• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bjhofkin

Reaction score
Funny, I'm also considering Maryam horsebutt for a pair of lace-to-toes from Brian. It was suggested to me by Elliot at Standard & Strange as a good alternative to the Shinki oiled horsebutt that's been used by a bunch of makers lately, but that's otherwise impossible to get ahold of.

Two questions:

1. Do you have photos of examples, either in boots or otherwise?

2. Where would you be sourcing it from?

Picked up the Viberg rebuild today. View attachment 1258027

And chatted with Brian about the next RCs.
So far I’m thinking Maryam Horsebutt.

HolyBootsBatman

Reaction score
Funny, I'm also considering Maryam horsebutt for a pair of lace-to-toes from Brian. It was suggested to me by Elliot at Standard & Strange as a good alternative to the Shinki oiled horsebutt that's been used by a bunch of makers lately, but that's otherwise impossible to get ahold of.

Two questions:

Indeed, Asphalt Horsebutt seems like a winning choice.
I saw it at the LA SS. I saw it online but in-hand it is clearly splendid. Thick, yet not stiff. Grey, with warm undertone, a hint of an earthy green tone. Really lovely, I knew then that I wanted something in Asphalt.

I have a some Vibergs in Maryam Washed Horse, which is really nice. Washed is completely different than horsebutt, though from my experience, a thumbs up for Maryam.

I am trying to figure out sourcing. I’ll share what I find out.
I know it is possible. At the shop, Brian pulled out a roll of crust horse that someone had sourced and sent to him; it was wrapped in Maryam printed paper.

The photo is from the S.S., 2040 Asphalts for a friend. Wish they had a pair in my size.

Last edited:

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Two questions:

i just got the Division Road Shinki Shelby boots. The Shinki oiled Horsebutt is much thinner than any other Horsebutt I have. I would think it’s horsehide if no one said otherwise. If you’re looking for durable and sturdy I’d go with Horween or Maryam. I have the brown Horween Horsebutt boots and they’re super tough.

bjhofkin

Reaction score
Very helpful all around – thanks to both of you.

Also working on sourcing it from my end and will let folks know if I have success.

Separately, either of you guys, or anyone else, have any opinion on Badalassi Carlo (an Italian pure veg tan cowhide)? I'd otherwise be afraid cowhide would be too stretchy, but White Kloud uses it, Lofgren has used it, and Jake of Almost Vintage Style loves it.

Indeed, Asphalt Horsebutt seems like a winning choice.
I saw it at the LA SS. I saw it online but inhand it is clearly splendid. Thick, yet not stiff. Grey, with warm undertone, a hint of an earthy green tone. Really lovely, I knew then that I wanted something in Asphalt.

I have a some Vibergs in Maryam Washed Horse, which is really nice. Washed is completely different than horsebutt, though from my experience, a thumbs up for Maryam.

I am trying to figure out sourcing. I’ll share what I find out.
I know it is possible. At the shop, Brian pulled out a roll of crust horse that a someone had sourced and sent to him, it was wrapped in Maryam printed paper.

The photo is from the S.S., 2040 Asphalts for a friend. Wish they had a pair in my size. View attachment 1262125
i just got the Division Road Shinki Shelby boots. The Shinki oiled Horsebutt is much thinner than any other Horsebutt I have. I would think it’s horsehide if no one said otherwise. If you’re looking for durable and sturdy I’d go with Horween or Maryam. I have the brown Horween Horsebutt boots and they’re super tough.

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very helpful all around – thanks to both of you.

Also working on sourcing it from my end and will let folks know if I have success.

Separately, either of you guys, or anyone else, have any opinion on Badalassi Carlo (an Italian pure veg tan cowhide)? I'd otherwise be afraid cowhide would be too stretchy, but White Kloud uses it, Lofgren has used it, and Jake of Almost Vintage Style loves it.
Most of the pics of I've seen of well worn Badalassi doesn't look good to me.

bjhofkin

Reaction score
Thanks, guys.

Yeah, I've seen photos like that. From a COLOR standpoint I like that sort of aging you get from veg tans. But from a WEAR standpoint, those don't look like the sorts of finer creases you look for on more footwear-oriented leathers.

Still unsure and looking for alternatives to Brian's standard CXL horsehide. Definitely going to use Bakers Russian Calf for the engineers, but still not settled for the lace-to-toe's…

Most of the pics of I've seen of well worn Badalassi doesn't look good to me.
View attachment 1262149
That’s a picture of Lofgrens when he used to use badalassi. Maybe not for everyone, but I personally like that look and I chose it for my impending White Klouds.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would definitely be interested to hear if you're able to source other horsehides for a build. I love the italian horsehide that Clinch/Brass Tokyo uses for their boots, but not sure where its sourced from.

I'm hoping to get in touch with Brian sometime next year for some Underdogs, and while I like the black CXL horsehide it'd be interesting to see it done in some other leathers.

bjhofkin

Reaction score
For sure – whatever I do, I'll post it here.

I would definitely be interested to hear if you're able to source other horsehides for a build. I love the italian horsehide that Clinch/Brass Tokyo uses for their boots, but not sure where its sourced from.

I'm hoping to get in touch with Brian sometime next year for some Underdogs, and while I like the black CXL horsehide it'd be interesting to see it done in some other leathers.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's coming in hot?
I’m gonna do Underdogs, I may stick to the OG makeup of black CXL horsehide, but may want to see if there’s any other leather that might be interesting. It’s gonna be awhile, so I’ll have the time to think about it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads