1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by pickpackpockpuck, Jan 1, 2012.

1. K. Nights

K. Nights Senior member

Quite a shame about the leaf print shirt. It seems like nobody picked up the tan/red color at all since M&S got the blue/red.

2. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

is there something i'm missing about the leaf print shirt? it looks like a regular cotton shirt with a leaf on it... for $400?

3. Mojo1990

Mojo1990 Senior member

It looks really nice.

4. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

And the cut is really good if you're into that sort of thing.

5. keanswon

keanswon Senior member

I'd say it's the silhouette more than the leaf print. it's cut like a square in the body, so all the extra fabric looks cool. at least to me. and it's breezy enough to wear during the summer.

I really am not sure how it'd work :/

on a different note, the Massimo bomber does fit huge just like everyone was saying... I don't mind roomy, but it's just too long on me. really sad to say but I think I'll have to let mine go.

6. ThaiToast

ThaiToast Well-Known Member

Is there something I'm just missing about current Geller? It all seems nice but suddenly it's $1,300 for a coat? Feels like Geller has really seriously ramped up prices the past couple seasons.

7. OccultaVexillum

8. Mojo1990

Mojo1990 Senior member

I recall someone saying the retail price reflect the current strength of the YEN in the global market. I know from the shirts I own that they are made in Japan (not sure about the entirety of his collection) which perhaps goes a long way in explaining the markup.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  9. jibak

jibak Senior member

Im (pleasantly) surprised that the brand survived this long in the first place. Compared to plokhov geller has successfully moved far enough away from just making reiterations of helmut lang archives, and the direction seems to have somewhat found its niche. Its about time that the price point rises above the rookie player status even though i still consider the brand as strictly sales rack and second hand market material as far as coppage value. Miss me with the you have to pay retail to keep the brand afloat bs. Plus... that standalone flagship store aint gon just build itself.

And speaking of 20 fockin yen u no speak engrish theres no baby here tonight i think its more about geller having to pay back his financiers rather than the production cost.

10. conceptual 4est

conceptual 4est The Classic Gentleman is Back

There may be other things at play, but the fact is that all of the mainline collection is produced in Japan and the JPY has gained around 17-20% on the USD in the past year

11. mementomoriarty

mementomoriarty Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    That is going to require some further explanation in order for me to understand

12. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

I'm pretty sure that what he's saying is that following the split of Plokhov and Geller and their collaborative work, Geller has done a much better job with finding his own style and "aestethic" than Plokhov has (who just does reiterations of old Helmut Lang collections)

1 person likes this.
  13. Timbaland

Timbaland Senior member

I'm a little surprised and happy Geller is still around now too with how much of his stuff makes it to sale and how many stores carry his line in North America which has changed over the past few years. Maybe (and hopefully) his stuff sells really well in Japan.

I really like his line and try to buy a couple pieces at retail every year but my wardrobe is getting filled and I don't have a need for some stuff anymore. I have 2 bomber jackets and a hooded one, a sleeveless hoodie, 4 or 5 sweaters/sweatshirts, 2 Richard pants, 2 jeans, 3 tanks, a few tees, and a bunch of his seconds line hoodies and tees. I also just got married and with the wedding cost and saving up for a house I can't really afford to buy anything now.

With that said I don't get the feeling that he is jacking up prices to pay back his financiers or anything like that. I have never felt he has done any of this to get rich, I truly believe he loves what he does.

I always felt that John Elliott was a more streetwear take on Geller and used him as inspiration for a lot of his designs and layering. I feel Geller could have done that with his seconds line but didn't. Also with that said I don't like the brand John Elliott, some of the people in there and some stuff about them rubs me the wrong way but that is a whole different story.

3 people like this.
  14. Callusing

Callusing Senior member

I was gonna get some Suicokes anyway, and a couple of the Geller Suicokes just hit sale. Did anybody grab a pair of those, and how are they? I'm thinking the neoprene heel cap could either be really awesome or really annoying.

15. jibak

jibak Senior member

Imo there are better standalone suicoke models or collabs with other brands but i too succumbed to copping a geller collab just because. Its not mind blowing or anything... The heel cap is not a nuisance in any measure.

16. OccultaVexillum

This thread is too doom and gloomy.
    I ordered the Luca pants, everything I have is black, navy or grey so these should be dope. I'm thinking of the cupro shirt for the next kop.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  17. Mojo1990

Mojo1990 Senior member

Opening Ceremony new drop,
    Raphael Bomber Jacket
    Garment dyed Bomber
    Long shirt

18. OccultaVexillum

Link? I don't see any Geller on OC.

19. Mojo1990

Mojo1990 Senior member

Sorry I meant East dane [​IMG]

20. mementomoriarty

mementomoriarty Senior member

Thanks @kindofyoung, at first I had interpreted the comment as Geller was doing archival Helmut Lang. Though I'd still argue with Plokhov's career after Cloak with half a decade of his creative namesake label he can't just be reduced or dismissed as "making reiterations of helmut lang archives".