1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by pickpackpockpuck, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Callusing

Callusing Senior Member

Based on the out-of-stock notices, looks like M&S didn't stock a ton of it either.

2. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Distinguished Member

I really hope it’s just a down season.
    I know a lot of places dropped geller (East Dane, Toto, NMWA) and the few new stores that picked him up had really small, boring buys.
    Ssense is the only store with a good size buy, but with that said I don’t know what Moda has.
    I can totally see this season not being appealing to stores, but next season looked really good and I hope there’s more stockists for SS.

3. mcfly26

mcfly26 Senior Member

I've raised this a couple of months ago, but it actually concerns me. What kind of funding does he has? I really dont want him losing his edge and the jump to a more global brand (like stockists in Europe). Even Patrik Ervell got stocked in Europe for a while (Matches.com). Dont want him following the same path and finding another brand to design for. I dont know, with his business model, he needs stockists.

4. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Distinguished Member

It is concerning, definitely.
    But there’s also the GVA line which has picked up a handful of stockists. I have no clue how well that sells though (I honestly find zero appeal to it) but that could bring in revenue. And he does have some financial backing from the Japanese group but i don’t how much or how that works

5. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Distinguished Member

GVA seems to have deep stock during final clearances

6. itsPronouncedSteven

itsPronouncedSteven Active Member

The retailers/sites I frequent sold out of GvA stuff pretty fast compared to Geller in my experience. Both hit sale, but most of the GvA stuff I was looking at sold out during first reductions, while Geller sat until it was really deeply discounted

But yeah, as a huge Geller fan, I'm pretty concerned for the future, seeing as a lot of stockists are dropping Geller

7. John Grady Cole

John Grady Cole Senior Member

D588D3D7-2F69-4733-AF4D-4C9DC18B99B2.jpeg

I love Geller and the #brickbomber is my most treasured article of clothing I own, but haven't been interested in much lately. The brick bomber was like $500, two years later a charcoal bomber is $1100, a purple sweatshirt that says "Berlin" or something is $400, the nice subdued jeans were replaced by striped clown pants, a long sleeve tshirt is $250. The things I have liked (Tank pants, some of the photographer shirts) I just couldn't convince myself to spend $500 on.

I know he can't control the cost of materials and he said in an interview a couple years ago he was tired of everyone wanting dipdyes, but it sure feels like he momentarily lost the spirit of some of his earlier work.

Spring 2019 looks amazing, but the price will be high and it seems like many stores won't stock it. Sad, as I really love his work.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018

8. melonadejello

melonadejello Distinguished Member

anybody have the ss17 enzyme wash pants in black, 44 or 46?
    might buy any black pants you have to sell from spring seasons.

also looking for an aw17 dip dye hoodie in S

9. Callusing

Callusing Senior Member

Same. I've got the khaki rendition of the same bomber and it's the only bomber that's ever found a long-term home in my closet. That was probably the last season I found a lot of product I was interested in, though there are still elements I like in each collection.

I've bitched here before about the fit, and that's been the killer for me (though I know it's a selling point for a lot of y'all)...even if I liked Geller's stuff since 2017 or so, the fit on the tops and jackets has made them a complete nonstarter. I look at the recent bombers and denim jackets, see 50-inch chests on a 46, and have to pass. (The Fenix bomber and Konrad blazer were both pieces I loved in theory but that looked / would have looked terrible on me.) Similarly, a lot of the pants have been great, but about half of em have had some detail so that I know I'd never wear em.

And to your point, the prices are often so high these days that I can't justify buying Geller stuff that I'll love wearing infrequently like I used to.

I stick around because he's still on paper my favorite designer in the biz, (and the only designer I still follow closely these days) and he puts out a lot of beautiful clothes. I just have no desire to wear most of it, and even less desire to purchase it. That mostly reflects the distance between current trends and my own tastes, but maybe it's broader. Frankly, given where his designs were a few years ago and given where the market moved since, I expected he'd be on a rocketship by now.

10. keanswon

keanswon Senior Member

I think some pieces that Robert wants to have produced at the scale of his business just have to be priced at those levels; it's not just fluctuations in "the cost of materials" that goes into costing.

I agree it's sad to see a lot of the stockists go. It's a tough business and a fickle market today. Much of New York men's fashion feels dead. Robert is one of the few remaining still putting out genuinely cool collections that aren't following some fleeting hype; he's always put out beautiful collections that were true to him, and he's historically been a bit ahead of the curve in my opinion. (Side note — Has anyone else noticed how many Suicoke collabs that Ssense alone has picked up in the past few years? Not saying Robert is solely responsible for this, but I certainly hadn't see as many of these collabs before he did his. That's just one example.) Sadly I think that often the ones that profit the most are the ones that follow very closely behind the pioneers.

And combined with the fact that the market is now more about the hype than the craft + beautiful products. A lot of the brands today are digital marketing machines... Their game is more, "market the shit out of some mediocre products —> create hype —> sales," rather than "create beautiful clothes." Even the ones that make really nice products are all over Instagram lol it's actually really sad.

At the end of the day, the thing about RG pieces is that there are pieces from every single collection that I would consider gems if some kid were to find em in a vintage shop 30 years later.

As for the recent RG collection fits, I've personally found a lot of pieces to work really well on me. The AW17 Thomas Coat and Felix Bomber, for example, might look a bit big on the listed measurements, but they have great shapes when worn.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018

11. el Bert

el Bert Distinguished Member

392EC7CC-7B64-4ECB-B07B-B6EBEDA93F7A.jpeg
    Gonna sell a couple of Geller bombers this one from ss13, I guess only one ever made. Also tencel In mustard color. Sepia is a size 48 and tencel is a 50. Lemme know if you’re interested.

12. CityHunter

CityHunter Distinguished Member

Off topic, but Geller related...this popped in my head when someone above mentioned RG was his fave designer. This happened many years ago - I was in NYC and met up some friends for drinks. Met a friend of a friend and starting talking about fashion (noticed he was wearing Common Projects, and I needed to fill dead air with conversation). We got on the topic of favorite designers - I of course mentioned Robert Geller. He responded that he didn't like Geller, because his designs were too normal and boring. He then said his favorite designer was Patrik Ervell. WTF

I ran into this guy again years later at a wedding, and I remained cold to him. I'll never forgive his sins

13. Darkside

Darkside Distinguished Member

I impulse kopped these Bball highs because I found them new in my size and I’ve always admired them from afar.

Also realized I have no idea what to wear them with. Any ideas, inspo, or fit pics?

0DBCDB30-D14C-4991-B560-A47CB26FA077.jpeg

14. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I've had a pair for two years and wore them once. Can't figure it out either.

15. el Bert

el Bert Distinguished Member

4B7619F5-A60A-4FEF-941E-5D6C05328BBC.jpeg

Here’s another fit pic of that Stefan bomber. It’s a size 48.