• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rocking the ascot

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
A cigarette holder is something that is used albeit rarely these days although it does seem a practical accessory.

leostrauss.jpg

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I wear them once in awhile. I am so cool that it doesn't look old.

I'm 58, but so cool I don't too old wearing an ascot
crackup[1].gif

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a couple, but have yet to wear them. I plan to in the Fall, if only to irritate my friends ...

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
They're just too self-conscious/costumey on guys under, say, 45-50. It's like seeing a young guy in a Golden Fleece polo and matching Brooks khakis.

Interesting. What do you think about this:

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Interesting. What do you think about this:
Celebrity tends to allow for a bit of outrageousness. Pretend it's not Tiger, but just some young guy out on a Friday night. I would probably have a negative reaction. It just seems to be trying too hard. On the young, ascots carry an unfortunate connotation of status-seeking. For a young guy to don an ascot is for him to deliberately choose to wear something unusual, almost anachronistic, that is extremely atypical for his peer group and is certain to draw eyeballs. It is unavoidably "look at me." That sends a message about the guy's personality, intentionally or not. Continuing my hypothetical above: Assuming you saw a random 28-year-old guy in Tiger's outfit. What car would you expect him to drive? Something reserved and practical, or something flashy?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jett
I would love to dress like this, circumstances prevent it though. I do have a wedding to attend this fall, maybe I should begin preparations...

Perhaps you should pair your ascot with knee-high riding boots for the wedding!
devil.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Celebrity tends to allow for a bit of outrageousness. Pretend it's not Tiger, but just some young guy out on a Friday night. I would probably have a negative reaction. It just seems to be trying too hard. On the young, ascots carry an unfortunate connotation of status-seeking. For a young guy to don an ascot is for him to deliberately choose to wear something unusual, almost anachronistic, that is extremely atypical for his peer group and is certain to draw eyeballs. It is unavoidably "look at me." That sends a message about the guy's personality, intentionally or not.

Continuing my hypothetical above: Assuming you saw a random 28-year-old guy in Tiger's outfit. What car would you expect him to drive? Something reserved and practical, or something flashy?

A '60s Cadillac.

jett

Reaction score

Continuing my hypothetical above: Assuming you saw a random 28-year-old guy in Tiger's outfit. What car would you expect him to drive? Something reserved and practical, or something flashy?

Practical!

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where can I buy some? I'd totally wear some with linen or khaki trousers, some driving loafers, white cotton camp shirt, sunglasses and if I'm having lunch on the coast, a beret.

ortolan

Reaction score
Celebrity tends to allow for a bit of outrageousness. Pretend it's not Tiger, but just some young guy out on a Friday night. I would probably have a negative reaction. It just seems to be trying too hard. On the young, ascots carry an unfortunate connotation of status-seeking. For a young guy to don an ascot is for him to deliberately choose to wear something unusual, almost anachronistic, that is extremely atypical for his peer group and is certain to draw eyeballs. It is unavoidably "look at me." That sends a message about the guy's personality, intentionally or not.

Definitely a British car. On the weekends he drives a roadster, racing green perhaps? He has dash and panache and he is style, at least in the anglocentric sense. Maybe I'm picturing tiecollector, in a roadster, sporting an ascot, boldly racing seagulls and the setting sun along a winding coastal highway.

I agree that Tiger's outfit looks a bit too studied.

Just a minor thing that comes to mind: the ascot seems a bit feminine to my eyes, since it draws parallels to the silk scarves and neckties often worn by women. Much the same, women who wear masculine neckties often seem, well, masculine. The image isn't gender neutral, to me.

--ortolan

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
You see them all over Italy. It's not a going out to the clubs look, but I would wear one as part of day to day wear. LS's looks good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads