1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Rockabilly Style

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Tck13, May 4, 2007.

1. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

Thanks Get smart, great info. The reason I asked about the rise is that its only 4 buttons, which would suggest a lower rise.

2. Mike.

Mike. New Member

Hi all, this is my first post and i joined this forum today just to comment in this thread.

I live in South Africa and believe it or not, own a company who makes Creepers. Just found it really interesting that a topic like this is being discussed when we have been predicting a mass comeback of the style for a while now.

3. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

trad rockabilly scene

Did you just say that?

4. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

eh, TRADITIONAL rockabilly scene

wouldnt want to see RAB geezers running around in madras ties and lobster pants

5. Goblin

Goblin Senior member

I live in South Africa and believe it or not, own a company who makes Creepers. Just found it really interesting that a topic like this is being discussed when we have been predicting a mass comeback of the style for a while now.
    Welcome! Do y'all have a website?

6. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

Hi all, this is my first post and i joined this forum today just to comment in this thread.

I don't think the style ever really dissapeared but (IMO) I can't imagine it coming back THAT strong (not that it wouldn't be a good thing).

I could be wrong but it reminds me of western wear; it never goes away, it's always kinda popular, but it never really goes fully mainstream (thank god).

7. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

the psychobilly scene is getting huge again so I think the market for creepers is def out there. Creepers never really went out anyways, it's been a staple in the punk scene since Malcolm McLaren brought them out to the forefront again in the 70s

8. Goblin

Goblin Senior member

it never really goes fully mainstream (thank god).
    [​IMG]
    Sha Na Na were the kings of Woodstock
    You know it's true deep in your heart
    Greasy guys in gold lame
    If only Hendrix had been so smart
    Pete Townshend wouldn't be so deaf
    If he had followed Sha Na Na's advice
    and played some fifties doo-wop songs
    That even your mom would think are nice

Keith and Janis went away
    But Sha Na Na are here to stay
    I don't care about Joan Baez
    But Sha Na Na can wear my fez

Sha Na Na were the kings of the sixties
    Deep in your heart you know it's true
    All those at Berkeley dressed like Bowser
    They didn't like the Stones or the Who
    Sha Na Na didn't need no flower power
    They didn't drive a yellow submarine
    But they were the ones who called the shots
    Yeah, Sha Na Na really made the scene

Sha Na Na ... killed Kennedy
    Sha Na Na ... stabbed that guy at Altamont
    Sha Na Na ... started the Peace Corps
    Sha Na Na ... were the first astronauts
    Sha Na Na ... grew organic food
    Sha Na Na ... led student sit-ins
    Sha Na Na ... joined the Black Panthers
    Sha Na Na ... never seemed to fit in

You can move to Montana and listen to Santana
    But you still won't be as cool as Sha Na Na

9. Mike.

Mike. New Member

10. lance konami

lance konami Senior member

the psychobilly scene is getting huge again so I think the market for creepers is def out there. Creepers never really went out anyways, it's been a staple in the punk scene since Malcolm McLaren brought them out to the forefront again in the 70s

Just saw a Nekromantix ad at a bus stop bench on Hollywood blvd, I've never seen a psychobilly or rockabilly band advertise like that before.

11. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

I dunno, I think only pretty dedicated subcultureheads wear creepers and winklepickers. Personally, I associate creepers with fat chicks in Hot Topic, but I am pretty unschooled in the rockabilly thing.

On another note...
    Dead Milkmen lyrics...

I was thinking of buying this shirt again, I think my moms threw it out with my dead kennedys shirts in 1996...
    [​IMG]

12. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Just saw a Nekromantix ad at a bus stop bench on Hollywood blvd, I've never seen a psychobilly or rockabilly band advertise like that before.

yea since Tim Hellcat decided to stick his hand in the psychobilly pot, he's signed Nekromantix, Tiger Army, & Horrorpops, getting that scene some mainstream recognition.

btw, if you want to check out (in my biased opinion) best modern rockabilly band, it's all about my nigs The Three Bad Jacks

www.threebadjacks.com

www.myspace.com/threebadjacks

They just left for a full US tour and are gearing up for a European tour in summer, and playing my wedding in Nov!!

13. whodini

whodini Senior member

GS, what's your opinion of the old Stray Cats stuff? Three Bad Jacks really remind me of that style.

But then I'm biased because Setzer's one of my all-time favorite guitarists.

14. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

overall I like the Stray Cats, but I wouldnt consider them an example of good rockabilly (in the real sense), being an 80s band their sound has too much its decades pop sensibility, which isn't a bad thing, but it makes them sound like an artifact. Oddly, if they had a more authentic 50s sound, they'd actually be more timeless. But for what they play, it's fantastic, and their inspiration was in the right place, covering a lot of Gene Vincent & Eddie Cochran. I know Chris Gallup was a big influence of Setzer's

There were other bands at the same time as the Stray Cats.... Crazy Cavan & the Rhythm Rockers, Sandy Ford and his Flying Saucers, Matchbox, etc all doing rockabilly in a way that could have been recorded in 1956, 1976 (which it was more or less), 1986, or even 2006.

Setzer's guitar skill is undeniable tho, and I think all of his projects have all benefitted from it.

15. whodini

whodini Senior member

I'll have to check those other mentioned bands out.

16. Goblin

Goblin Senior member

OK, here's a question ... what do you wear with creepers? I'm mainly interested in pants options.

17. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

OK, here's a question ... what do you wear with creepers? I'm mainly interested in pants options.

jeans, cuffed high enough to be about 1" above the shoes

jeans, tight enough and hemmed about .5" above the shoes

in general something pretty fitted/tight so that you get the "big feet" effect, which is what you want with creepers

18. Goblin

Goblin Senior member

I just wasn't sure if there were any good options other than tight jeans ... slacks, etc.

I'll post pics as soon as I pick up those creepers from tattoo guy.

19. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

jeans, cuffed high enough to be about 1" above the shoes

jeans, tight enough and hemmed about .5" above the shoes

in general something pretty fitted/tight so that you get the "big feet" effect, which is what you want with creepers

Any idea what pants were worn? I've seen some killer khakis (maybe more skinhead / punk) which always looked cool. They tended to be worn with crisp white dress shirts.

I assume they were just Dickies or Carhardts (or even just thrift store or vintage) but was wondering if you knew any brands.

I can remember an old music video of a skinhead with a perfectly fitted / pressed white button down shirt, khakis (perfectly pressed) doing whatever on the streets throughout the video and really looking good.

It turns out later in the video, the skinhead was a girl but it was hard to tell because she just looked like some guy with a buzzed haircut.

Social Distortion (Mike Ness) also comes to mind. He always had some great fitted work pants? dress pants. I really like the clean, fitted look with some cool accessories. Never over the top (well, except for the tatts) but stylish (with attitude) in a cool way.

20. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

yea you're thinking of Dickies. It used to be an American skinhead thing to get Dickies, taper them to about 7.5", roll them up so your boots show. Khaki dickies were real popular, I used to do it with grey and black ones too. British guys did the same thing with Levis Sta-Prest, which are basically just like Dickies

The same look works with Creepers too, but obviously you get a different vibe. and probably not the khaki ones but black or dark grey.