Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GusW, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Pretty much the same thing for me. I go from condo to car in covered garage. From covered garage to office and then back again. I do get out a good bit at lunch, as there are lots of places to eat within walking distance.

But the truth be told I could probably wear a flannel suit, wool socks and boots to the office most days of the summer and not suffer much. I work in a newly constructed, LEED certified building, the temperature is precisely controlled by zone so that no portion of the office is ever any more, or any less than 72 degrees. It's as if seasons don't exist. That, however, takes the fun out of dressing for the season and the variety it creates. IMO offices should be something more like 75 in the summer and 65 in the winter - but that would be unAmerican, wouldn't it?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012

2. Dewi

Dewi Senior member

I'm British, and don't handle heat well. Even with the near-constant AC (most of Atlanta is entirely too sprawled out and car-dependent to allow for walking to work, else I would), it's still oppressively hot and humid for me. I wear lightweight fabrics almost all year, which helps, but I find that if my feet/lower legs get too warm, I get very uncomfortable, very fast. I try to counter this in the summer months (most years that's March through November) by wearing socks very sparingly, and keeping my trousers hemmed with very little break.

Does that help?

3. Dewi

Dewi Senior member

What building? And who has offices there? My office's thermostats are set at 72, which means that the actual temperature is somewhere around 80. As a human, let alone a civil engineer with LEED certification, this drives me batty.

4. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

How long have you lived here in the steamy south?

I've been here 30 years - and I think I've more or less adapted (grew up near Chicago).

5. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Invesco building - intersection of Peachtree and Spring. It's a pretty good quality building for spec office space.

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

it is for this reason, that for the most part, i do not dress seasonally regarding suits and the like. i spend most of my time inside, and the temperature is fairly steady. a coat on top in the winter when outside, and remove the jacket when outside in the summer......

.........buuuuuuut, on a brutal hot muggy bmore day, even 10 seconds outside and you feel like youre gonna die. for those brief moments, its worth wearing as lightweight fabrics as possible.

7. rikod

rikod Senior member

Thanks for the replies guys, just wanted to compare with my situation. Gdot, I wish I have places to eat within walking distance here, my options are the cafeteria in the 1st floor (AC), go by car to a place to eat or take out (AC), order from the office (AC) or bring food fom home :bored:

8. Dewi

Dewi Senior member

I've been here for about 12 of my 25 years, off and on, but still can't get a handle on it. I can adapt to cold without a problem, but heat or humidity? Can't do it for some reason.

9. in stitches

just imagine if you kept kosher. ;)

10. Dewi

Dewi Senior member

My version of Atlanta seasons: Summer, Still-Summer, This-Should-Be-Winter, Yellow Season ("Spring").

I have a couple of tweed sport coats for This-Should-Be-Winter, but they're the only things in my tailored wardrobe that aren't lightweight. I'm a complete wuss when it comes to high temperatures and/or high humidity.

11. in stitches

same here, BIG time.

12. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

The Meermin are great! I've been thinking about getting a pair like that. Details?

13. ChaoticBliss

ChaoticBliss Active Member

Hey Gents,

Since you guys seem to be the sock shoe combination experts perhaps you can help me out. I got these loafers recently I don't know how or what to where them with. I almost never wear shorts. I have very hairy legs and feet so I don't like to go sock less either. If I wanted to wear these with either khaki's or blue jeans on a casual work day what would be best to wear them with? Something contrasting like in the picture or would I be better off with a light brown or dark brown sock. Or do they just not work at all in this situation?

Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Contrasting socks are fine. Purple as you've used is good with the color of the shoes. Rich blues would work well too.

The shoes seem very dark for those very light Khaki trou however. They would certainly work better with more medium to dark trou/jeans.

The shoes aren't much to look at IMO. Sorry.

15. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    #4 & black saddle
    ben silver sea isle cotton argyles otc
    [​IMG]