• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not so many. SF approved, 5, hopefully 2 more in the near future.
Ok like me I have 8 pair so not that much either. Another G&G on the way maybe... you know i'm saving hard for that AP baby :D

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ok like me I have 8 pair so not that much either. Another G&G on the way maybe... you know i'm saving hard for that AP baby :D

saving and spending, the best way to go.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
9jdnpw.jpg

black tassel
argyles otc

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
great look, unc.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mimo's over-the-calf sock guide: all of these places sell proper long socks, all unless otherwise mentioned, sell only socks that are 100% wool or 100% cotton, and all of them deliver internationally.

www.brescianisocks.com  

That's the site recommended to me by Mr MacArthur, when I enquired about over the calf argyll socks.  It's not Bresciani's site; just a US retailer who stock Bresciani, Marciolani and some other bits and pieces.  Personally I don't really like socks (or anything else) with artificial fibre content.  All Marciolani's are mixed fibres, apart from their more expensive pure cashmere ones.  But the designs are great.  Bresciani have a lot more pure cotton choices, though not so many argyll patterns.

Average around $35.  Marciolani's socks are a good shape and grip close above the calf.  Bresciani I found fit just a touch shorter, especially if like me you have fairly big calves, so I will size up next time.

www.viccel.com

Run by Kemal, a SF member, it will give an automatic discount if you are logged in to SF at the time you visit.  I'm waiting for a first order from these.  A really nice range of solid colours, in heavier, light and sheer weights.  There are some cool patterns in some of the heavier winter socks too.  Can't give an opinion until I have some, but they're very cheap and the customer service is great.  Average around $10 (yes exactly!).

www.meschausettesrouges.com

As well as some expensive English hunting socks that I've not tried, this site (meaning: "my red socks") sell two brands: Gammarelli make wool or cotton fil d'Ecosse in black, red or purple - colours appropriate to priests, cardinals and bishops respectively, as they are suppliers to the Vatican.  They make white ones for the Pope that are only available as a special order!  The other brand is Mazarin, who offer a much wider range of solid colours, in fil d'Ecosse.

Average $15-20 depending where you are.  I've tried the merino wool from Gammarelli, the fit is nice and the feeling of luxury is really something for the money.  I'm not sure how hard-wearing they will be in the end, but for "special" socks, they're a bargain.  I have several pairs of the Mazarin fil d'Ecosse, which are light and wearable and seem well made.  I have to mention that receiving a package from these people certainly feels like a special occasion.  They have some charming extra details in their packaging that will make you smile.

www.blacksocks.com

These only offer three colours of OTC socks at the moment: black, anthracite and raspberry.  The raspberry will change to another "trendy" colour in the new year.  Their socks are cotton fil d'Ecosse.  They sell a variety of other undergarments too, but I've not tried.

Order three pairs or more and it works out at $12 a pair.  These socks are absolutely brilliant.  In terms of quality, they are the best fitting, and I would say the most strongly made.  They're heavier than Mazarin's, but being cotton, not thick.  They NEVER fall down!  In terms of practicality, if you just want conservative OTCs for suit wear in black or charcoal, or if (like me) you love that raspberry colour, then I would recommend these as my top pick.  Great quality, and very cheap.  Customer service is also very good: I had some addressing confusion that meant mine were probably sent to the wrong place.  No quibbles at all from them, even though it was probably my fault: replacements sent to me immediately at no charge.

I should also mention www.sockalia.be as one of the members suggested earlier.  I've not tried them as at the time I was looking for patterned OTCs in natural fibres only, which they don't have.  But they do have some all-natural solids, including a bargain black silk OTC dress sock on offer.  Beyond that. they've plenty of fun patterns in mixed fibres if that's your thing.

The glaring omission here is Pantherella.  I can't find a re-seller anywhere that has the magic combination of all-natural AND over-the-calf.  Each is available in a few places, but both together I just can't find.  As the link shows, their own e-commerce site is still "coming".  If anyone can find me Pantharella OTCs in their lovely pattenrs, in all wool or cotton, I will be very grateful!

Thank you for such great help! Unfortunately, I am in the same boat as you where I am looking for Pantharella OTC socks in some nice pattens. Right now I have one Pantherella OTC navy pindot 100% which I really like. I have two other Pantherella socks but they are MC and I think I prefer OTC now.

I have Viccel socks but wouldn't re-order them. They are sized small IMO and don't stay up that well for me anyway.

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Second or third wearing of a new pair of EG. Socks are nothing special (BB Cashmere) but this is the first time I have worn cuffed pants in years. Just picked up a couple pairs from BB and had them cuffed. Trying to decide if I like them or not as I have a couple Borrelli suits coming in and I need to figure out if I want them cuffed.
Thoughts?

Patek, I love the cuffs on those trousers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads