• We would like to welcome LuxGentleman as an official Affiliate Vendor. LuxGentleman offers Neapolitan sartorial brands such as Isaia, Kiton, Borrelli, Sartoria Partenopea, D'Avenza, and Attolini, and Italian luxury brands like Loro Piana, Zegna, Canali, Cucinelli and Brioni at great prices. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

HolyBootsBatman

Reaction score
Role Club custom 5" chukka (probably tall enough to be called "George boots") in natural horsehide CXL.

These photos are from a month or so ago when the boots were brand new; I've been wearing them a lot and they're already aging beautifully – I'll try to post some new pics soon.

View attachment 1182430 View attachment 1182431 View attachment 1182432 View attachment 1182433 View attachment 1182434
Thank you for sharing.
I dig the natural horse.

I appreciate that they are a bit taller than the regular chukka cut.
This has me wanting a pair, since they would have the boot feel rather than the usual chukka shoe thing.

Last edited:

bjhofkin

Reaction score
HIGHLY recommended.

Love how they're easy to get on and off yet still have the substantial look/feel of boots.

The key is to make sure the eyelets remain more or less where they'd be without the shaft being any taller so that the lacing pressure is over the instep where it needs to be. Brian did a great job.

FWIW, not to get all cross-genre on everyone so early in the thread, but these boots by the great DW Frommer were the inspiration.

Having Nicholas Templeman make me a pair (DWFII himself is mainly retired) and will post in the bespoke shoes thread when they're made, for those interested…

Thank you for sharing.
I did the natural horse.

I appreciate that they are a bit taller than the regular chukka cut.
This has me wanting a pair, since they would have the boot feel rather than the usual chukka shoe thing.

Last edited:

HolyBootsBatman

Reaction score
HIGHLY recommended.

Love how they're easy to get on and off yet still have the substantial look/feel of boots.

The key is to make sure the eyelets remain more or less where they'd be without the shaft being any taller so that the lacing pressure is over the instep where it needs to be. Brian did a great job.

FWIW, not to get all cross-genre on everyone so early in the thread, but these boots by the great DW Frommer were the inspiration.

Having Nicholas Templeman make me a pair (DWFII himself is mainly retired) and will post in the bespoke shoes thread when they're made, for those interested…
The article you linked on DW Frommer by DieWorkwear is fantastic. Thank you.

I can certainly see why you chose those for inspiration. I love that you took an idea to Brian and these Chukkas were born. Not too many places in the world to get that done.

Indeed, I look forward to seeing your post on the Templeman’s after arrival. To echo the article, a large part of why I’m attracted to footwear at this level is the deep craftsmanship. Craft that is worth keeping alive. And of course, a craft that I can enjoy wearing year after year.
Rarely do I find cause to wear dress shoes, which I’m not sad about; so it has to be boots.

bjhofkin

Reaction score
This thread deserved a bump – gotta be some more guys out there with a pair or two of Brian's boots!

I'll have some more shots wearing my 5" chukkas/George boots once it cools off a bit in September (for now it's too hot for anything other than sandals – and screw anyone who doesn't want to see my beautiful toes…).

bjhofkin

Reaction score
Sorry for quoting an old post…

Derek, I know we've talked in another thread and you don't generally travel to commission clothes these days, but don't tell me you never have another reason to get down to L.A.? Brian's work brings together so many of the things you're interested in that I think seeing him in person for a pair of boots is an article – or a series of articles – waiting to happen.

He's really a pretty unique dude in the style world today – a one-man operation making workwear-style boots in house, start to finish.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sorry for quoting an old post…

Derek, I know we've talked in another thread and you don't generally travel to commission clothes these days, but don't tell me you never have another reason to get down to L.A.? Brian's work brings together so many of the things you're interested in that I think seeing him in person for a pair of boots is an article – or a series of articles – waiting to happen.

He's really a pretty unique dude in the style world today – a one-man operation making workwear-style boots in house, start to finish.
Brian seems to do really cool work and I'd love to write about his stuff someday. I don't know if I'm going to travel to Los Angeles though. That said, there are lots of ways to write about clothing that aren't centered on someone's buying experience. I'm sure I'll reach out to him for an interview or something at some point.

HolyBootsBatman

Reaction score

This photo was taken at Brian’s shop as I dropped these service boots off for a relast and resole. 1035 Grey Waxed Nubuck.

Commission:
Re-last on a custom last.
Remove toe structure.
Resole with Role Club corded half-soles.

I’ll post photos when it’s time to pick them up.

Last edited:

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This photo was taken at Brian’s shop as I dropped these service boots off for a relast and resole. 1035 Grey Waxed Nubuck.

Commission:
Rel-ast on a custom last.
Remove toe structure.
Resole with Role Club corded half-soles.

I’ll post photos when it’s time to pick them up.
Just curious as to why the extensive rebuilding on these..?

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys wanted to share a few pics. I have a Role Club Engineer in the making but I asked Brian to relast these Viberg's, I picked up at the recent sample sale in NYC, to my adjusted measurement using his 2307 last. Really impressed by the result and his workmanship. Will report back on fit etc.

Attachments

smartbrother

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

WHAT'S THE MAX NUMBER OF SHIRT BUTTONS YOU'LL UNDO BEFORE FEELING OUT OF PLACE?

• Just the collar button is enough for me.

• Two, including the collar button.

• Three, including the collar button.

• None.

Results are only viewable after voting.