1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Rookie darkens shoes with common household objects

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bleachboy, Oct 27, 2010.

1. bleachboy

bleachboy Senior member

I ordered a bunch of Saphir stuff the other day. It came in the mail this afternoon, and of course I had to bust it out and try it out.

A few years ago, Brooks Brothers unloaded a bunch of Crockett and Jones Weymouths (Peal & Co) for really cheap. So I bought a pair. Unfortunately, I never really liked the color too much as I considered it too pale, plus an incompetent cobbler Topy'd them then used black sole edge dressing on it. Ugh.

I applied one coat of Saphir Medium Brown shoe cream to these guys, and I was like "Hey, they're a little darker!" So I proceeded to cream and buff the shoes about six times, trying to be a little creative with some antiquing effects. Finally, I applied Saphir medium brown wax polish.

I think I could do something even nicer with some Dark Brown Saphir.

The original shoes:

[​IMG]

The finished product:

[​IMG]

The tools:

[​IMG]

2. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

3. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

4. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

I like the new color better.

5. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

The older color was better.

6. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

I like the new color better.

+1. Though the older color was fine too.

7. chrisb0109

chrisb0109 Senior member

Work on the areas where dark cream has settle into the creases, and I think they'll look nice.

8. Newstyle

Newstyle Senior member

The new color looks really nice.

9. MrGimpy

MrGimpy Senior member

Add my vote to the new colour column.

The toes still look quite light, though. Perhaps a little more dark polish around the medallion would be appropriate?

10. bbhewee

bbhewee Senior member

Hard to say how much darker they are. The white balance on your camera must be set to automatic (notice the difference in color on the hardwood floor, which I doubt you've stained in the process[​IMG]).

11. Doc4

Doc4 Senior member

I actually have a pair of those Peals, and really like the original colour.

The new version has some merit, but looks too mottled right now. But following this advice ...

Work on the areas where dark cream has settle into the creases, and I think they'll look nice.

... should help.

12. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

It looks like a pair of lighter shade shoes shined with a darker shade of shoe polish. The overall effect says, "I ran out of the right shoe polish," or "blind shoe shine boy shined my shoes."

If you really don't like the shade, send it to someone who knows how to refinish them properly, like a local shoe guy or an expert like RIDER.

- B

13. Usul

Usul Senior member

I cleaned a pair of shoes with OxyClean once and was not pleased to find that it turned them from a chestnut to mid-brown with hints of eggplant. I suppose the technical term for this is "oxidation".

14. Jack2000

Jack2000 Senior member

They look dirty. Read the shoe antiquing thread that Ron Rider wrote. You need to strip them and use some dye, then polish.

15. apropos

apropos Senior member

New one looks terrible, like you wore them to work in a coal mine and didn't brush the coal dust away. Or you tried to polish with a darker shoe polish because you ran out of your regular light polish.

16. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

New one looks terrible, like you wore them to work in a coal mine and didn't brush the coal dust away. Or you tried to polish with a darker shoe polish because you ran out of your regular light polish.

What a crabass. Nobody will think you just came out of a coal mine, for crying out loud. The old color was nice, but I like the newer look as well- everyone will have an opinion on what the "best" brown is. I do agree that you need to buff them out a bit more. Also agree that dye will give you better and more lasting effect. The polish will wear off.

17. apropos

apropos Senior member

My friends call me crabass.

You can call me apropos.

18. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Original colour is far better. Fortunately you can get it back.

19. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

I LOLled IRL.

BB, try brushing them a whole lot (especially in teh creases). I have done something similar and trust me, after a wear or two you will wish you never did this. Fortunately, it is reversible.

20. bleachboy

bleachboy Senior member

Hey, I had fun doing it, anyway! [​IMG]