1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Rome

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Matt, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Matt

Matt Senior member

ok a friend lent me the DVD box set of Rome, season 1.

Ive never heard of it before, and box sets are a big commitment, so question for you guys - is Rome worth it?

2. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

ok a friend lent me the DVD box set of Rome, season 1.

Ive never heard of it before, and box sets are a big commitment, so question for you guys - is Rome worth it?

I enjoyed it, and I try not to take on too many new serieses. although the ending isn't exactly a surprise.

3. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

I thought it well acted and well-written. It was good enough that I generally tivoed the West Wing and watched Rome instead, though to be sure I wouldn't have done that when Aaron Sorkin was writing TWW.

4. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

I liked the series (it's only twelve or thirteen episodes long, so it's not a HUGE commitment). The series actually takes place over the course of a few years. As was stated above, the ending isn't exactly a surprise, given that it centers around the rise of Julius Caesar. However, the acting is quite good, and I particularly enjoyed the stories relating to the Vorenus and Pullo characters (plus, the woman who plays Vorenus' wife, Niobe, is absolutely beautiful). Beyond that, there is quite a bit of graphic violence (especially in a gladiator scene toward the end of the series) and some gratuitous nudity, so it's got that going for it...which is nice.

5. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I enjoyed it, and I try not to take on too many new serieses. although the ending isn't exactly a surprise.
    I was blown away by the ending; seriously, I never saw it coming (damn public school system). j/k Jon. I wonder if they do a second series, will they pick up just before Octavian becomes Avgvstvs?

6. globetrotter

I was blown away by the ending; seriously, I never saw it coming (damn public school system).

j/k

Jon.

I wonder if they do a second series, will they pick up just before Octavian becomes Avgvstvs?

I don't know where they will pick it up - but I am sure they will start it over, it went pretty well.

there is a whole 'nother civil war to cover.

7. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Oh, oh, let me guess, the praetor did it! [​IMG]

I have been meaning to see that (I don't have cable). Must rent it.

8. globetrotter

Oh, oh, let me guess, the praetor did it! [​IMG]

I have been meaning to see that (I don't have cable). Must rent it.

it was colonel mustard, in the study, with the candlestick

9. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

Hey! No spoilers! m@T hasn't seen it yet.

10. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Actually it was Brutus in the Senate with a knife.

Jon.

11. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior member

I thought it was great, just another excellent show from HBO. I don't remember ever studying any of it, so it kind of was a surprise for me, at least the smaller plot twists. HBO originally paid for (I believe) 2 more seasons, but after all was said and done they apparently had second thoughts, it's an expensive show to make. Happy with Big Love right now, and counting the days 'till Deadwood comes back on the air.

12. javyn

javyn Senior member

Rome was an excellent show, of the usual, superior HBO quality. Yes, the ending IS A SURPRISE, even if you happen to know Caesar is killed by Brutus. I preferred Deadwood to Rome honestly, but Rome is still a very good show. And much better written and acted than that abysmal Sopranos garbage.

I am eagerly awaiting season 2, which should start filming in 07. Seeing Octavian develop into Augustus and his coming conflict with Mark Anthony should be a BLAST!

13. Matt

Matt Senior member

yup, its good.

up to episode 5, very well made.

tks guys.

14. bryce330

bryce330 Senior member

I loved Rome and would definitely recommend it. I didn't realize it was out on DVD though - is it an authorized release or did you get a bootleg?

15. Matt

Matt Senior member

I loved Rome and would definitely recommend it. I didn't realize it was out on DVD though - is it an authorized release or did you get a bootleg?
    im in Vietnam....there are no authorized releases. I agree with the sentiments above, it was very good.

16. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

"Meanwhile Rome grew from the ruin of Alba."