• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Room Service Tipping?

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never order room service, so maybe this is a stupid question, but is the service charge SEPARATE from the tip? A friend of mine was in town and ordered breakfast pastries and an OJ, for which they charged $19.00, plus a service/house charge of $6.14, and $4.95 in taxes. So that's $30.00 for maybe $10.00 worth of food. Ok... then they have another space for a tip?

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
I never order room service, so maybe this is a stupid question, but is the service charge SEPARATE from the tip?

A friend of mine was in town and ordered breakfast pastries and an OJ, for which they charged $19.00, plus a service/house charge of $6.14, and $4.95 in taxes.

So that's $30.00 for maybe $10.00 worth of food. Ok... then they have another space for a tip?

Where I just stayed, 20% was included automatically. However, once the guy helped me move a table in my room so I tipped extra.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
Where I just stayed, 20% was included automatically. However, once the guy helped me move a table in my room so I tipped extra.
Sure, that makes sense, but here they're expecting an extra tip on top of a 32% service charge, which seems a bit much to me.

victory

Reaction score
I don't usually tip room service. If they didn't include a service charge in the price, I would but I don't think I've come across that yet.

Perhaps the receipt is just a standard slip from the restaurant? Where they have a subtotal, a blank for tip and then a blank for the total?

ts4them

Reaction score
Well, it's up to you. The tax is the tax, the service charge is the service charge, so don't combine them and consider it a 32% service charge, it's 20%. That said, because it's considered and worded as a "service charge", the waiter isn't going to be getting all of it, the hotel is getting a portion of the "tip"- it's kinda shady.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
Sure, that makes sense, but here they're expecting an extra tip on top of a 32% service charge, which seems a bit much to me.

O **** that... that's completely out of line. Don't give a penny.

victory

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ts4them
Well, it's up to you. The tax is the tax, the service charge is the service charge, so don't combine them and consider it a 32% service charge, it's 20%. That said, because it's considered and worded as a "service charge", the waiter isn't going to be getting all of it, the hotel is getting a portion of the "tip"- it's kinda shady.
Well, I believe the $19.00 was the cost of food and the service charge was $6.14. That makes it more than 30% for the service charge alone. Then there's an extra $4.95 in taxes. If you combined the service charge and tax, it would be almost 60% when combined.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
ok i dont really live in a tipping culture, so not well versed on the etiquette, but personally I do not tip anywhere that charges me a service charge - even if there is a menial amount of change there, I will take it.

I kinda resent service charges on general principle, so if a place charges me one, I certainly do not go above n beyond to tip extra.

In the event that I receive superturbochargedwickedawesomepollock service, then I will occasionall wander over and let the boss know that 'that one is really good' - especially in a place where I know the management....but I am still unlikely to tip more.

I have always wanted to refuse a service charge when I have had bad service, never done it though....anyone tried? what did they say?

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no need to tip in that situation. In similar situations, I usually strike out the space given for an additional tip.

Isaac Mickle

Reaction score
I often strike out the line on the credit card-type bill for the extra tip. Then I'll give the person who delivered the food, if there was a big "service charge," a dollar per head served. If it's lunch for two, e.g., two dollars. This is much the way I tip the pizza guy (dollar per pizza, sometimes more for bad weather) or the baggage guy (dollar per bag).

I've worked for tips and I can say a small tip is much much better than no tip at all.

Also, the old saying, penny-wise and pound-foolish, applies in this case. If you are already shelling out $25 for two bagels, two OJs, and a pot of coffee, it's somewhat hypocritical to not give the boy two dollars for wheeling it up to your room. That would eat at me.

So I would suggest, do not order room service if you can not afford to enjoy it properly. And me, I could not enjoy the meal properly if I was full of the anxiety or the self-defensive contempt that so often describes the feeling you get when you chisel the waiter.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
i dont think anyone has suggested 'chisel[ing] the waiter' - the point is the hotel is helping itself to the waiter's tip...and determining how much that service is worth to its customers - which i kinda resent.

This service charge should - in theory - go to the dude that serves you...and at 30-odd-percent in this case, they skimming more than a bit for themselves.

ts4them

Reaction score
I agree with Isaac- if I was already spending an outrageous amount on the food, I would just give an extra 2 dollars but that's just me. I don't think it's stiffing the waiter if you don't because they're getting a portion of the service charge. What's really outrageous is that there's a "delivery charge" on top of the "service charge" (usually between $2 and $4 per head) which goes to the hotel, not the waiter. It should be outlined on the menu (in small print of course) so check it out. Room service operates at a loss so they try to cut their losses at your expense.

N. McKay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ts4them
Room service operates at a loss so they try to cut their losses at your expense.

I'm surprised to hear that. My very limited experience in the hotel industry is that we made more on food and beverage sales than we did on rooms.

victory

Reaction score
On a related note, what would one think of resort fees? These days, it isn't uncommon to have to pay an extra $30 fee per night and it's often supposed to include gratuities for housekeeping. If this is the case, should we be expected to tip the maids?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics