• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Roma Roma Roma

sloaney

Reaction score
Just booked my Alitalia flight and room at St Regis Grand (I believe this is where Tom Ripley stayed in my favourite film).... I'm really looking forward!
smile.gif

I'm hoping to see the famed shirtmaker Mimmo Siviglia as well during this short weekend trip (flying in Sat morning, leaving Sun night). I'm thinking of dedicating Saturday for shopping and Sunday for sightseeing, possibly with ContextRome, which uses art historians as their guides.

I'm here to ask for some advice.....

I assume most shops are closed on Sunday and so I should do most of my shopping on Saturday?

Any unique shops I should visit (small shops, not Brioni/Borrelli)? I'm thinking it would be nice to find unique and high quality leather goods, for example, that would be hard to find out of Italy or would have cost much more.

Any SF members in Rome who'd like to meet up for coffee, please PM me!

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, are you in Europe already?
Not in the capital myself but I'd be surprised if there were many (decent) clothes shops open on Sunday; gifty-type shops and some chain shops should be though. Safer to do as much shopping as poss. on Saturday.
Hope you have a good time.

PS. Bad weather is forecast for later in the week. Dress warm.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sloaney
I'm living in London now!

maybe after the weekend you'll change your mind...
inlove.gif

sloaney

Reaction score
re: london

i like the history, the architecture, the old buildings and all ..... but it's all just so dull.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you might check out serafini in rome-- actually, all the places listed by flusser in 'clothes and the man' in the rome section might be fun.

my mother visited a while back, and i asked her to bring me anything from serafini. the store manager could not believe i had even heard of the store, as they very rarely had visitors from outside the rome! she had a great time in this small shop. also, there is a very cute girl working there, or at least she was when my mother visited-- of course, my mother told her all about me but alas, i never had the opportunity to meet her
plain.gif

WN2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
you might check out serafini in rome-- actually, all the places listed by flusser in 'clothes and the man' in the rome section might be fun.

my mother visited a while back, and i asked her to bring me anything from serafini. the store manager could not believe i had even heard of the store, as they very rarely had visitors from outside the rome! she had a great time in this small shop. also, there is a very cute girl working there, or at least she was when my mother visited-- of course, my mother told her all about me but alas, i never had the opportunity to meet her
plain.gif

Sounds interesting. Can you give some more information about the store since I'm going to Rome in a couple of months and would like to check out any interesting places myself.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx

plain.gif

Foxx: You are married and your mother is telling you about hot chicks?

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well...i guess my mom pointed this out in more of a doting-mother kind of way, but when i saw the photos from the store, i seem to remember thinking she was awfully cute AND italian....what a combo!!

here is a short list from flusser's book, i think-- my copy isn't with me. will you at least take photos at brioni for me?

Angelo, Via Bissolati 34
Battistioni, Via Condotti 61A (i heard this one is hard to find, but not to be missed)
Brioni, Via Barberini 79 (the very first Brioni store, opened in 1945 I believe)
Caraceni, Via Campania 61B
Massimo Datti, Via Bocca de Leone 89
Gatto, Via Salandra 34
Micocci, Largo Fontanella Borghese 78
Old bond Street, Via Gregoriana 47
Carlo Palazzi, Via Borgognona 7E
Serafini, Via Condotti 62

I also found this comment, from another forumite, very interesting--

"BTW, Borrelli in Rome was pretty damn cheap

A friend of mine bought two shirts for 170 euro's each. And they weren't even on sale. I bought 2 linnen shirts for 225 euro each.

For comparison, I also bought a tie and pochet at Brioni as gift for my father, that was 175 euros. So a Brioni tie in Rome is more expensive than a Borrelli shirt"

I think there are seveal threads on the forum about rome, if you were to search it (or serafini, which would likely contain the other shops discussed as well)

good luck, and have a great trip-- just PLEASE take a digital camera, and post pix on the forum! a request from a member working far away from civilization...

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Massimo Datti? I wonder if that is where Inditex got the idea for their Massimo Dutti brand...

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Roma Roma Roma,
core de stà città ,
unico grande amore,
de tanta e tanta gente,
che fai sospirà .
Roma Roma Roma,
lassace cantà ,
da stà voce nasce un core,
so centomila voci che hai fatto nammorà .

Roma Roma bella,
t'ho dipinta io,
gialla come er sole,
rossa come er core mio.

Roma Roma mia,
nun te fa cantà ,
tu sei nata grande
e grande hai da restà .

Roma Roma Roma,
core de stà città ,
unico grande amore,
de tanta e tanta gente,
ch'hai fatto nammorà .

worship.gif

bryce330

Reaction score
You are picking a great time to visit Rome - I believe the January sales started later than usual this year, only a week or so ago, so they will probably still be going on while you are there.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bryce330
You are picking a great time to visit Rome - I beileve the January sales started later than usual this year, only a week or so ago, so they will probably still be going on while you are there.

Why is it a store in Italy I've been to last year insists on calling my home phone on a Saturday at 4am to inform me of the January sales? When I told them last fall it was 3am in the US, I had hoped they might have made a note of the time difference.
plain.gif

mr. magoo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fabienne
Why is it a store in Italy I've been to last year insists on calling my home phone on a Saturday at 4am to inform me of the January sales? When I told them last fall it was 3am in the US, I had hoped they might have made a note of the time difference.
plain.gif

Is it Eredi Pisano? Their New York City branch insists on leaving me no less than three messages every sale season about their sale, each from a different commission-starved salesperson asking that I ask for them when I come in.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it goes without saying, if you're into Italian shoes, better to pick up a few pairs while you're there because it's much cheaper there, considering the strength of the BPS. Moreover, you will have access to styles and colors that you normally wouldn't, I would think.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads