• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread

artishard116

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
those are great. blackbird is good especially with price matching. would like to find a place in the city I can try things on at though. sounds like rag is worth a shot.

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blackbird wouldn't tell me what they bought but they said that their S/S buy is nice and includes more smaller sizes. They were even low on 46's this F/W.

artishard116

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they price matched my trench to somewhere that only had a different color in a different size and it was on sale. then it dropped again right before i ordered and they matched that. awesome.

melonadejello

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Blackbird wouldn't tell me what they bought but they said that their S/S buy is nice and includes more smaller sizes. They were even low on 46's this F/W.

Before last season they told me they were getting a "Raglan Bomber" and a "Jersey Bomber" but neither ever showed up on the website.
I suppose it could have been something they sold in store and never bothered to put on the site, I know they did that with some OV jeans this season. So it might be worth asking them once in a while if they have stuff other than what's online.

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ i'm not ! just that sweater :uhoh:
no i'm genuinely curious why you all enjoy his stuff. fabrics ? can't be--there are 1500 better designers for that. fit ? pants are marsupialed-looking (though comfy). ingenuity ? impossible. colors? limited. price point ? plausible. easily worked into existing wardrobes ? would ruin the challenge and creativity. mmm replica replicas ? i don't know who ever bought any. alwaysnever ? the guy is illiterate at best and worked for geller. romantic european in nyc ? my stuff is made in japan.
tell me. i need to know !

Simple, I like the way it looks (including the colors, the fabrics, the cuts, etc.) There is some truth to the points you make—mmm replica replicas have always kinda mystified me, for example. On the other hand, I don't think it matters where his stuff is produced; that Thom Browne has stuff made in Japan doesn't make his designs any less American. But in the end it's about personal preference, and there is no way to change an emotional reaction with logic. If you want me to examine it in more depth and get all psychological, I think part of that preference comes from the way Geller draws on imagery and art that has always appealed to me—dark, slightly gothy stuff that can be both austere and sentimental. I listen to a lot of classical music and old punk and post-punk sort of stuff; Geller's work fits right alongside both, despite the fact that they're very different. The feeling of nostalgia and romance in his work reminds me of the nostalgia and romance in some of the art I really like. That point of view, whatever you want to call it, he captures quite well. Also, to some degree, I like it because it is accessible in a way that something like Ann D. is not, both in terms of design and price. It's nice to be able to occasionally buy some of the stuff without having to scour Yoox for leftovers.

melonadejello

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

blackbird is one of the few places that carry 44.
I'm not big on geller either, but I own two of his curved-placket fencing shirts and they are nice.
RCdmw.jpg

TWO?!?!!!? That's not fair, pass one on man!!!! :laugh:

I almost bought one once but they said it had sweat stains and my gf didn't like it :/ haha. I've realized now that her opinion usually sucks.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

Simple, I like the way it looks (including the colors, the fabrics, the cuts, etc.) There is some truth to the points you make—mmm replica replicas have always kinda mystified me, for example. On the other hand, I don't think it matters where his stuff is produced; that Thom Browne has stuff made in Japan doesn't make his designs any less American. But in the end it's about personal preference, and there is no way to change an emotional reaction with logic. If you want me to examine it in more depth and get all psychological, I think part of that preference comes from the way Geller draws on imagery and art that has always appealed to me—dark, slightly gothy stuff that can be both austere and sentimental. I listen to a lot of classical music and old punk and post-punk sort of stuff; Geller's work fits right alongside both, despite the fact that they're very different. The feeling of nostalgia and romance in his work reminds me of the nostalgia and romance in some of the art I really like. That point of view, whatever you want to call it, he captures quite well. Also, to some degree, I like it because it is accessible in a way that something like Ann D. is not, both in terms of design and price. It's nice to be able to occasionally buy some of the stuff without having to scour Yoox for leftovers.

well this is exactly what i wanted to know and i'm sold on the idea of you liking it. i'm actually compelled to go with you to the park slope store, we can dodge baby carriages and get some icead cream at uncle louis g afterward :embar:

(i still don't like but who cares)

Last edited:

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Bird sends all the Geller to Williamsburg (not surprised really). The Park Slope location, which is the one nearest me, never seems to have anything.

i'm actually compelled to go with you to the park slope store, we can dodge baby carriages and get some icead cream at uncle louis g afterward :embar:

Well played, sir.

Last edited:

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

well this is exactly what i wanted to know and i'm sold on the idea of you liking it. i'm actually compelled to go with you to the park slope store, we can dodge baby carriages and get some icead cream at uncle louis g afterward :embar:
(i still don't like but who cares)

Hah. That's ok. I don't need people to like everything I like. We can definitely get some ice cream if you're ever in Brooklyn, though I know of a few better places than Uncle Louis G's. We can give Bows and Desi a ring and see if they're done at Aloha Rag, then all go get a cup of Turkish coffee. :nodding:

bows1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hah. That's ok. I don't need people to like everything I like. We can definitely get some ice cream if you're ever in Brooklyn, though I know of a few better places than Uncle Louis G's. We can give Bows and Desi a ring and see if they're done at Aloha Rag, then all go get a cup of Turkish coffee. :nodding:

Van Leeuwen ?

We got get Desi in town first!

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had some Big Gay Ice Cream the last time I was up there. Aloha Rag sent me a list of their buys. Not a lot of stock pieces though. Like 1-2 in each size. No mesh mesh tanks but some of the tees with the reverse tees.

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Van Leeuwen is good but it's a truck so no place to sit. There's a Thai place called Sky Ice (every time I read that I think, "Do you mean 'snow'?") that has really good ice cream. A lot of exotic-fruit flavors like durian, and even a black sesame seaweed ice cream. http://parkslope.patch.com/articles/at-sky-ice-a-thai-take-on-ice-cream

Wow, I wonder if it's typical for AR to get so little stock. What are the highlights?

bows1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Van Leeuwen is good but it's a truck so no place to sit. There's a Thai place called Sky Ice (every time I read that I think, "Do you mean 'snow'?") that has really good ice cream. A lot of exotic-fruit flavors like durian, and even a black sesame seaweed ice cream. http://parkslope.patch.com/articles/at-sky-ice-a-thai-take-on-ice-cream
Wow, I wonder if it's typical for AR to get so little stock. What are the highlights?

Van Leeuwen does have a storefront in Greenpoint. Bedford and Manhattan Ave next to Manhattan Inn

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll link the AR's list when I get back home. There outerwear buy is nonexistent. Hope there really is more. Just when I talk them up...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads