• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Roll on back of suit jacket?

Seamless

Reaction score

Im getting nervous that the suit may be ruined now and wont be fixable and I obviously cant exchange it or return it since I already had the pants altered and had the jacket taken in a little.  I am not sure why they told me it was a fine fit when I bought it.

Do you really think they train JAB employees well? They are part of the men's wearhouse family. I'd expect most things to be to tight or to short with current trends. Look for a local clothier. Normally the purple who make a career out of suits have better knowledge. Live and learn on this one man. I did the same at 20 before opening my own place. St least it wasn't an expensive suit to start with. Wear it for now and go on armed with some more knowledge next time!

codydemmel4

Reaction score
Thanks it just sucks because I obviously cant tell how the jacket fits on the back, that's the whole point of going to the store and having them tell me it fits. now it seems like its too tight, at least that's what I am hearing. it really doesn't feel that tight, feels like a good fit to me.

I am going to take it to the local jos a bank today and see what they say.

AriG

Reaction score
If you think it's a good fit, just wear it, jeez, how can it be ruined? No one cares about that bit of a roll. If you must, take it to a good independent tailor as has been suggested and see what he suggests.

Johnsson

Reaction score
so you guys think it isn't fixble?

As I said, any opinions people have are based on one poor picture. Stand naturally and have somebody take full body pictures if you want a more accurate critique. There's a Tailors thread dedicated to just this type of thing, but now you've got several people lined up to help you in this one.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
relax..
it is only a suiit.

it's not like a bad nose job, that can Only get worse.

why did you ask for the suit to be as tight as possible?
yes, you are probably young and in good shape.
but. very tight clothing accentuates minor misfits.

it is not that hard to fix....

rsurya25

Reaction score
Im getting nervous that the suit may be ruined now and wont be fixable and I obviously cant exchange it or return it since I already had the pants altered and had the jacket taken in a little. I am not sure why they told me it was a fine fit when I bought it.

you have to consider shrinkage? I don't know if wool also shrinks but cotton does a little.

rsurya25

Reaction score
wool only shrinks if you wash and dry it..
maybe get caught in a rainstorm!

for suits I always do Dry Clean. does it shrink the fabric? but cotton does a little right?
I also want to know how can you tell if a suit is semi wool or Full-Wool?

rsurya25

Reaction score
wool only shrinks if you wash and dry it..
maybe get caught in a rainstorm!

I pay attention to the style of modern suits, they tend to have a very high gorge line. I actually prefer my gorge line to be not too high and not too low. Do you have any opinion on this?

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
for suits I always do Dry Clean. does it shrink the fabric? but cotton does a little right?
I also want to know how can you tell if a suit is semi wool or Full-Wool?
suits can shrink in dry cleaning. It should not happen.
normaly a suit has a content label inside a pocket or on the outside label when you purchase the suit.
If you can't find a label cut off a small piece of fabric from the fold on the pant inside or inside the crotch area. take a match to it. If it bubbles and there is black smoke, then there is polyester.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I pay attention to the style of modern suits, they tend to have a very high gorge line. I actually prefer my gorge line to be not too high and not too low. Do you have any opinion on this?
no opinion. buy vintage ssuits from the early aughts they had a lower gorge line.
buy vintage suits from the 90s they had really low gorge lines!!!!

rsurya25

Reaction score
I would like to ask if this length of collar stay still acceptable or too long?
A0F97BE3-175A-4739-B75A-899C60092517.jpeg

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The jacket looks like it's a bit small however if it still fits comfortably, then just wear the garment. No one will notice. If you put a good outfit together, you'll still look better than the majority of those wearing suits in DC.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads