• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rome: Returning to Eternal City (Trip Report & Photos)

Merckx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the report and the pics. I was in Rome November of 06 and October of 05, and I would say it was 50/50 on polite salespeople/waiter/waitresses and rude ones. I thoroughly enjoyed my visits and I'm looking forward to my next in about a year. Thanks for the scouting report, I'll have a few new places to check out.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess I would prefer the cold and aloof behavior in retail stores, but usually get the opposite. I would prefer salespeople leave me alone until I decide I have questions, then be attentive, but this doesn't happen at most places.

bryce330

Reaction score
I prefer salespeople who are friendly but leave me alone unless I have a question or want to try something on. This is the kind of service I get in most stores in Rome - the salespeople usually greet me with a smile and a "buona sera" but they don't go out of their way to speak with me. However, I agree that the staff at Battistoni are extremely snooty.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for a wonderful report and nice pictures of the stores and hotel. Did you get a chance to check out Gatto? The price for custom shirt is very good at Rubinacci considering a Kiton shirt costs $600 here and €360 at Knize. I assume the price is for starting fabric, right? How much at the London store? Did you notice any difference between Rubinacci and Battistoni shirts in terms of construction?

The best type of salesman is to acknowledge me when I enter the store, offer me help when I need it, and leave me alone when I am just browsing. The worst kind is the one that trails behind me everywhere I go.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
...The best type of salesman is to acknowledge me when I enter the store, offer me help when I need it, and leave me alone when I am just browsing. The worst kind is the one that trails behind me everywhere I go.

+1(10^8)

Please, keep posting these pics
smile.gif

sloaney

Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
Thanks for a wonderful report and nice pictures of the stores and hotel. Did you get a chance to check out Gatto? The price for custom shirt is very good at Rubinacci considering a Kiton shirt costs $600 here and €360 at Knize. I assume the price is for starting fabric, right? How much at the London store? Did you notice any difference between Rubinacci and Battistoni shirts in terms of construction?

No, I didn't really get a chance to check out Gatto. On Saturday, after seeing Mimmo and Francesca, I had lunch, checked in, and had a really long bubble bath.
smile.gif
I like bathrooms with windows ... I guess this makes me kind of perverted ... and my bathroom had windows on both sides since it was at the corner of the building. To have just arrived in rome and checked into a suite at the St Regis, soaking in the bathtub with classical music streaming in from the adjoining bedroom, and knowing that you have some pleasant times ahead in the city ....
smile.gif
It was 3:30pm before I knew it so I only managed to hit a few stores. The next day I had a guided walking tour with 4 other visitors (all Americans, very warm people). The tour guide was English but had lived in Rome for 16 years. He specialized in Rome and was extremely eloquent (I am a big fan of the British U accent if you recall....)

I didn't look carefully at the Rubinacci and Battistoni shirts. I would probably not consider them, given how well Mimmo and Francesca treated me even as a relatively small customer. (I saw shirts they made for a client that ordered 600 shirts a year, duplicates for his various houses across the world.) Personal service does mean something to me, probably more than the snob appeal of a famous label. I did see Battistoni offering Riva fabrics.

I would say that the Mimmo Siviglia shirts are impeccably made, with stitching significantly finer than Jantzen's (perhaps not a fair comparison at all). I will certainly be delighted to post photos of the first batch of my Siviglia shirts when I receive them.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
You seem like a nice guy, but...the practice of bringing these animals into high-end stores is infuriating to some people.

sloaney, thanks for the great report! It's too bad you received such varying levels of service. How did the Rubbinacci shirts compare to Battistoni?

PB- I am familiar with both Battistoni and Rubinacci shirts. I have not owned one from Battistoni but have looked at them pretty closely and do own a couple from Rubinacci although he is not who I regularly use. Both Rubinacci and Battistoni make a basically machine stitched shirt. Rubinacci does attach the arms and collar by hand and does handmade buttonholes and hand-attaches buttons. I believe that Battistoni does a little less by hand, but it is not really relevant. Siviglia is about the same as the others as well. All three are top quality makes. The styling is completely different between Battistoni/Siviglia and Rubinacci. R favors a slightly fuller shirt with more shape through the middle as you would see in a jacket. He also likes a slightly longer shoulder line. I think that he makes the worlds best button-down shirt as his default fits my idea of what a button-down should be. I go elsewhere for dress shirts, although his are very nice. The other two make a more classic Italian cit shirt that tends to be a little stiffer and smaller. Neither make a really stiff shirt though. I think that the overall taste level at Rubinacci is a few steps higher. In my mind only Charvet really compares on that level.

Kasper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

I think that the overall taste level at Rubinacci is a few steps higher. In my mind only Charvet really compares on that level.

Is "taste level" a sartorial term? It has a nice sound to it. I was also wondering if Rubinacci has any stores in California?

sloaney

Reaction score
I'm really interested in this taste level thing. Can you elaborate?

P.S. BTW when I asked for prices at Rubinacci, he said machine made was EUR250 and up, handmade was EUR300 and up, whatever that means.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sloaney
I'm really interested in this taste level thing. Can you elaborate?

P.S. BTW when I asked for prices at Rubinacci, he said machine made was EUR250 and up, handmade was EUR300 and up, whatever that means.

Umm. It is pretty self explanatory. The fabrics, accessories etc tend to be chosen at a higher level of taste than at almost any other shop in the world. The only other competitor would really be Charvet. This is not just my personal opinion, but tends to be a pretty widely held belief. THis does not mean that it corresponds to your personal taste, but Mariano is generally known throughout Italy as one of the people with the best eyes around for fabric. Possibly the best. Even people who don't like him (and there are many) are very ready to subscribe to the above opinion.

sloaney

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Umm. It is pretty self explanatory. The fabrics, accessories etc tend to be chosen at a higher level of taste than at almost any other shop in the world. The only other competitor would really be Charvet. This is not just my personal opinion, but tends to be a pretty widely held belief. THis does not mean that it corresponds to your personal taste, but Mariano is generally known throughout Italy as one of the people with the best eyes around for fabric. Possibly the best.

Even people who don't like him (and there are many) are very ready to subscribe to the above opinion.

I see, do you see this 'taste level' being relevant in custom shirts, insofar as customers are steered away from inappropriate choices?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sloaney
I see, do you see this 'taste level' being relevant in custom shirts, insofar as customers are steered away from inappropriate choices?
Depends. If you know what you want, it makes no difference in the world. If you want help, it does. Siviglia is an excellent shirtmaker and you are more than fine there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads