• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rome season premiere

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I mean, where else are we expecting the series to go after the battle of actium and cleopatra and antony's death there really isn't too much for the show unless they jumped ahead to maybe calligula or nero or something.
They did a mini-series called I, Claudius. Haven't seen it, but I read the novels by Graves...VERY good. Livia makes Atia look like .... well.... a sweetheart.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm sure the miniseries was great, but it's kind of old. I'd recommend just reading the novels if you have time. I, Claudius and Claudius The God. Well worth it if Rome interests you.

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
I shall hate you forever for posting this while I am mid download.

Sorry, man. My bad. It didn't occur to me that people might be interested who didn't watch it. I'll be more careful if I write about TV shows in the future.

bryce330

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maharlika
Vorenus didn't die.
What gives you that idea? He definitely looked to be on his deathbed and then Pullo told Octavian that he didn't make it. I guess they never actually showed him dying or his funeral but I don't know why Pullo would lie to Octavian. If I didn't know better I would think the last episode was setting things up for a new season, what with Atia's comments about destroying Livia and Cesarion's vow to avenge the death of Cleopatra. I am really going to miss this show.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bryce330
What gives you that idea? He definitely looked to be on his deathbed and then Pullo told Octavian that he didn't make it. I guess they never actually showed him dying or his funeral but I don't know why Pullo would lie to Octavian.

If I didn't know better I would think the last episode was setting things up for a new season, what with Atia's comments about destroying Livia and Cesarion's vow to avenge the death of Cleopatra. I am really going to miss this show.

I'm pretty sure the real son of Ceasar was in fact murdered. Rome did deviate in places from history, but I don't think they'd do something that drastic as to fabricate roman history.

bryce330

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
I'm pretty sure the real son of Ceasar was in fact murdered. Rome did deviate in places from history, but I don't think they'd do something that drastic as to fabricate roman history.

Yeah, that's why I said "if I didn't know better." Although they did basically fabricate history at several points during the show.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
caesar's son by cleopatra, caesarion, was indeed murdered by octavian after the invasion of egypt

(if i recall my history right, he had been sent out of alexandra before the invasion with mark anthony and cleopatra's children but was somehow tricked into returning to alexandra at which time he was murdered)

and if i recall the comments from the producers at the time it was first shown, they didn't claim to be accurate about the history and took dramatic licence to fit in a good story, they were more concerned with "authenticity" of the time period

and that was the end of rome, the show was actually poorly received ratings-wise and with a $100 million budget for each season, it was a huge financial burden to continue it and as such, the plug was pulled

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
well I successfully boycotted this thread til I watched it earlier tonight. Good wrap up, had a bit of everything.

RIP Rome, big budgets, small audiences and all. You will be missed.

Now what do I watch? When do they give me Entourage back?

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
well I successfully boycotted this thread til I watched it earlier tonight. Good wrap up, had a bit of everything.

RIP Rome, big budgets, small audiences and all. You will be missed.

Now what do I watch? When do they give me Entourage back?

We get Entourage (and the Sopranos, for that matter) back on April 8th. Don't know about you "off worlders".

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
ahh that just means I get torrented up on the 9th. Thanks.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't understand the small audience. It was one of the best shows ever imo. I didn't like the new octavian when he started, but by the last episode, he had grown on me. It sucks that it wasn't more successful, but at least we got 2 seasons out of it.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
m@t wrote: Now what do I watch?

Try Showtime's Dexter. You won't regret it.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. I can't believe **** like 24 is still going strong, and HBO gives the world Rome, and gets nothing in return. I'm also glad that Showtime is trying to compete, although it's production is still a bit too slick and at times cheesy compared to the more raw HBO. I loved Weeds and Dexter, but that sleeper cell show was like 24 with swearing...

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
I agree. I can't believe **** like 24 is still going strong, and HBO gives the world Rome, and gets nothing in return. I'm also glad that Showtime is trying to compete, although it's production is still a bit too slick and at times cheesy compared to the more raw HBO. I loved Weeds and Dexter, but that sleeper cell show was like 24 with swearing...

I also really enjoyed Brotherhood on Showtime. Not sure when or if it's coming back for a second season. I'll have to give Dexter a second look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads