• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I must be one of the lucky ones. I have some MTM suits/sportcoats which were made for
me 25-30 years ago. I weigh about 6-7 lbs more now. They still fit in the chest and shoulders,
but not across the middle. When these suits were purchased I jogged 20-30 miles a week.
I can no longer jog owing to injuries incurred jogging. Age and gravity takes it's toll.
I know it! Life takes its toll.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was a tailor who gained some popularity through the forums, and as a result, took in some business. But the orders were either never delivered or the work was shoddy. Some threads here:

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/darren-beaman.9063/

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/the-working-tailor-darren-beaman.55771/

Same story has played out with Carlo Franco Neckties, Ambrosi, ToJ, etc.
Interesting reads. Sounds like quite the unreliable tailor. Interesting to note how long some folks have been on Styleforum! Is there a recognized first member that's still on besides @LA Guy ?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Those who remember Darren Beaman might be surprised to learn that he is now their pattern cutter.

you mean this guy?

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll probably regret reviving this thread. Nonetheless, I was reading the article on Roger Stone in the latest issue of the the New Yorker and noticed he discusses his suits. They were originally made with a 14" drop.

“I haven’t bought a new suit in twenty years, because, first of all, when you have custom-made suits—which I originally had to do because I had forty-six-inch shoulders and a thirty-two-inch waist; I don’t have the thirty-two-inch waist anymore, but I did—that means you can’t buy anything off the rack, because when it’s altered the pockets would be next to each other in the back of the trousers. But, more importantly,” he said, tailors “put a lot of fabric in the seams, so as you get older and fatter, the clothing can be let out. So if you take care of the garment and it’s well made to begin with, it should last you a lifetime.”
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/02/18/roger-stones-and-jerome-corsis-time-in-the-barrel

I left out the part where he critiques Manafort's suits, because they don't fit.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'll probably regret reviving this thread. Nonetheless, I was reading the article on Roger Stone in the latest issue of the the New Yorker and noticed he discusses his suits. They were originally made with a 14" drop.

“I haven’t bought a new suit in twenty years, because, first of all, when you have custom-made suits—which I originally had to do because I had forty-six-inch shoulders and a thirty-two-inch waist;.

The drop is calculated by subtracting the waist from the chest, not from the shoulders. 46" shoulders would be standard to a size 40 chest, making that an 8" drop, not 14".

Not sure if it was mentioned but I had read somewhere that he was a customer at A&S, at least at one point, and I can think of at least one A&S cutter whose MO was to cut everything big and then work it down in the fittings.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the correction! Not sure how I made that mistake. I blame Stone!

Although a drop-8 is relatively normal, so now I wonder if he was confused about his measurements. Looking at pictures from when he was body building, it seems like he maybe did have a 46 inch chest at some point.

Last edited:

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Roger Stone is a joke, and the only that's a bigger joke than him is his style.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the correction! Not sure how I made that mistake. I blame Stone!

Although a drop-8 is relatively normal, so now I wonder if he was confused about his measurements. Looking at pictures from when he was body building, it seems like he maybe did have a 46 inch chest at some point.

I mean, if you look at photos of Stone, its pretty clear he never had a 46" chest / 32" waist.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean, if you look at photos of Stone, its pretty clear he never had a 46" chest / 32" waist.

Not exactly. I said I would regret this. Roger Stone was into bodybuilding about 20+ years ago. He developed quite a large chest with a relatively small waist. Again, my regrets for actually posting this, but here goes:

6ACF99B4-1814-4817-9C1F-FE402B7C156F.jpeg

Last edited:

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
8" drop is only "relatively normal" because of the amount of vanity sizing built into trousers these days, which ranges from 1" to 2 1/2".

That photo (which cannot be unseen...) doesn't look like much more than an 8" drop- a lat spread makes the chest look much wider than it actually is.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I appreciate @jefferyd providing an actual informed take on this.

I don't have anything real to add other than the quote from the New Yorker article and a super creepy pic of Roger Stone from an old swingers magazine. I'll let the experts talk.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Senator Schumer (and LT Gov Hochul, and US Rep Joe Morelle and State Senator Joe Robach) was back with us today.
Neat! Was he flashing his HF label again? Awesome to see Hickey Freeman getting so much attention.
:fistbump:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads