• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rome advice please

MaxJones

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I'm looking for advice on stores, shops and tailors in Rome. I welcome any advice, insights or observations you have. I'll be looking for beautifully classic, elegant clothing and shoes, though I prefer not to spend any more than I have to. I'll be in Rome for the winter, so I'll have plenty of time to try out suggestions and give feedback. Perhaps a trip report with sources will come from this.

I'll be searching Via Condotti and other posh venues which I know will have plenty of fashionable desiderata, but I'm hoping to find some discounts or at least good values. I'm particularly hoping to find something along the lines of a Roman Century 21 or Neimann's Last Call, if such places exists.

Thanks,
M

Below I've listed a few suggestions from previous SF posts on Rome.

Davide Cenci
Battistoni
Eredi Pisano
Battistoni
Caraceni
Mimmo Siviglia
Rubinacci
Santoni Store at end of Via Condotti

MaxJones

Reaction score
Really? Nothing?
eh.gif

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're not likely to find any discounts or good values. The B&S Forum and ebay are your best bets. The dollar, while getting better, still sucks and Italian retailing is designed to appeal to tourists with more money and romantic ideas than shopping sense. There are outlets outside of Florence and certainly other places but they are, at a minimum, way out of the way.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You've got a nice list, although you left Boggi off, and that's a good place to visit. I've read somewhere that Pisano has seasonal sales, and their Italian prices are already below those in the U.S. I like their stuff.

DSC_1259.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think Davide Cenci is overrated. In Rome, it's essentially a department store that sells designer clothes from all over the place--including lots of Polo and Burberry.

If you're going to be there for so long, it might be worthwhile to checkout Rubinacci's Naples location. The Rome store is really just a small satellite.

I second the Battistoni recommendation. There's lots of cool stuff there.

Most importantly, eat lots of carbonara.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've just come back from Italy and the pickings in Rome were rather slim. Boggi is okay but nothing special, lots of 'own brand' stuff. Battistoni is worth a look certainly, remember to go further into the courtyard and not to make the mistake of thinking that the first part with mostly women's stuff is the whole thing. I didn't buy anything in Rome except for a couple of ties from a street seller (!) - quite a character, he said that he was 'Paul Greenberg' and made the eponymous ties that he was selling for 150 Euros or so, quite well made with interesting fabrics and contrasts but not for me. He had short hair on his right side, long hair on his left side, tied up in a ponytail. He wore something that I can only describe as like a Austrian hunting jacket and grey flannel MC Hammer low crotch pants.

daniele6

Reaction score
For ties go to Cruciani & Bella in Piazza San Lorenzo in Lucina (at the west end of Via Frattina).
Lots of Holliday & Brown, the most complete selection of Drake's in Italy, 50oz 7-folds from a neapolitan independent maker and Thurston braces of every kind/color.
For Gallo knit ties (if you like them) check out the Gallo stores in Via della Vittoria, near Piazza di Spagna.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^
I could have done with this info before I left
smile.gif
I didn't see any Gallo ties, only Gallo socks...

Shopping was much better in Milan.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
outlets and workshops on outskirts do exist with good stuff. do some interweb diggin'

mr. magoo

Reaction score
Eredi Pisano in Rome is a chain with a few outlets. Decent quality, fair prices and much broader selection than in NYC -- reminds me of what Faconnable used to be once upon a time.

Also, if you're there for long enough, I'm pretty sure there are a series of outlet malls -- kind of like Woodbury Commons -- in Italy that are probably worth checking out. Do the usual searches and you'll find.

MaxJones

Reaction score
Thanks for the interesting and diverse suggestions. I don't think I'll be seeking out Paul Greenberg necessarily, but I will be investigating many of the other spots.

I'd like to think that there are discount stores and outlets around Rome but I could easily just be presumptuous and wrong. The dollar is gaining a bit but still very weak, of course, but I don't have the impression that Romans are swimming in euros either. To put it more succinctly, the demand is there for deal hunting.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh, I wouldn't even know how to direct you to find Paul Greenberg, though I think he was in one of the lanes leading up to the Piazza Novana, but they all seem to merge into one after a while. I did get a very nice Marinella and a cashmere Stefano Ricci from him.

From my own research, I believe the best outlets are located close to Florence. Rome has a few small C21 type shops in town.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads