Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by pickpackpockpuck, Jan 1, 2012.

1. kubrick555

kubrick555 Senior member

My Spring 2012 ones stretched out a lot, had to sell them. Stretched in the waist and ass area, making the top block look like shit.

2. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

^ Good to hear, got the black 5 pocket skinny denim in and the fit is great everywhere except the waist is a little big. Would slide right off if it wasnt so tapered. Not a dealbreaker but would be if they stretched more beyond that...

The material is really nice and its really comfy out of the box...and its still made in japan fyi...even though totokaeloman says its made in china

Edit: oh shiiet, now undecided after reading kubricks post =\

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014

3. saywordsahn

saywordsahn Well-Known Member

On second thought I would agree with kubrik. The waist on mine has stretched a bit. I was more concerned about thigh stretch.

4. ipractice

ipractice Senior member

Anyone hear about the black leather/suede cp mids? Been waiting for them since the pics were dropped in this thread.

5. novaliss

novaliss Well-Known Member

There are at least two. The runway one was given to a model.

On second though, I just can't part with it so the listing is down. The sudden flurry of attention made me feel like it was already slipping away from my fingers.

I believe Barneys did carry it, although I cannot confirm 100%.

Yup, that's me haha. Did you put the pieces together because of my instagram?

6. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

Same random thoughts on the items I've handled so far this season at Barneys and Maas and Stacks (nice guys btw).
    + the tencel bomber. This is the piece that I really wanted, the one that Geller always seems to wear. Was pretty much ready to kop either the black or the khaki (maybe both?), but for some reason it didn't really get the[​IMG] reaction. The material is light, it's washed. Up close, you can see the washed treatment. The fit is pretty relaxed and it's got that drape. The sleeves are pretty long, but that's cool. The black looked really good on the SA, but it just didn't look right on me, and the khaki was nice, but I couldn't pull the trigger at 6 bills. Now looking at the fit picture, it looks pretty big, I should've tried on the 46, but I thought that would be weird, considering I have bombers that are 50.
    + flight pants. same material as the bomber. prefer the tencel from f/w 2013, more substantial and not washed.
    + richard blazer. pretty much the same thing as we've seen. I've never tried one on before, but as you probably know, it's pretty light, unlined and more relaxed than...say...the zip blazer. more like a cardigan.
    + richard pants. seemed pretty relaxed with a sharp taper. not really sure how it'll hold up since it's unlined (i think?) and pretty light/thin material.
    + illusion shirt. nice design, pretty much what you see. material is on the thin side.
    + constructed shirt. didn't try on, but it looked really well made. each panel is like stitched on. material was also more substantial and thicker than the illusion shirt.
    + the cross-dye sweater. fit is slimmer and more cropped than the fit on the dip-dye. material is thick. it's actually the only thing so far that has gotten that [​IMG] reaction. only thing is that the price is enough to make one pause. but if I could only choose one thing to have this season, this might be it...

...anyways...bomber fit too big?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. melonadejello

melonadejello Senior member

I have jeans from every season SS11 and on. They generally fit me a bit loose in the waist like that, if I want to put anything in my pockets then I definitely have to wear a belt.
    I do notice that they shrink back up when I wash them but I don't notice them being stretched out really.
    The FW10 ones on the other hand, stretched out like a motherfucker

Also that tencel bomber looks pretty good to me. I wear my SS11 one with the sleeves pushed up pretty much 99% of the time

Yeah I figured you were one and the same when you posted the pic of the jacket.

[/quote]

Are you referring to the highs from last fall? That pretty much sold out everywhere? SSense, Totokaelo, ForwardForward?

Can you clarify this? Where do other designers succeed at this where you think he fails?
    At least you can tell his seasons apart.
    Half the designers on SSense and TheCorner are 3 pages of black and white button downs and slim black trousers year after year and people hold them all in very high regard -.- MMM will be nice enough to throw in some navy, gray, and cream
    Every other designer does literally the exact same sneakers twice a year and you're getting on RG for making Achilles in a spring version and a fall version?

Each seasonal variation is unique the majority of the time anyway. A FW11 Richard jacket is nothing like a FW13 Richard jacket.
    The only zip blazer that matters is SS11
    Ditto for dip dyes but the new one is pretty cool and different
    Every jean jacket he makes is unique, the closest crossover was the SS13 indigo one and the SS11 indigo one which you couldn't even get in the US
    Some I have liked very much, some I have not liked at all.
    Flight pants are awesome, and again, each one is usually unique but with some carryover in following seasons SS12-FW12, FW13-SS14
    If a version comes out that you like better, sell your old one and buy the new one and don't cry that you are losing money because you have already gotten use out of the old one
    Each season is not necessarily an upgrade. Sometimes the opposite...

Also FW14 has no dip dye, no flight pants (exactly), no hooded bomber

In any case, isn't this where the buyers are to blame? And the customers? You gotta do what brings in the money

8. ipractice

ipractice Senior member

[​IMG]

These ones.

Hmm thought they were different but maybe you're right. The ones from last season seemed like they had a brownish suede versus all black.

[​IMG]

9. ipractice

ipractice Senior member

Btw, how did the long flannel from barneys warehouse work out for you?

Because if it didn't work out, you should let me know :nodding:

10. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

^ sure thing man, won't arrive til Monday...

11. keanswon

keanswon Senior member

100% agree with @melonadejello 's post above.

the ONLY dip dyes that ever really mattered (although the darker new one is pretty cool):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. kubrick555

kubrick555 Senior member

Uh oh, dipdye arguments. I actually liked FW12 dipdye in the green best - love the oversized fit. I know people don't like the gradient effect on that one as much though. I have the hooded dipdye from 2009 which is pretty awesome, but I'm not into hoodies as much anymore.

Dbear, interesting comments on the cross dye. I've only see gravity pope, maas and Nomad get it in so far? Nomad got the beige version. Price is definitely a tough pill to swallow.

Dbear the bomber fit works - you can wear that shit slim or you can wear it like that. I've seen Geller wear it both ways. That's the story with a lot of Geller jackets - I bounce between a 46 and a 48, but either can work for me - bigger size just leaves more layering potential.

Melo, some of the denim jackets are pretty damn close. SS13 Sepia vs. FW13 Black is the same no? I love both, but wouldn't cop both bc it's just a different colour. And they are very close to that Fred Segal collab. Anyway, just splitting hairs, I agree with your sentiments.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014

13. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

^ it's pretty dope. There is always something that you don't expect to like until you see it in person. The arms are slim, it's thick. It's heavily treated, or overdyed (several times I think?) It's going to fade in cool ways. You really can't even see the cross (indoors). I want to see what happens when you wear the crap out of it.

I don't know how many retailers will get it (in addition to the ones you mentioned), maybe none since it was a first delivery. I'm going to try to get it soon after sales. But, not that optimistic considering M&S already sold some at retail.

14. artishard116

artishard116 Senior member

dbear buy that khaki bomber asap. looks great.

15. melonadejello

melonadejello Senior member

@kubrick555 you got me on the jean jacket, but the fall one is blanket lined :p
    SS and FW 11 had the same belted design too, and FW11 and SS12 for the zipper one

I like the green gradient and I have to agree it was better, or at least more exciting than the midnight but I don't like the base gray on the FW12/SS13. I guess that's kind of wardrobe dependant though.
    Also raglan shoulders. That's what really makes one so much better and wearable than another for me haha