Rolling up sleeves

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Bradford, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

When rolling up my sleeves, I've always rolled them twice, once to roll-back the the cuff and once to get over the placket, so they wind up at mid-forearm.

However, in looking at some magazines recently, I've noticed pictures in which shirts are being worn with their sleeves rolled up past the elbow.

The only shirt I've ever done this with is an old Banana Republic safari shirt that actually has a tab on the inside of the sleeve that when rolled-up, attachs to a button on the outside so you can wear it as either a long-leeve or a short sleeve shirt.

My question is, is this a new trend? And, what does everyone think of this look?

Bradford

2. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I'm against rolling sleeves more than twice, as you describe you've been doing. The only context where it's acceptable to roll them beyond the elbow is when you're a politician working the crowd.

3. Nonk

Nonk Senior member

How far?

Removing a cufflink, or undoing a button is too far.

Rather than portraying a picture of a laid back, slightly casual maverick who is prepared to muck in when the going gets tough (Which those who favour this look no doubt see themselves as although not one will ever admit it and think all will admire their rebellious streak with a gasp of "Wow, what a guy") I think it just looks scruffy, and unless you a performing some form of surgery, or unblocking a loo, there is no need.

4. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

Like this? [​IMG] Bradford

5. joseanes

joseanes Senior member

Ugly watch for a vice-presidential candidate, I must say.

6. familyman

familyman Senior member

He's a runner, it's a runners watch. Not so stylish, but I understand why he's wearing it.

As to the sleeves, I'm usually a below the elbow guy, just feels better. I usually do it at some point during the day when I have to change diapers or do dishes or something and if I don't put a coat on when I go out then they often stay up. But then agian I'm never wearing a tie. Without a tie and with the collar open I'm cool with it. It's a casual thing. With a tie I think they should stay down unless things get messy in your life.

7. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

wow, i wonder how many ironman timex watches are worn in dc

8. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

My guess is that you couldn't count them all without a Casio calculator watch.

9. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

I'm pretty sure in the pictures I've seen of him, Kerry was also wearing some sort of digital watch. Maybe its a Democrat thing. I won't suggest why it might be that they need digital watches.

10. dorian

dorian Senior member

It's a cunning ploy to identify with many people who can afford nothing more than a digital watch. Kerry and Edwards both could be several Pateks, should they feel the urge. Aaaah... Democrats... politicians of the people...

11. hopkins_student

Well, that's not I was thinking. It also doesn't explain the Hermes ties. You'd think if that were the case Kerry would wear Nautica rather than Hermes.

12. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

Also, I love John Kerry's "Southwick" suits. Southwick? Is that why there are those autographed pictures of you in Rizzo Tailor's bespoke shop in Cambridge, John? [​IMG] FYI, I asked why he never made a double vented suit for Kerry to wear during the campaign. He said Kerry likes double vents but it's just not feasible to wear one when running for president. Also, he told me that Kerry's suits are far from bland -- many of them are very, very subtle small scale glen plaids and such. The TV just can't pick up the patterns.

13. hopkins_student

Honestly, in the scheme of things, I doubt that side vented suits are going to cost anyone an election. Same with double cuffs. You never see them during campaigns anymore, but I'm sure they aren't going to cost anyone an election. edit: In fact, I bet we on the SF (or people like us) are the only ones that even notice. If I'm correct, I'd imagine you'd actually gain votes with side vents and double cuffs.

14. ATM

ATM Senior member

Politicians of both parties do this. Usually Timex - an American company.

15. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I'll confess, for many years I did roll the sleeves of my sports shirts, politician style. I think my mother encouraged it when I was a teen, probably from the example of my grandfather. In hindsight, I wonder why I adopted such a stupid look.