not so strong and pronounced. As a result, it makes my head look out of proportion. I've posted about this before. Anyway, I asked Mr Wong if they could do Brioni-style shoulders, and he emailed me this image, below, of roped shoulders and wondered if that would work for me. I need stronger shoulders, a la Brioni or Canali, to counteract my big fat head.

I don't think this roped style shoulder is what i'm looking for, is it?

[​IMG]

2. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

That picture of a Kilgour jacket in progress shows a roped, straight shoulder. It's hard to say whether or not there is any extension, which you may want (like Cary Grant).

I've found that Chan can make a good roped shoulder, but sometimes it is not so nice. Something to do with the cloths, I think, and the type of wadding used.

3. Roger

Roger Senior member

Some wise forumer said recently, on another thread, that he felt that almost no one looks good with roped shoulders. I thought about that comment and concluded that he was right.

4. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

i like roped shoulder to be fair i think if you have a slim fitted jkt esp at the waist then if creats a nice shape sort of an "X" it all depends on the rest of the jkt's styling i think

5. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Some wise forumer said recently, on another thread, that he felt that almost no one looks good with roped shoulders. I thought about that comment and concluded that he was right.

iammatt said that, and it squares with his aesthetic preferences. But I think more than a few men can look good in a really well made roped shoulder. It should be reasonalbe - ie not like a ladies' jacket's poofy sleeve caps - and paired with a fairly structured shoulder. It can work on a semi-natural shoulder if the wearer already has strong and square shoulders. The one in the Kilgour photo is lovely.

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Roping look very nice with a pagoda shoulder.

7. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

A pagoda shoulder without a bit of roping or that little roll that some Neapolitan jackets have does not look correct. Hard to do well, though, on a real person, as opposed to a mannequin. Men who have big shoulders will look comical with pitching, but with the right body the effect can be impressive.

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

A pagoda shoulder without a bit of roping or that little roll that some Neapolitan jackets have does not look correct. Hard to do well, though, on a real person, as opposed to a mannequin.
    It helps to have a slim silhouette.

A built-shoulder also requires that waist suppression, which in its extreme forms, only works on slim types.

9. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Stu, it sounds like you want extension, not necessarily roping. Ask them to build out your point to point (say) 1/4" on each side, depending on how broad your shoulders already are. I assume, since you referenced Brioni, that you don't want that excess to droop, so make that clear to them. They should know how to make it hold up with a little padding and horsehair. Roping is, compared to extension, much more trivial and purely aesthetic. It will not address the proportion issues that you raise.

10. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

roping + pagoda + waist suppression is really nice, although almost too feminine.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

!luc

11. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

roping + pagoda + waist suppression is really nice, although almost too feminine.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

!luc

She's stunning, but it's hard to tell if there's any roping there...