Rollerball pens: MB or Pelikan or other?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hopkins_student, Oct 20, 2006.

1. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

I know that Pelikan has been preferred over Mont Blanc by many on the forum for fountain pens. Does the same hold true for rollerball pens? Any recommendations for a good one in the $75-175 range? Regards, HS.

2. Lamo

Lamo Senior member

i know mont blanc is derided by many enthusiasts but i don't think pelikans and any other brand can match the classic good looks of the meisterstuck.

3. andyw

andyw Senior member

Tombow use to make a line of rollerball pens, the best of which was the Havana. These pens have the distinctive Tombow rubber grip on the barrel, which together with perfect balance made this the pen for me. I look for them on ebay and there is a supplier from Germany that sells them frequently. They are about $35+/- and have a cachet all there own among and are workhorses. Check it out.

4. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

If you like gel pens then you can put parker or other gel refills into many brands BPs/RBs albeit sometimes with the clever use of a plastic 'adaptor' or shaving the plastic bits off the refills.

I could never bring myself to spend too much on non-fountain pen pens. I had a MB Kafka BP for a while before I sold it - even though the pen was interesting and well-made, in the end it was 'just' a BP like a bic...