1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Roetzel: Truth about Custom Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bengal-stripe, Aug 27, 2010.

1. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Well-Known Member

Bernhard Roetzel, throwing the cat among the pigeons:

Has he got a point?

2. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

I agree, though admittedly w/ only a little experience behind me. But I made a similar point in an earlier post about there being custom suits and there being Despos.

3. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

The most enlightened response I can think of:

"Well duh..."

Of course "custom made" doesn't mean it automatically gets a

[​IMG]

4. LynahFaithful

LynahFaithful Well-Known Member

My custom shoes fit better and are better made than anything that I have owned previously. To me his point is not valid nor do I care what he thinks. What matters is what I think about my shoes and their value to me.

Also he says he doesn't want to "...offend all you cobblers out there." He might be offending "cordwainers" but I doubt he is offending "cobblers."

5. countdemoney

countdemoney Well-Known Member

Of course. There are bad bespoke clothes as well, but when done right . . .

6. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

This is exactly why if you find your one shoe, you should only by that shoe in different hides and colors.

- B

7. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

This is exactly why if you find your one shoe, you should only by that shoe in different hides and colors.

- B

Interesting. I find a close correlation to underwear.

8. Gherkins

Gherkins Well-Known Member

- B

Who needs different hides or colours?

9. The Swede

The Swede Well-Known Member

My custom shoes fit better and are better made than anything that I have owned previously. To me his point is not valid nor do I care what he thinks. What matters is what I think about my shoes and their value to me.

Also he says he doesn't want to "...offend all you cobblers out there." He might be offending "cordwainers" but I doubt he is offending "cobblers."

To be fair, it is not improbable that he wrote the text in German. Might just be the translation.

10. JamesX

JamesX Well-Known Member

Isn't he pretty much saying Bad Craftsmen makes Bad Shoes?

Custom Made isn't automatically perfect... but that is due to the skill of the maker. I cannot believe a Bespoke master cobbler would make an unfitting shoe.

11. musicguy

musicguy Well-Known Member

What an obvious thing to say. This statement was interesting:

[​IMG]

12. ajv

ajv Well-Known Member

Roetzel getting old = bla, bla, bla...

13. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Well-Known Member

This is impossible... Everything handmade is better. ALL THE TIME. I used ALLCAPS so you know it is true. [​IMG] I think I just found my new favorite website: www.regretsy.com

14. tazmaniac

tazmaniac Well-Known Member

Roetzels book might be nice, but all the interviews with and essays by him I have seen are either stating the obvious or kind of weird.

15. courty

courty Well-Known Member

My bespoke shoes are all very well made but I cannot say the fit is better than many rtw I have. For basic shoes, I would rather get rtw and save the money.

16. LynahFaithful

LynahFaithful Well-Known Member

To be fair, it is not improbable that he wrote the text in German. Might just be the translation.

Fair enough, I'll retract if that is the case.

17. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

In some respects, Roetzel's book presaged the future visual presentation style of today's AAAC:

[​IMG]

- B

18. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

Bernhard Roetzel, throwing the cat among the pigeons: "First of all, not all custom shoes are great. A lot of them don’t fit properly. Others don’t look elegant and some are not well made. Thus it would be more honest to state that custom shoes are fantastic if they are built around a last that fits* and if the craftmen know what they are doing. If this is not the case custom shoes are a nightmare and worse than the average factory product." Has he got a point?
    It's sophistry, is what it is. Fit is so subjective that Roetzel's statement bears only passing resemblance to truth. For all the mismatched heelseat or treadline widths, heel-to-ball lengths, over-adequate instep girths, etc., that people swear is a "perfect fit," I suspect many people wouldn't know what a perfect fit was...or more importantly appreciate it...if it hit them square between the eyes.

19. taxgenius

taxgenius Well-Known Member

In some respects, Roetzel's book presaged the future visual presentation style of today's AAAC:

[​IMG]

- B

Are those AE seconds with a JAB suit?

20. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Are those AE seconds with a JAB suit?

Sorry, I think that you are confusing SF with Ask Andy! [​IMG]