1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Roman Holiday-Peck's collar

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by texas_jack, Aug 29, 2007.

1. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

I saw this movie recently and realized that Peck's style in this movie best represents my ideal. I'm trying to reproduce the shirt collar but I don't know how to describe it. Peck and his editor are wearing the same type of collar. It is "floppy" if that helps.
    [​IMG]

Also, I just think Gregory Peck is the man.
    [​IMG]

2. Fabro

Fabro Senior member

Can't help you with the collar, but I love this movie as well.

3. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

It's a point collar with longer points and worn without collar stays. If you were going to a tailor, just bring the picture to get the spread right.

The movie is from the early 50s, before everything got dark and narrow.

4. Homme

Homme Senior member

Haven't seen this movie in years, does he keep the tie tuck throughout ? Was tucking the tie common in this era ?

[​IMG]

5. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

It's a point collar with longer points and worn without collar stays. If you were going to a tailor, just bring the picture to get the spread right.

The movie is from the early 50s, before everything got dark and narrow.

Exactly, though I believe this collar is a bit longer than was usual for the time...the mid-40's to mid-50's were pretty medium, more or less.

6. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

7. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Too long.

I'm a man of fairly substantial proportions (6'4" 250) so I think it'll work for me. Also, if you've seen the movie the collar goes with his suits quite well because they are long with lots of drape.

8. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

I'm a man of fairly substantial proportions (6'4" 250) so I think it'll work for me. Also, if you've seen the movie the collar goes with his suits quite well because they are long with lots of drape.

The collar is just a slightly long point collar with a soft interlining. But man, those lapels are wide...

9. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

Haven't seen this movie in years, does he keep the tie tuck throughout ? Was tucking the tie common in this era ?

I was in Oxford just sort of killing time (waiting on somebody looking at something in the Bod) so I went to one of the big hotels at the center of the town to have some tea. they sat me at a table next to these two very old gentleman (late 80s or 90s.)

I got the impression through my eavesdropping (what? I was alone and bored) that they had been at Oxford together before the war. I believe they were scientists at Oxford, or at least that one of them was, because he was talking about how jarring it was to the physics community to be cut off from all of the important people and work going on in Germany.

Anyway, the point is, they were the absolute picture of British trad- DB navy blazers, red suspenders, and- yep- tucked ties.

10. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

^ The Randolph maybe?

A physicist who can afford tea at the Randolph - I wonder if they were spending their Nobel prize money... [​IMG]

You do get a few well dressed academics round the place, even they are a dwindling minority now. I've noticed a few Professors and PhD's suits and jackets lying around at Ede from time to time.

11. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

While perhaps not identical, I believe iammatt's collars from Anna M. are similar.

12. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

^ The Randolph maybe?

A physicist who can afford tea at the Randolph - I wonder if they were spending their Nobel prize money... [​IMG]

I got the impression that they were back at Oxford for some sort of reunion (it seemed like they hadn't seen one another in some time) and so they have done something other than academia later in life.

Also the Randolph does sound right.

13. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

While perhaps not identical, I believe iammatt's collars from Anna M. are similar.
    Indeed. Mine are a very moderate spread with long points and the softest possible interlining. Generally, they do have collar stays, but some do not. I use the flimsiest stays available. My shirts have a touch more tie space and little bit higher collar band. I actually asked her to make me a collar style that was similar to Italian movies from the 50s and 60s, and so it is. BTW, if you get a collar like this, do not assume that you will ever have it look perfectly straight or pulled together like many that you see. It is definitely a case of give and take, but I much prefer it to stiff, wide spread collars, at least for my face and disposition. I also tuck the narrow end of my tie into my waistband. Even bespoke ties I have made long enough to do so.

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I like to tuck my tie into my waistband. It's usually the narrow blade though, since it always ends up longer than the front.

15. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

You guys must be pretty short. [​IMG]