• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rolex Explorer II; Thoughts?

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at my next watch, and have debated the merits of numerous watches on watch-specific boards, but wanted to hear some opinions on the Rolex Explorer II from a stylistic standpoint. I like it because I think Rolex has an interesting history and heritage, yet the Explorer II is, IMO, something you buy because you appreciate what a Rolex is as opposed to what a Rolex stands for. It's one of the last of the "classic" style sport models, as they're switching to the Maxi-case and Maxi-dial, and after wearing my IWC Mark XVI as a daily wearer for about a year I think the Explorer I would feel a bit small. I'm interested in thoughts on the piece.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the white face Exp 2, got it as a gift a few years ago and really like it. Its classic Rolex IMO, and actually wears bigger then the IWC Mk 16.

Regards.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shikar
I have the white face Exp 2, got it as a gift a few years ago and really like it. Its classic Rolex IMO, and actually wears bigger then the IWC Mk 16.

Regards.

It's actually 1mm bigger, but I agree that it wears even larger, especially with the white dial. I'm looking at black, but that's just because of my personal preference for white metal watches having dark dials (saving the light dial for when I take the plunge on a Patek Calatrava dress watch, lol).

cbird

Reaction score
The Explorer II is a great watch. One thing I like about the Explorers (I have an Explorer I) is that they are solid, serious Rolex sports watches, yet are "stealth Rolexes." The rotating bezel of some of the other models screams "Rolex!" too loudly for my taste, while the Explorers require a closer look to make that determination. I recently sat right next to a guy at a table and noticed he had a neat looking black watch and it wasn't immediately obvious to me that it was a black dial Explorer II.
I also think that there is still something different about a Rolex. I have a JLC Master Geographic, which is a finer watch, but I find myself wearing the Explorer 90% of the time. I just like the reassuringly solid feel to it and the fact that it is such a fine watch to have as a beater.

UFN

Reaction score
It's a fantastic watch if you ask me. Clean, uncluttered design that also doesn't scream "Rolex" to most people, two dial colours to choose from, a size that fits most wrists and quite a comfortable fit to boot. The only thing I am not crazy about is that it doesn't feel as substantial (heavy) as I would have liked. If it had been as heavy as a GMT, then I would definitely have bought a white Explorer instead of the YachtMaster that I have now.

/U.

sharpie12

Reaction score
A nice choice and a classic indeed. One of the few watches that really looks good both ways; Black or White. However, the new GMT II ceramic S/S of course it's quite a looker and understated at the same time.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cbird
The Explorer II is a great watch. One thing I like about the Explorers (I have an Explorer I) is that they are solid, serious Rolex sports watches, yet are "stealth Rolexes."

Agreed.

blofeld

Reaction score
hottest rolex out:

rolex-yacht-master-ii-regatta-chrono-at-baselworld.jpg

soupcxan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blofeld
hottest rolex out:

Even as a person with questionable taste, I find that to be a bit much.

But then again, no one has ever mistaken me for a YACHT-MASTER.

blofeld

Reaction score
I was half joking. part of me likes the face and bezel though, in platinum, who knows? truth be told the deep sea is #1 rolex on my list:
Rolex%20Deep%20Sea.jpg

andyw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shikar

Regards.

I also have the white dial Explorer II; it's the only white faced watch I own....amidst several black faced IWC and Omega. I made a point to own this watch because of its authenticity as a workhorse. I wear this watch 75% of the time and it takes a beating. For me, the other Rolexes have too much undeserved cachet.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blofeld
I was half joking. part of me likes the face and bezel though, in platinum, who knows?

truth be told the deep sea is #1 rolex on my list:

Rolex%20Deep%20Sea.jpg

That is absolutely gorgeous, I quite agree.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads