Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by pickpackpockpuck, Jan 1, 2012.

1. kubrick555

kubrick555 Senior member

I haven't seen the seconds tank tops anywhere. Sucks, I like them as layering pieces.

Sounds like that was the last season for Seconds. I hear it'll only be mainline this Fall.

2. APK

APK Senior member

Honestly, that's what I've been thinking since the spring-summer stuff started coming out...or not coming out. On top of what you mentioned, it seems like more stuff didn't go into production than usual this past season. And they've had a couple people leave recently, which could either be a case of moving on to other endeavors or rats fleeing a sinking ship.

3. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

he said he's designing for 2013..

4. kubrick555

kubrick555 Senior member

5. variegate

variegate Senior member

The two people who left went to pursue their own interests. One to start their own line, another to do styling full time. (at least that's what one of them told me)

I've also been frustrated with the lackluster buys and growing number of stores who are dumping Geller (or ordering mega-small buys)
    He has still been winning awards, everyone likes his stuff - it's just not selling well apparently.
    Some of the individual pieces are odd, or lackluster. Maybe missing the single-mindedness of his earlier work. (Dark, Romantic, ruthlessly detailed)
    I'm hoping that having to hire some new designers under him will reinvigorate his line. We'll see.

As for that shirt - Google Translator tells me it's a limited edition item for an event in Japan at "American Rag Cie"
    Hence the AMCxRG

Cool type, though. I like it.

6. variegate

variegate Senior member

Also - I'm still not over the fact that no one ordered the mustard tank tops.
    I've been waiting for a tone-on-tone layering piece for my DANZIG/PRUSSIA shirt for a long ass time, now.
    Dammit.

7. kubrick555

kubrick555 Senior member

Yeah, I dig the type. Cool tshirt.

Last edited: May 31, 2012

8. melonadejello

melonadejello Senior member

Aloha Rag ordered the mustard tank but never put it online, maybe give them a call or email

I called Barney's a few days ago to see if they still had something in stock before the sale started and they basically told me none of their Geller was going on sale because the associates wanted it all so I don't think there is a lack of demand.

9. variegate

variegate Senior member

Just called Aloha Rag - their Seconds tanktop order was canceled.
    The girl on the phone assumed it just didnt go into production because she doubted they would have canceled it themselves.
    Blech.

10. Desi

Desi Senior member

wow that sucks big time. was looking forward to that too. Meh, guess I am done for S/S then.

11. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

Wow. I wonder what the company's finances are like. I can't imagine they're making much money at the moment for all the reasons already mentioned. I suspect they've been aiming for as broad an audience as possible since their stuff has actually gotten cheaper and they're not exactly using the finest fabrics. I wonder if they'd be better off reversing course and aiming for a very high-end, niche consumer. Maybe try to shed the jeans and ts and focus on really cool outerwear and knits and do some nicer bottoms. (Just talking out my ass here with no real knowledge of how they're actually doing, in case that wasn't clear.)

12. APK

APK Senior member

Well, if they continue on with the jeans + button-down shirts course, then the brand is of no interest to me. Their jeans fit oddly and the shirts have never appealed to me.

13. artishard116

artishard116 Senior member

yeah, my moto pants were too big up top and tight in calves :(

14. Meis

Meis Senior member

I've had the opposite experience...I've liked some of the shirts but have had to sell them as the fit doesn't work for me. The jeans vary- some have the weird fit, but for fit and fabric the olive jeans from last F/W (slim up top, slightly less taper than other geller jeans), as well as a similar fitting light gray pair from 08 are probably near the top of the list of my favorite jeans.

Also, as far as business, don't they sell a lot in Japan?

15. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

i like the roomy thighs and tight calves