• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Roped shoulder and Shoulder to Shoulder Measurement

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you have a roped shoulder, is the shoulder to shoulder measurement generally smaller than it really is. For example, is a 17.5 inch shoulder measurement on a roped shoulder the same as an 18 inch shoulder measurement on a more natural shoulder?

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I measure them both to the same point (the seam). You may wish to add/ask for a dual measurement to be more sure.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
I measure them both to the same point (the seam). You may wish to add/ask for a dual measurement to be more sure.

I realize they'd both be measured to the seem, but on a roped shoulder, the actual shoulder goes much wider than the seem, right? So are the measurements a little deceiving?

asdf

Reaction score
yeah, much like outsole measurements on a 360-welted shoe, or shoe with a giant chunky welt. have to take these things in context and use best judgement.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
I realize they'd both be measured to the seem, but on a roped shoulder, the actual shoulder goes much wider than the seem, right? So are the measurements a little deceiving?

I've been wondering the same thing. I think your right, but the additional roping would only add at most .5" anyway. So I think its not a huge deal unless your going for absolute perfection.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This measurement is called the point to point measurement. Measuring from the seam where the sleeve is attached to the jacket and the point where the shoulder seam meets the sleeve to the center back at the base of the under collar across to the same point on the other shoulder. A roped or natural shoulder doesn't effect this measurement . The width is a factor of the designers intent of the silhouette and may be effected by the slope of the shoulder. If your shoulders are sloped, this measurement has more of an arc shape and would measure longer than very high shoulders that are on a straighter plane.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not sure i understand. What is the difference?

There has been a method of measuring for communicating sizing over the Internet that is unique for that purpose. It is not the same way tailors measure.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's getting a bit late and my reading comprehension is lacking.
I thought you wanted to contrast the point to point measurement, which is arced, to the straight shoulder-to-shoulder measurement.

But since you brought this up, is the straight 'internet sizing' measurement the best measure for this purpose from your point of view?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Measuring straight across the back is not accurate. It doesn't account for shoulder slope.
If you measure a sloped shouldered jacket straight across from point to point and then measure with the jacket on a mannequin or human body and measure from shoulder point, following the arc of the shoulder to the bottom of the under collar to the other point, the distance could be more than an inch different. Better to measure the shoulder width along the shoulder seam from the under collar to the sleeve. This is more accurate of shoulder width.

Freddy Vandecasteele

Reaction score
This is all very good.
Everyboby want to be an expert on mesuring.
The only expert are the tailors who take mesurements and apply them where they are needed
One cannot communiquate exact mesurements over the internet. I have a few mesuring tapes
but I always use the one I took mesurements with to make my paterns.
I have many mesuring instruments and and there is a variance of 1/4 of an inch on different devises That is on 36 inchs scale.
mesurements are a guide and evaluating the slope of a shoulder ,you need a lot of experiance.
I have sen a few devises but I still rely on what I see.
Freddy Vandecasteele

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads