• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

romantic weekend in NYC -- moderately priced restaurants, things to do?

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

I'm looking for a moderately priced restaurant in NYC (we'll be staying in midtown) for our anniversary. For me that means ~100 total bill (assuming one drink apiece). So entrees I guess 30 max.

Also, any recommendations on stuff to do? We've been there before (and my wife lived there) but it's always fun to hear what others do.

I know we will hit the Metropolitan Museum and the Cloisters. Other than that, I'm not sure. No horse-drawn carriage, I know that. And we probably won't bother with any shopping.

thanks.
bob

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Assuming midtown, you could try Landmarc in the Time Warner center. Not exactly a "romantic" restaurant, but a good deal and dinner can be had for around $100. They have the best wine deals in the city and lots of half bottles.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If (and I know this is a big if) you can stretch the budget and if (and this is also an if) you really like fish and seafood, I would really recommend trying Esca (W43rd St). The food is just incredible.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Hi guys.

I'm looking for a moderately priced restaurant in NYC (we'll be staying in midtown) for our anniversary. For me that means ~100 total bill (assuming one drink apiece). So entrees I guess 30 max.

Also, any recommendations on stuff to do? We've been there before (and my wife lived there) but it's always fun to hear what others do.

I know we will hit the Metropolitan Museum and the Cloisters. Other than that, I'm not sure. No horse-drawn carriage, I know that. And we probably won't bother with any shopping.

thanks.
bob

The Cloisters is always fun. I love that place.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Cafe Lalo is very, very cute -- a UWS cafe. Ceci-Cela is a Francophilic cafe in Soho with the great pain au chocolat -- good for breakfasts!

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know some very good ethnic resteraunts - chinese, thai, deli - let me know if you want details.

we went a lot to the Met.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
La Goulue is a very nice Parisian style bistro on the Upper East Side and it's not exorbitant, IIRC.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rd,

Rene Pujol does a Prix Fixe for $44/per -- I had quails there that were stunning. And it is cute in a grand way; you go down a floor and it is small and creamy and very French. Website: http://www.renepujol.com/

I really don't remember what it ran us, but down in SoHo we were treated to an excellent, very elegant meal at La Metairie -- complimentary this and that &c. Really adorable inside, all French country farmish and...cozy would be the best word. No website, but reviews: http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguid...ew_york_city-i

Those are the main ones that occur to me -- and oh, you must see if you can grab a drink on the roof of the Met!! The views are stunnnnnning, but it does fill up, as there are few free rooftop views in the City.

Best (and happy Anniversary!),
Huntsman

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
Not in Midtown, but NYC is a small place...

Never been, but hear this place is very good: http://www.prunerestaurant.com/.
Also near there is Pylos. Very good Mediterranean/Greek food, romantic, and not too pricey.

For after dinner, you should try checking out a bar called Milk and Honey in the Lower East Side/Soho area. It's like a speakeasy, the atmosphere is very low key, Billy Hollidayesque music, and most importantly, AMAZING drinks. Be sure to ask what fresh juices they have that particular night and order something with them. They'll run about $9-$12 apiece.

One thing to note, you CANNOT just show up to Milk and Honey and get in. You have to call in advance and tell them when you'd like to go. Then, they'll call you back and tell you when you can show up. In my experience it's always within 30 minutes of your requested time. The phone number is unlisted (but you can I'm sure find it online). If you're looking for something romantic, you can't do much better than this.

Have fun,

Dan

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Go to Balthazar in Soho. Great food for the prices. Their ribs (divine) are only about $27-$30.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, great sounding recommendations guys. I'm sure I'll find one for our anniversary, and maybe we can even try another a different day.

Thanks!

bob

Mustapha

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Go to Balthazar in Soho. Great food for the prices. Their ribs (divine) are only about $27-$30.

I second this. Dinner for two no booze with tip about $100. Nice room. The smartest dressed Nyorkers go there too; I kid you not. Walk around the nabe before you have dinner; lots of smart shops.

-Moose

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I know some very good ethnic resteraunts - chinese, thai, deli - let me know if you want details.

NYC is great for ethnic food. One of my favorite places there is Lima Taste, a Peruvian restaurant in the west village. The variety of ethnic food in NYC is stunning.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Ceci-Cela is a Francophilic cafe in Soho with the great pain au chocolat -- good for breakfasts!
They make the best viennoiseries in NYC. They made our wedding cake too
smile.gif
, a traditional croquembouche with three different flavors of choux
inlove.gif

More in Nolita than Soho though

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$50 pp is not that much in NYC but if I had to recommend something, that would be the non-formal room of some great restaurant (they share the same kitchen as the Michelin 3-star dining room and the food is really awesome, although a bit less emphasis on expensive ingreditents and generally not white cloth tables) - i.e. two suggestions:

#1. The Tavern at Gramercy Tavern (Gramercy)(http://www.gramercytavern.com/gramercy_tavern.html), really a lovely, romantic room and great food

#2. Nougatine at Jean-Georges (Columbus Circle)
(http://www.jean-georges.com/) Not exactly as creative and upscale as Jean-Georges' incredible tasting menu, but still an awesome dining experience and very cosy dining room. Plus the kitchen is open on the Nougatine dining room - it's exciting to watch and you'll see Jean-Georges Vongerichten there pretty much every night.

Both are priced in the $25-40 avg entree zone

I would not go to a tourist restaurant like Balthazar. You're in NYC, take that opportunity to sample some of the great chefs here

Prune is awesome but definitely a bit more casual (French corner cafÃ
00a9.png
type of setting)

Tasting Room (http://www.thetastingroomnyc.com/) is another great choice but I have not yet been to the new location. The restaurant is owned by a chef and wine merchant so there is a strong emphasis on the food x wine experience (wine pairing, etc.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads