Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by pickpackpockpuck, Jan 1, 2012.

1. melonadejello

melonadejello Senior member

It has nothing to do with this thread buddy, the same thing already happened at Nomad.

2. sexonfabric

sexonfabric Senior member

Have emailed frances may...

3. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

For me the problem isn't stuff falling apart, it's the quality of the fabrics. I haven't always been impressed with the stuff I've handled. Same goes for this season, with a few exceptions (like the double layer vest from this season and the flight pants). I liked spring 2012 because it looked like some of the materials were getting better, but no stores bought any of it. Fall went even more in this direction, with lots of great wool and tweed stuff, but I'm a little nervous that nobody is going to pick any of it up. We'll see...

4. AlexInExile

AlexInExile Senior member

The dip dye sweater at Blackbird is $310. They're sorting through emails now to determine the remaining stock..

5. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

You should keep those if they didn't sell. I have them too and they're like my favorite things ever

Embrace the ninja shorts!

6. artishard116

artishard116 Senior member

I can see where you're coming from. I've handled certain things that felt fantastic but have been unimpressed by a few shirts and stuff.

7. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

Some of the older wool pants I've found have been pretty nice. The stuff I don't particularly like are the thin cotton jackets and basically a lot of the cotton stuff I've seen. I'm not anti-cotton (ahem, shah). I just see stuff sometimes (thinking of a particular jacket I saw at Barney's co-op a week or two ago) that looks and feels pretty cheap, but then it's still like $350. If the design were really cool it would be one thing, but for a basic zip jacket it leaves me expecting more.

8. artishard116

True. The zipper blazer/trench is my favorite fabric in the world. Soft, sort of shiny, color changing, awesomeness.

9. Nil

Nil Senior member

I get compliments every time I wear that zipper blazer from just about everyone I see.

10. Razele

Razele Senior member

Dont really know why people are expecting Jil / Raf / Rick level fabrics out of Geller

Pricing for Geller is way way lower then plenty of other designer lines, I would look at something like Stephan Schneider as a comparison.

I havent had a problem with any pieces I own, and I own quite a few bombers.

Kopped the washed midnight lamb riders jacket from FW10 (IIRC)

Its pretty damn nice, similar to ToJ washed lamb, damn happy with it.

11. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

His leathers always look pretty gross in stock photos to me - overdistressed. They're nicer in person?

12. Razele

Razele Senior member

They arent distressed at all IIRC, just object washed, like rick leathers

13. artishard116

Agreed that the stuff is like half the cost of a lot of other designers. Wouldn't compare to schneider fabrics though, that's a losing comparison...

14. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

Geller strikes me as a mid-market brand, even if he is showing with his high-end contemporaries. That's pretty cool to me, actually.

15. Razele

Razele Senior member

Well man I have heaps of Schneider, Jil, Raf by Jil, Raf, Margiela so I sorta know what Im talking about

Schneider fabrics are nice, but the designs are same same and the aesthetic is really different - Im talking about what you get for the price, the materials, the quality of construction etc

I would say they are in a similar area with a different target market. Geller's aesthetic and designer vision is something that is severely lacking at the moment. His use of color, his cuts, are spot on. His design elements are unique. If we were only paying for fabrics and 'quality' then its probably better to transfer to MC.

It was a long decision between Rick and Geller for me, dont really see many other lines with good vision ATM besides those two, Margiela is dead, Raf is pretty lame (up till SS13 preview the other day) and TBH I find alot of SZ brands to be really derivative (Poell / Rick or bust). Schneider is good, but he doesnt change (thats his point).