• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rolex Sub or Omega

urymoto

Reaction score
Ok guys, i know this has been discussed and i did read the threads. but i need help

I like the look of the Speedmaster from Omega and Submariner.
BUT, for the omega it says i cant scuba with it (im not talking 100 meters...more like 10, 20,30) and it says dont expose to temps below 0C!!! are you kidding! in Canada it gets -30...

Basically i need something sturdy: temperature proof, waterproof, rugged.
Is the omega not suited?

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure but I think it gets colder than -30C in space and the Speedy Pro can handle that. Hesalite crystals are pretty rugged I would say so myself.

Zackb911

Reaction score
Personally I prefer the Submariner over the Omega.

I'd also throw the Rolex Seadweller into the loop, I have one and love it. I think they look and feel better than the Submariners and it sure as hell can dive down deeper than you'll ever even think of going.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rolexes are built like tanks.

If you are really going to be diving and subjecting it to extended lengths at extreme temperatures, or going out into the vacuum of space or whatnot, you need to buy a digital watch to wear when you do those kinds of activities. If you are wearing your nice watch, your son will have no memento wristwatch when you are eaten by a stingray/buried under ice/implode!

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know anybody who dives wearing expensive dive watches. Most don't even wear watches at all.

Spend money on the land watch, and get a G Shock if you must take one diving.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get the Submariner or even a Seadweller if you intend ot use it for diving. The Omega is a good watch, but not for diving. I love my Suba and also have had Omegas, they are both great watches just for different situations.

Mark Anthony

Reaction score
If you are using for diving then the answer is a dive watch (Submariner). That said, the depths you refer to are within some Speedmaster ratings as the newer ones often come with 100m wr.

The temperature thing is odd never heard that. Yes, space is colder though were those Speedys not inside the suit?

I am wary of some of these warnings. I read an interesting thread somewhere that a very respected jeweller in Miami advised their client not to get a IWC 3717 as it was WR only to 60m and would not handle the south Florida humidity. I was WTF...this means nobody can have a dress watch in Miami???

Another option is the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean. Biased as it is on my wrist right now. You could get that and the Speedy probably for the same price as the Sub alone.

urymoto

Reaction score
i am shocked that so many of you wont take your dive watches diving!!loool

wtf?
A g-shock for diving or a timex? no
im looking for something that can survive anything i put it trough...including -40C, diving at 30 meters for 30-40 minutes, sleeping, spearfishing, sneaking around "assassins creed" style...

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
been in the same boat...i took advice and went with the sub. I like the omega too, but the sub is a classic...and will hold value probably a bit better than the omega. I got the 16610 but I really like the no date sub. gorgeous watch on the bracelet or on a NATO strap too. trust me, if you dont get it, you will eventually. Probably sell the omega at a loss to fund it.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I used to use my name brand dive watch for diving but it accelerates the need for overhaul as it will accumulate corrosion and degrade therubber gaskets. I bought one of those Navy Seals watches on eBay for $100 which is great for diving and won't break my heart if it deteriorates.
Both are classics but subs a bit boring as they are so common.

East Oakland

Reaction score
Originally Posted by urymoto
i am shocked that so many of you wont take your dive watches diving!!loool

wtf?
A g-shock for diving or a timex? no
im looking for something that can survive anything i put it trough...including -40C, diving at 30 meters for 30-40 minutes, sleeping, spearfishing, sneaking around "assassins creed" style...

I you want to get a watch for diving, get a diving watch--not a Speedmaster.

As mentioned above, Omega makes diving watches too--the Omega Seamaster is a classic.

Or if you want to get something even more rugged, get a military diving watch, like a Marathon TSAR and save yourself $5K.

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Speedy Pros were also known to be worn outside of the suits like this:
SPA07.highres.jpg
What I am just trying to understand is why everyone says Subs are built like tanks (I'm sure they are), when Speedy Pros are the only watch certified by NASA for the terrible vacuum and temperature changes of space. That hesalite crystal window the Speedy Pro uses is also more impact resistance and won't shatter like sapphire will. I'm just curious about all of this though. To be brutally honest though, you can't go wrong with either. And wait, you sleep with a watch on?

urymoto

Reaction score
Originally Posted by East Oakland
I you want to get a watch for diving, get a diving watch--not a Speedmaster.

As mentioned above, Omega makes diving watches too--the Omega Seamaster is a classic.

Or if you want to get something even more rugged, get a military diving watch, like a Marathon TSAR and save yourself $5K.

im in banking not diving. its not my full time job. i also dont do underwater welding, or deep sea rescues.
i just dive from time to time, and enjoy the underwater fauna and flora

also saw the speedy pro is only good for 50meters.
is that enough for occasional diving?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads