• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rolling up sleeves

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
When rolling up my sleeves, I've always rolled them twice, once to roll-back the the cuff and once to get over the placket, so they wind up at mid-forearm.

However, in looking at some magazines recently, I've noticed pictures in which shirts are being worn with their sleeves rolled up past the elbow.

The only shirt I've ever done this with is an old Banana Republic safari shirt that actually has a tab on the inside of the sleeve that when rolled-up, attachs to a button on the outside so you can wear it as either a long-leeve or a short sleeve shirt.

My question is, is this a new trend? And, what does everyone think of this look?

Bradford

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I'm against rolling sleeves more than twice, as you describe you've been doing. The only context where it's acceptable to roll them beyond the elbow is when you're a politician working the crowd.

Nonk

Reaction score
How far?

Removing a cufflink, or undoing a button is too far.

Rather than portraying a picture of a laid back, slightly casual maverick who is prepared to muck in when the going gets tough (Which those who favour this look no doubt see themselves as although not one will ever admit it and think all will admire their rebellious streak with a gasp of "Wow, what a guy") I think it just looks scruffy, and unless you a performing some form of surgery, or unblocking a loo, there is no need.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I'm against rolling sleeves more than twice, as you describe you've been doing. The only context where it's acceptable to roll them beyond the elbow is when you're a politician working the crowd.
Like this?
KERRY_EDWARDS56.jpg
Bradford

joseanes

Reaction score
Ugly watch for a vice-presidential candidate, I must say.

familyman

Reaction score
Ugly watch for a vice-presidential candidate, I must say.
He's a runner, it's a runners watch. Not so stylish, but I understand why he's wearing it.

As to the sleeves, I'm usually a below the elbow guy, just feels better. I usually do it at some point during the day when I have to change diapers or do dishes or something and if I don't put a coat on when I go out then they often stay up. But then agian I'm never wearing a tie. Without a tie and with the collar open I'm cool with it. It's a casual thing. With a tie I think they should stay down unless things get messy in your life.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow, i wonder how many ironman timex watches are worn in dc

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow, i wonder how many ironman timex watches are worn in dc
My guess is that you couldn't count them all without a Casio calculator watch.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure in the pictures I've seen of him, Kerry was also wearing some sort of digital watch. Maybe its a Democrat thing. I won't suggest why it might be that they need digital watches.

dorian

Reaction score
It's a cunning ploy to identify with many people who can afford nothing more than a digital watch. Kerry and Edwards both could be several Pateks, should they feel the urge. Aaaah... Democrats... politicians of the people...

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a cunning ploy to identify with many people who can afford nothing more than a digital watch. Kerry and Edwards both could be several Pateks, should they feel the urge. Aaaah... Democrats... politicians of the people...
Well, that's not I was thinking. It also doesn't explain the Hermes ties. You'd think if that were the case Kerry would wear Nautica rather than Hermes.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, I love John Kerry's "Southwick" suits. Southwick? Is that why there are those autographed pictures of you in Rizzo Tailor's bespoke shop in Cambridge, John?
smile.gif
FYI, I asked why he never made a double vented suit for Kerry to wear during the campaign. He said Kerry likes double vents but it's just not feasible to wear one when running for president. Also, he told me that Kerry's suits are far from bland -- many of them are very, very subtle small scale glen plaids and such. The TV just can't pick up the patterns.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, I love John Kerry's "Southwick" suits. Southwick? Is that why there are those autographed pictures of you in Rizzo Tailor's bespoke shop in Cambridge, John?
smile.gif
FYI, I asked why he never made a double vented suit for Kerry to wear during the campaign. He said Kerry likes double vents but it's just not feasible to wear one when running for president. Also, he told me that Kerry's suits are far from bland -- many of them are very, very subtle small scale glen plaids and such. The TV just can't pick up the patterns.
Honestly, in the scheme of things, I doubt that side vented suits are going to cost anyone an election. Same with double cuffs. You never see them during campaigns anymore, but I'm sure they aren't going to cost anyone an election. edit: In fact, I bet we on the SF (or people like us) are the only ones that even notice. If I'm correct, I'd imagine you'd actually gain votes with side vents and double cuffs.

ATM

Reaction score
Politicians of both parties do this. Usually Timex - an American company.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll confess, for many years I did roll the sleeves of my sports shirts, politician style. I think my mother encouraged it when I was a teen, probably from the example of my grandfather. In hindsight, I wonder why I adopted such a stupid look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads