• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

applky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:

Roger that. Do liquid fabric softeners have any destructive effects, in your experience? Or do you find that with the 70% Merino wool or cashmere offerings that you don't need any?

Thanks everyone for your responses. On to another 50 back pages of this thread!

ccm

Don't use fabric softener on any fine fabric. I've heard stories about how it degrades fabrics, but can't confirm myself. You will not need it on these socks anyway; they're extremely soft.

Dewi

Reaction score

In the summer (which in Atlanta where I live is QUITE hot and humid) I prefer calf length in general. Although I will admit that otc socks in lighterweights are actually surprisingly not as warm as one might presume.

Like you, I'm also in Atlanta. I tend toward Marcoliani OTCs, or in the summer months here, often no socks at all. I get my socks mostly from Sid's on the Westside, but have ordered a few pairs from these here internets. I've been wondering where the argyle Marcolianis were coming from, are those from Ben Silver?

I lurk a lot around here, as there's not much for me to really contribute at this point in my sartorial development.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've been wondering where the argyle Marcolianis were coming from, are those from Ben Silver?

You can always count on O'Connell's for an excellent selection. They will have new color combinations every few months. They also have them in both cotton and wool.

Dewi

Reaction score

You can always count on O'Connell's for an excellent selection. They will have new color combinations every few months. They also have them in both cotton and wool.

:fistbump:

Much appreciated. Hadn't heard of them before. O'Connell's, I mean.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Like you, I'm also in Atlanta. I tend toward Marcoliani OTCs, or in the summer months here, often no socks at all. I get my socks mostly from Sid's on the Westside, but have ordered a few pairs from these here internets. I've been wondering where the argyle Marcolianis were coming from, are those from Ben Silver?
I lurk a lot around here, as there's not much for me to really contribute at this point in my sartorial development.

i get my marcoliani's from alex kabbaz at customshirt1.com

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

^ I wear my Marcolianis casually all the time. They are all-purpose.

for business attire look at the marcoliani's merino wool socks or cashmere socks

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not the clearest photo b/c of zoom, but y'all get the idea.

Socks: GAP (!)
Shoes: Alden 974

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Machine wash (cold water, delicate setting),

Tumble dry (unheated or delicate setting).

Presuming you have access to decent appliances with these settings.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Machine wash (cold water, delicate setting),
Tumble dry (unheated or delicate setting).
Presuming you have access to decent appliances with these settings.

nephew,
keep out of the dryer and line dry

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
too much trouble for my lazy self. living in a condo means either hanging them up in the bathroom or sending them out to be done - not going to happen - if they die little sooner, i can find a way to deal with my grief.

sorry to disappoint you.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You can also find otc argyle Marcolianis @ Howard Yount

http://www.howardyount.com/collections/over-the-calf-socks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads