• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

romantic restaurants

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are some good romantic restaurants in NYC that won't **** my wallet? In my opinion $300+ for a meal is just impractical and too show off-ish.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
300+ for a meal exemplifies a number of things:

You are financially stable enough to spend 300+ on a meal.
If you do the research (or come here asking for advice), you'll likely find one of the better restaurants in the city.
You make reservations (
boxing[1].gif
)
You take your date out, to this restaurant, completedly assured that you're well-heeled (you are a SF member, after all) and ready to wine and dine this lady.
You know even the teensiest bit about wine so you can request one that either isn't on the menu, or is the perfect pair for what you anticipate you both will order.
You love the finer things in life, and you're looking for someone to share those with.

You get the draws.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
300+ for a meal exemplifies a number of things:

You are financially stable enough to spend 300+ on a meal.
If you do the research (or come here asking for advice), you'll likely find one of the better restaurants in the city.
You make reservations (
boxing[1].gif
)
You take your date out, to this restaurant, completedly assured that you're well-heeled (you are a SF member, after all) and ready to wine and dine this lady.
You know even the teensiest bit about wine so you can request one that either isn't on the menu, or is the perfect pair for what you anticipate you both will order.
You love the finer things in life, and you're looking for someone to share those with.

You get the draws.

$300 for a meal with wine isn't really that much, although $300 just for food is substantial. Keep in mind that $300 would barely buy you a good bottle of champagne at a nice restaurant.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
$300 for a meal with wine isn't really that much, although $300 just for food is substantial. Keep in mind that $300 would barely buy you a good bottle of champagne at a nice restaurant.

Discreetly go for the corking fee.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Discreetly go for the corking fee.

That's usually a good approach, especially if there are restaurants with no corkage, which seems to be the case for some neighborhood type places in NYC etc. There are a number of very good restaurants in the LA area which don't have corkage. The only issue, though, is that you still need to buy the wine that you're bringing, and if you're going to a nice restaurant, you will save a bit of money by bringing your own but it will still cost a reasonable amount for good wine, especially with a corkage fee added, unless you're only bringing a bottle of bubbly, or something like that.

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117

Im in college
musicboohoo[1].gif

Mentos

Reaction score
If you're both in college and it's not a huge "commemorative event," pick any of a number of lovely places in NYC where the romantic ambience makes up for food that's in the 3 of 5 star range. Wish I could think of a place, but there are a million in the West Village, Soho, Tribeca, UWS, etc. Avoid the mid-town expense account places--some have amazing food, but they're looking for people for whom money is no object, not you. If you do this, you can get a fine dinner with reasonable wine for about $150.

Rather than going for the bling factor, just avoid wasting what you don't have (deniro), and instead use what you do have (time, thoughtfulness, and feelings for her). Plan the night to a tee. Suggestions: send along a bottle of wine from her home region, if she's from No. Cal. (or if some other (not $10) wine has particular import for her or for the two of you) and you can do corkage; stop by during the day to pick a table and leave a rose to be placed at her seat just before you both arrive; have a bottle of affordable bubbly ready for presentation at a chic but cozy bar near the restaurant or back at your place (that popular one with the yellow label works well--I'm so unrefined); make sure your fuggin' apartment/dorm is cleaned up for the afterparty...

I'm not sure what you should do if it's a commemorative event. I'd probably just do all of the above, but with more style. Might pick a slightly more "wow" place.

I open this up to others for specific ideas on places. I would suggest the Tabard Inn if you were in DC, but you're not...

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nobody has any other suggestions for $100 +/- romantic restaurants?

mizanation

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackplatano
Im in college
musicboohoo[1].gif

that explains a lot about you, young man.
tounge.gif

for really cheap, romantic eats, why don't you buy some cheap take-out and have a picnic, or go to the park? or you can have a candle-lit dinner at home.

for cheap restaurants, check out the reviews at menupages or other places online.

someday, you'll appreciate the finer and more expensive things that new york has to offer. but, i have to admit, in college it wouldn't haev really made any sense to me.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackplatano
^^^ Does 100-150 take you nowhere now days?

This says a lot about our members. I suggest you check the forums on chowhound for some specific recommendations. The posters there tend to have a prolific knowledge of their local restaurants.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just don't know NY restaurants well enough to help you out.

Where I live you can eat most anywhere for under $200 for two people. New York can be a little pricier, but you should be OK

I don't buy that you cant find good Champagne for much less than $300 a bottle. It just isn't so. There is a ton of good Champagne that you can drink for circa $100 a bottle in a restaurant. In fact, I think that a lot of what you can find at that price is actually better than what you pay $300 a bottle for. Usually I don't like to pay more than about $80 for a bottle of wine. I am much more of a food guy than a wine guy, especially when eating out.

In other words, you can get a great meal and have a great time within your budget. Don't sweat it.

I wish that I could suggest somewhere specific. I know that being young and eating good meals is a real treat. It used to be our favorite thing to do. It still is but now we are not young.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mizanation
someday, you'll appreciate the finer and more expensive things that new york has to offer. but, i have to admit, in college it wouldn't haev really made any sense to me.

That's a really ignorant and condescending comment.

Regardless of the motive, the guy at least wants to try and experience another form of sensuous beauty in life. Any dissuasion on account of his being unable to 'appreciate' it is really a crime against humanity. Perhaps some people were too immatrue to appreciate fine dining while in college, but making it a generalization smacks of compensation.

blackplatano, I haven't been in the City for a year, but Rene Pujol in Midtown and La Metairie in (or near) Soho should fit the bill. Both are small, quiet, elegant, and French with real service and naturally quite fine food. IMMSMC, price should be in your range; stop by and look them over, menus should be posted in true NYC style. Bringing your own bottle is a good idea; the hard part is knowing what you'll be eating ahead of time. Usually I can get a wine that will add to the meal in the 35-50 range in NYC -- but if you're not up on wine, ask what they would suggest with your meal, gesturing toward something on the wine list in the price range you're interested in. Common request with an understood meaning.

Go out and enjoy,
Huntsman

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BP:
As a member of the poor student segment, I have a few modest recommendations for eating on a budget (sans EtOH).

Romantic, neighborhood feel, decent quality food:
(<$60 for two, no alcohol)
1) Tartine, West Village. Packed like sardines. Cheap, very good, duck confit during the Fall and Winter months.
2) Blue Ribbon Bakery, West Village. See above. Excellent bread.
3) Malatesta, Far West Village (super cheap <$50 for TWO!)
4) Genaro, UWS. Nothing special, but very good Italian good for a reasonable price (~$60-65ish)
5) I Coppi, East Village. Better during warm weather. Great outdoor seating.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are any number of 'nicer' restaurants where you could easily get out for $200, including wine. Do a little research (chowhound or egullet) and do not listen to anyone who recommends One if by Land. I find less formal places to generally be more romantic than 'fancy pants' where the service often feels forced. Also, avoid of-the-moment places where the overwhelming crowds, noise and invariably ****** service will destroy any hope for a romantic evening. You could do far worse than bringing her to Savoy for dinner and then a nice drink afterwards at Temple Bar or Angels' Share, or maybe a quiet meal at Bridge Cafe and then wander through the deserted 18th century streets of the Seaport....
bigstar[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads