1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Rolls Royce Phantom

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Miguel Antonio, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

2. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

There's always the 770K Grosser.

[​IMG]

Jon.

3. Miguel Antonio

Miguel Antonio Senior member

LabelKing said:
    I'm talking about the new one made by BMW. I think it has some good things like the ride quality and the classical interior design, however the grille styling is terrible, so no self-respecting businessman or politician will ever buy one. Most plutocrats are buying the Maybach 57 or the 62. I think that the 62 is the best deal from all the options in the super luxury market.

4. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

LabelKing said:

I'm talking about the new one made by BMW. I think it has some good things like the ride quality and the classical interior design, however the grille styling is terrible, so no self-respecting businessman or politician will ever buy one. Most plutocrats are buying the Maybach 57 or the 62. I think that the 62 is the best deal from all the options in the super luxury market.

No they aren't. Have you seen Maybach's sales figures? They are horrible! MBUSA just cut back more than 50% of its Maybach dealers.

Jon.

5. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

I'd rather have this:

[​IMG]

+1

6. Miguel Antonio

Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
    [​IMG]

It's a beautiful car, but too old fashioned for everyday use.

7. ThingLonger

ThingLonger Member

What makes you think I haven't seen one (or a dozen)?

By your comment, of course. It is an incredibly massive car. Note that I may be wrong, but Mercedes was the farthest thing from my mind when I first caught glimpse of the Phantom.

The grille was described by someone as resembling upmarket kitchenware.

8. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

What makes you think I haven't seen one (or a dozen)?

I've seen at least 30-40 of them. But, this is PBC, so...

Jon.

9. Miguel Antonio

ThingLonger said:
    The grille is impressive. It generates strong reactions. It's a love or hate grille.

10. BEEZO

BEEZO Member

the front grill kinna resembles a big rig, but I love it... as for the rear[​IMG] oh my, oh my[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

As far as I'm concerned, it won't exceed the Mercedes 600, the car of dictators and plutocrats alike: [​IMG]
    Few (if any) cars have surpassed the 600. [​IMG]

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Few (if any) cars have surpassed the 600. [​IMG]
    That's a Don't Fuck With Me car. I do appreciate good Teutonic esthetics.

13. dirt_lawyer

dirt_lawyer Active Member

14. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

^^ Definitely. Just an all-around sharp, elegant looking car. Good choice [​IMG]

JB

15. cam_pearson

cam_pearson Active Member

16. zshaver

zshaver Well-Known Member

To advertise an image like this, you definitely have to have one ugly car.
    [​IMG]
    However, I'm pretty sure that BMW simply came to the realization that they could sell a lot more $300,000+ (I question how many people buy a stock phantom) cars to basketball stars and rappers, than they could to wealthy industrialists and the nouveau riche. Considering the state of the economy, they probably sided with the winning team.

17. vc2000

vc2000 Senior member

I don't like the new models. I have a client that buys a new Royce for his wife every few years - they took the new model downtown to the opera and all these gangster wannabes were drooling over it. They were horrified. It was pretty funny. They returned it and nobody in their social group has gotten one. The hip hop videos use these... I say that RR is killing the traditional market for sales and going with the music entertainment industry. I guess it is the Cristal of autos today.

RR has used bad steering wheels for ages. Why I don't know. Look at a vintage car - they steering wheel looks like it is off a tractor or something. The models in the 80's were the worst they had these cheap plastic looking ones.

18. cam_pearson

cam_pearson Active Member

still yuck, the peninsula hotel in Hong kong ordered 14 of the bastards.

19. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

still yuck, the peninsula hotel in Hong kong ordered 14 of the bastards.

The Burj Al Arab has a fleet as well.

RR is selling more of this model car than any other in their entire history, just something to keep in mind...

Jon.

20. Southern-Nupe

Southern-Nupe Senior member

I don't like the new models. I have a client that buys a new Royce for his wife every few years - they took the new model downtown to the opera and all these gangster wannabes were drooling over it. They were horrified. It was pretty funny. They returned it and nobody in their social group has gotten one. The hip hop videos use these... I say that RR is killing the traditional market for sales and going with the music entertainment industry. I guess it is the Cristal of autos today.

RR has used bad steering wheels for ages. Why I don't know. Look at a vintage car - they steering wheel looks like it is off a tractor or something. The models in the 80's were the worst they had these cheap plastic looking ones.

I don't think the RR is catering to the entertainment industry, if anything the entertainment industry is gravitating to the RR based on price. The same reason Bentley GT's and Ferrari's do well amongst the Hollywood crowd. A lot of entertainers are a superficial set ,more impressed with status and price.

Personally, the Phantom has sort of grown on me, but it's far from a car I admire, or would consider (if I had the money). I have always prefered more performance oriented automobiles.