• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Roommate to counter "loneliness"

epliohunk

Reaction score
I sometime feel like I am missing out on my university years because I am living alone. I lived with my girlfriend for a while (now ex) and it was cool to either come home to someone or expect someone to come home everyday...

The problem is not that I don't have friends or anything like that, but because I live alone while most of my friends live with roomates, I feel like I'm somewhat more isolated than they are.

Do you guys with roomate(s) find it more "stimulating" to not live by yourself, to have constant action in the house?

I guess it's kind of a double edge sword, because you loose some of your privacy.

Let's put it that way: if money was not an issue, would you still consider living with a roomate? (consider that I am 20 years old - not 30!)

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have roommates and sometimes wish I lived alone. When I'm alone I just feel like I have more freedom, in an odd way, although I think that's a product of my own hangups.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it depends, when i first moved out to cali, i wanted to live alone. but not knowing anyone for a while, i'm so happy I did get roommates, because even if you're not best friends, at least you can shoot the **** after a long day of class.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
i once lived with three chicks (one moved out 1 month later,i was taking her room) so it was 2 really,for about a year.good times,really good.
ps i was in my early 30's they were both 25 hehe

Astan

Reaction score
I used to roommate with buddies I had since I was a child, so it was a pretty fun time for me. When I went to law school they moved out to SF and I live alone now and it sucks soooo bad. I'm so bored I've turn to styleforvm... just kidding. But I have contemplated getting a roommate but I think my apt is too small for that. Still it gets pretty boring around here.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Depends if you mean a random roommate, or a close friend. Living with a close friend is great, if your apartment is big enough and you both are responsible. Living with some random person or aquaintance sucks.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Depends if you mean a random roommate, or a close friend. Living with a close friend is great, if your apartment is big enough and you both are responsible. Living with some random person or aquaintance sucks.
living with friends is a great way to lose friends tho....

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live with a roommate. It's fine and necessary at the moment. I'm at a point though where I would live alone if money wasn't an issue. I definitely know people though who would go crazy if they were living alone.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epliohunk
I sometime feel like I am missing out on my university years because I am living alone. I lived with my girlfriend for a while (now ex) and it was cool to either come home to someone or expect someone to come home everyday...

The problem is not that I don't have friends or anything like that, but because I live alone while most of my friends live with roomates, I feel like I'm somewhat more isolated than they are.

Do you guys with roomate(s) find it more "stimulating" to not live by yourself, to have constant action in the house?

I guess it's kind of a double edge sword, because you loose some of your privacy.

Let's put it that way: if money was not an issue, would you still consider living with a roomate? (consider that I am 20 years old - not 30!)

Having roommates in college was ok. I'm kind of over it since I graduated a few years ago. Can't wait to get my own place.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm normally a loner - a one man wolfpack, if you will - but I like roommates. In college I lived for 4 years in a frat house with 45 other guys (quit drooling, phags). I just think living alone would suck. No one to talk to, steal bread from, go out for a beer with, etc…

Sure, sometimes you get tired of them but the benefits outweigh the risk when your younger. Im pretty lucky in that we all get along well, never had a fight or anything, but we’re all semi-independent of each other too so we’re not clingy and all up in each others ****. If I wanted privacy I go to my room, problem solved.

Especially when moving to a new city - its easier to find roommates and be cool with them and take on the world with at least a small social circle or wingman then it is going at it alone and trying to make friends from scratch.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having roomates in college is fun, having roomates after graduating and getting a job sucks.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my late teens until I was 21 I lived with my (now ex) girlfriend and (now ex) best friend. It sucked really really bad. Those two would fight constantly despite being very similar and complete slobs. Surprisingly (or not) the friend would complain about us not spending any time together despite going to the same school/classes together, working on cars together, and living together. Dude turned into a total little *****.

Now that I am in my mid 20s I have my own place. I let my girlfriend stay over on the weekends, but I let her know that it is my place. She can leave some stuff there, but I decorate everything and keep it the way I like. This is working out a lot better for me. Occasionally it might be lonely, but for the most part I like my privacy.

Though results may vary depending on your personality. I have some friends that are semi dependent on roommates, but I think a lot of that has to do with living in a foreign country.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To nix it with the negativity here: Roommates can be great if you are and normally remain on the same page and you have some personal space. If you are going to get a roommate get a clear idea of each others expectations - cleanliness, having company over, partying, bills, etc. Clear that up and things should be just fine.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Everyone here is speaking from their own specific experiences, all of which are different. No one can tell you whether or not it will be great or will suck because no one knows you or the roommates you'll have.

I had a roommate in college and we didn't get along at all. By the end of the year we lived together we were ready to kill each other. He got married right after that.

Several years later, after we were out of college, we wound up living in the same city and his wife left and divorced him. We wound up deciding to room together for a while and it was great. He'd grown up. I'd grown up. We're still friends 25 years later.

You won't know 'til you know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads