1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GusW, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Those in Blighty will not be surprised to learn it's still raining here in Derbyshire

So, these, which are quite a departure for me, get a maiden voyage. No pun intended.

PSmith, Barbour, Cheaney

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

beautiful socks

3. mimo

mimo Senior member

Great shoes Cleav, congrats! Also, I do like the setting you choose for your pics - those stained floorboards are lovely under the pretty carpet. And also also, those trousers look like you could happily sleep in them. In a good way. Real relaxed country gent look today. Which part of your sheep-fancying county do you call home? I don't know it well. I once went to Buxton, just on a whim. Very pleasant it was too.

4. Cleav

Mimo, very kind of you to say so. Thank you.

In between Derby and Ashbourne is the place really. We are about 30minutes from the spa town of Buxton. The opera house and gardens there are lovely, we like to go a couple times a year at least.

I was surprised I like the shoes ^ Lots more chunky than I'm used to, but when the rains are biblical they save the others from a wetting and look a lot better than scruffy old yellow timberlands.

5. mimo

mimo Senior member

But still, those shoes are great, and every Englishman should have some I think. Not that I do, yet, I was looking for something similar a couple of months ago, either in tan grain or burgundy. In the end it lost out to an opportunistic deal on my Grenson boots for a similar purpose. But something like that is still very much on the list. Where did you buy them?

1 person likes this.
  6. stupendous

stupendous Senior member

Singapore by way of Manila, Hong Kong and Californ

Thanks Macs....shell carminas on the rain last.....speaking of rain, I like your combo there, but don't you have issues wearing suede in the rain? I live in Singapore where, except for the past 3 months, it rains a little bit everyday, in different parts of the city.

I love suede but have often had to resort to breaking out my swims galoshes, or even taking off my suede loafers and walking barefoot in the rain!

7. Cleav

That's exactly what my good friend @CTBrummie said. We both drop in (very) occasionally to C n J Colmore Row and have chatted, discussed the merits of these matters over much tea and coffee…

What CTB doesn't know of these things… C n J Islay for instance and the like. He was keeping his eye out for me and found these NIB at GB£120, nearly 33% RRP. He da Man!

8. mimo

mimo Senior member

Confused...Cheaney from C&J?!

9. Macs

Macs Senior member

Well, the chukkas I am wearing today have a full rubber sole (sort of a Daynite) so no problem in stepping into puddles.
    No problem for the suede as well, I usually spray it with water repellent at the beginning of the season when I wash them so they do not get soaked or stained.
    I think that suede is the perfect solution for rain, it is not so delicate as people usually think!

10. Cleav

S, sorry. No the chunkys are Cheaney. I might meet up for a coffee with CTB at the C n J shop where we may discuss all things shoes/boots. Islays being particular faves! He found the Cheaneys for me.

11. europrep

europrep Senior member

Home today running errands in the New England snow...

[​IMG]

3sixteen, Pantherella, Oak Street Rough Outs

12. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i like

13. Cleav

Like em Euro. Can't beat suede whatever the weather. Thanks Stitch!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  14. europrep

europrep Senior member

Thanks Cleav & Stitch.

Cleav, the "rough out" is the backside of CXL from Horween. Bit of a twist on traditional suede. These should be more weather resistant.

From OSB website:

Natural Roughout Chromexcel®, or Marine Field Shoe as it is tagged in the Horween® factory, was developed for Marine Field boots for Wold War II. The leather is Horween's Natural Chromexcel, but is designed to be used rough side out, so special attention is given to create a particularly durable and level knap. Left unlined, the interior of the boots is the same, Natural CXL that we use on our Natural Trench Boots, providing a smooth contact with the foot. This particularly smooth interior was designed so that sand could easily be removed when soldiers would up-end their boots in the desert fields of North Africa - greatly reducing blisters and increasing comfort.

2 people like this.
  15. Cleav

Thanks Euro, always learning. Good of you to take the time :nodding:

16. Macs

Macs Senior member

I like them.
    After the description from OSB, a pic of the inside is a must! [​IMG]

17. europrep

europrep Senior member

Ask and you shall receive:

[​IMG]