• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rolling your shirt sleeves while wearing a sweater

phooi

Reaction score
Every time I try to do it, I end up with a bulky roll and an overstretched sleeve. Is there a proper a way to do it?? Help...

Thanks!

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're describing, but I wouldn't roll up a sweater sleeve. I push them up on my forearms habitually, though.

phooi

Reaction score
I meant is there a way to roll up your shirt sleeve while wearing a sweater where 1) the sleeve roll doesn't look too thick and 2) the sweater sleeve doesn't get stretched.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Not that I know of.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the sweater is knit to be tight around the wrist, then I don't roll up, push up, or even allow a shirt cuff to slip through. If the wrist is not tapered to be snug, then I do whatever I want.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Simple, I do this all the time. Pull back the sweater sleeve cuff to a point just past the seam of the shirt where the shirt sleeve attaches to the shirt cuff. Unbutton your cuff on the shirt sleeve and fold the cuff back. Make sure there is no dirty ring around the inside of the cuff.

Best Regards,

Gary

phooi

Reaction score
This is exactly what I needed. I tried it today Gary and it works. Thanks for the tip!

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gary,

Can you post a picture? I can't picture this. Your technique that is, I know what a rolled sleeve looks like.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you do something like this with a French cuff shirt?

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just curious: what would be the point in wearing french cuffs if you're going to roll them up?

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never roll up my sleeves anymore. Michael Brown, aka Brownie, ruined it for all of us genuine hard workers.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drink8648
Simple, I do this all the time. Pull back the sweater sleeve cuff to a point just past the seam of the shirt where the shirt sleeve attaches to the shirt cuff. Unbutton your cuff on the shirt sleeve and fold the cuff back. Make sure there is no dirty ring around the inside of the cuff.

Best Regards,

Gary

I love it when women do this -- the turned back cuffs are very elegant. Not implying anything about you, Gary, though I'm sure you're elegant too!

Regards,
Huntsman

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I love it when women do this -- the turned back cuffs are very elegant. Not implying anything about you, Gary, though I'm sure you're elegant too!

Regards,
Huntsman

Elegance has only been a manifestation of my addiction to fine clothing and footwear. Somehow though, I seem to think of myself as a hippie who refined his outward appearance. I tend to roll my sleeves up as soon as I get to work and my wife says that I should have opened a gas station not a fine mens clothing store.

Best Regards,

Gary

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sygyzy
Gary,

Can you post a picture? I can't picture this. Your technique that is, I know what a rolled sleeve looks like.

I wish I could do this for you but my camera will not take a pic small enough for SF to except and I have not been able to overcome the challenge of hosting images. I guess I'll always be a tech idiot. Just follow my instructions as mentioned and you will overcome this challenge.

Best Regards,

Gary

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics