1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GusW, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

My bad, not wearing my glasses [​IMG]

2. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Glad to hear I'm not alone. My office is about 1/2 empty today.

I'll be interested in hearing how those Meermins do.

Thank you uncle. Shall we have a contest to name the fly? I'll vote for Mortimer.

Mertons, color is Beechnut. Not hot in the socks - they do look a bit full for summer, don't they? They are all cotton, and we're having a cold spell anyway - temperature should only reach 99 today! :D

Thank you. This fit follows a basic rule: Brown shoes and vibrant blue socks = win!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  3. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

yo G, your new avatar makes me laugh, and scares the hell out of me, all at the same time. :D

4. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Perfetto! Pretty much like how I affect people in real life!

5. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

Thank you uncle. Shall we have a contest to name the fly? I'll vote for Mortimer.

nephew,
    we shall work on it!

6. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

NOT KOSHER!!!!!!! [​IMG]

7. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

:uhoh:

Sorry, no offense intended.

8. Dewi

Dewi Senior member

Definitely not alone. My office has about the same attendance rate today. Mid-week holidays throw everything off, me thinks.

So far, so good. This is the first time I've worn socks in months, and the Atlanta heat is killing me. But the Meermins, they are comfy. My feet will let me know this evening and tomorrow if they agree with this assessment.

The fly looks more like a Seth, to me.

9. in stitches

:slayer:

:laugh:

none taken.

10. rikod

rikod Senior member

I don't understand very well the summer clothing except for the weekends or places that you have to be outside a lot like NY etc., do you guys in Atlanta walk to your offices?, I live in florida and is really hot, but I dress at home in A/C, drive my car to work in A/C, park in the garage and take the elevator to my office all day in A/C, everywhere you go here (offices, supermarket, movies, bars, restaurants etc etc) is freezing cold. I even have to take with me a jacket or something to the movies in the middle of the summer. Right now at the office I wish I had a jacket. Honest curiosity, not trying to be an ass.

11. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Pretty much the same thing for me. I go from condo to car in covered garage. From covered garage to office and then back again. I do get out a good bit at lunch, as there are lots of places to eat within walking distance.

But the truth be told I could probably wear a flannel suit, wool socks and boots to the office most days of the summer and not suffer much. I work in a newly constructed, LEED certified building, the temperature is precisely controlled by zone so that no portion of the office is ever any more, or any less than 72 degrees. It's as if seasons don't exist. That, however, takes the fun out of dressing for the season and the variety it creates. IMO offices should be something more like 75 in the summer and 65 in the winter - but that would be unAmerican, wouldn't it?

12. Dewi

Dewi Senior member

I'm British, and don't handle heat well. Even with the near-constant AC (most of Atlanta is entirely too sprawled out and car-dependent to allow for walking to work, else I would), it's still oppressively hot and humid for me. I wear lightweight fabrics almost all year, which helps, but I find that if my feet/lower legs get too warm, I get very uncomfortable, very fast. I try to counter this in the summer months (most years that's March through November) by wearing socks very sparingly, and keeping my trousers hemmed with very little break.

Does that help?

13. Dewi

Dewi Senior member

What building? And who has offices there? My office's thermostats are set at 72, which means that the actual temperature is somewhere around 80. As a human, let alone a civil engineer with LEED certification, this drives me batty.

14. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

How long have you lived here in the steamy south?

I've been here 30 years - and I think I've more or less adapted (grew up near Chicago).

15. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Invesco building - intersection of Peachtree and Spring. It's a pretty good quality building for spec office space.

16. in stitches

it is for this reason, that for the most part, i do not dress seasonally regarding suits and the like. i spend most of my time inside, and the temperature is fairly steady. a coat on top in the winter when outside, and remove the jacket when outside in the summer......

.........buuuuuuut, on a brutal hot muggy bmore day, even 10 seconds outside and you feel like youre gonna die. for those brief moments, its worth wearing as lightweight fabrics as possible.

17. rikod

rikod Senior member

Thanks for the replies guys, just wanted to compare with my situation. Gdot, I wish I have places to eat within walking distance here, my options are the cafeteria in the 1st floor (AC), go by car to a place to eat or take out (AC), order from the office (AC) or bring food fom home :bored:

18. Dewi

Dewi Senior member

I've been here for about 12 of my 25 years, off and on, but still can't get a handle on it. I can adapt to cold without a problem, but heat or humidity? Can't do it for some reason.

19. in stitches

just imagine if you kept kosher. ;)

20. Dewi

Dewi Senior member

My version of Atlanta seasons: Summer, Still-Summer, This-Should-Be-Winter, Yellow Season ("Spring").

I have a couple of tweed sport coats for This-Should-Be-Winter, but they're the only things in my tailored wardrobe that aren't lightweight. I'm a complete wuss when it comes to high temperatures and/or high humidity.