• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All right, you sock-rockers,

After duffing around for a bit, I've got to ask some basic questions to the sock gods.

I'd appreciate some straight talk.

Thanks,
ccm

If you live in the hinterlands, as I do, then you must buy online to a large degree to get any variety and quality. I've had great luck w/Barney's twice a year sales and load up then. Buying from them gives me a chance to try brands I don't have access to locally.
Nordstrom.com and BB.com have a clearance going on now. Nordstrom has free shipping. Just buy a few and try them.

OTC is a preference. The style was designed to keep the flesh covered when the gentleman crossed his legs. If you can keep covered, which most can wearing a mid-calf sock, then don't worry about it. You can buy OTC now for <$10, so try a pair.

Coincidently, Amazon sent a blurb on a book that may be of interest and there are others on the site:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/3833152702/ref=pe_113430_22255620_pd_re_dt_dt5

Have fun.

Last edited:

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_5806.jpg
IMG_5815.jpg
IMG_5805.jpg

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like otc in winter a lot. Extra warmth and all that. I have never had any problems with my trousers 'catching' on the socks as some here have reported. Thus it's otc all the way for winter socks for me.

In the summer (which in Atlanta where I live is QUITE hot and humid) I prefer calf length in general. Although I will admit that otc socks in lighterweights are actually surprisingly not as warm as one might presume.

Given the current trend of shorter cut trousers otc have the decided advantage of keeping one's hairy ankles/legs completely concealed in ALL situations, which can occasionally be a minor concern if you are performing cartwheels or handstands during business meetings. :D

I do have one hard and fast rule: Do not, ever nor under any circumstances, wear 'loafer socks' with a suit. (Believe it or not I saw this very thing at a meeting in Washington DC last summer.) And on an otherwise fairly well dressed young man.

As for brands and sources I'm limited but: Wood's of Shropshire has a huge assortment of Pantherellas available at regular retail pricing. Ben Silver offers a good many Marcoliani's. Sierra trading post sometimes has some basic Pantherellas but rarely with patterns and I cannot recommend that you wear dress socks without patterns (subtle.) If you are willing to 'haunt' places like TJ Maxx etc. etc. on a regular basis you will sometimes find some quality socks there - but it usually requires frequent visits, as inventory is, by definition hit or miss.

You don't mention your shoe size but if you, like me, have a very small foot (US size 8 UK size 7) you need to be careful as 'one size fits all' socks are going to be dicy at best.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@jhcam and the general - i like the looks!

LOL frtitz...
I rarely have to adjust them, I think I own 75 calf length socks, and 3 OTCs. I just hate the way they feel, and my pants always get "stuck" on them.

whats up with the new avatar?

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

There is much love for OTC on the forum, but I personally do not like them at all. I grew up with calf length, and love as such.
As far as other brands, I pretty much stick to Pantherella, but have been creeping up on Marcoliani lately, have a few Gallos that I love, and would like to try Falke.

nephew,
to be totally transparent, i do not have any financial interest in marcoliani. for you they make dress socks in either merino wool or cashmere. both can be purchased in either mid calf or otc

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

^ That depends on the sock, your individual calves, and how you do your laundry. Regarding the latter, putting any fine sock through the dryer will tend to kill its structure; I would advise hanging them dry.

wash in cold water and line dry

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Dressy and colorful, uncle - can't beat it.
(Very nice stones, btw -picks up the blues in your socks.)

nephew,
thank you

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I like otc in winter a lot. Extra warmth and all that. I have never had any problems with my trousers 'catching' on the socks as some here have reported. Thus it's otc all the way for winter socks for me.
In the summer (which in Atlanta where I live is QUITE hot and humid) I prefer calf length in general. Although I will admit that otc socks in lighterweights are actually surprisingly not as warm as one might presume.
Given the current trend of shorter cut trousers otc have the decided advantage of keeping one's hairy ankles/legs completely concealed in ALL situations, which can occasionally be a minor concern if you are performing cartwheels or handstands during business meetings. :D
I do have one hard and fast rule: Do not, ever nor under any circumstances, wear 'loafer socks' with a suit. (Believe it or not I saw this very thing at a meeting in Washington DC last summer.) And on an otherwise fairly well dressed young man.
As for brands and sources I'm limited but: Wood's of Shropshire has a huge assortment of Pantherellas available at regular retail pricing. Ben Silver offers a good many Marcoliani's. Sierra trading post sometimes has some basic Pantherellas but rarely with patterns and I cannot recommend that you wear dress socks without patterns (subtle.) If you are willing to 'haunt' places like TJ Maxx etc. etc. on a regular basis you will sometimes find some quality socks there - but it usually requires frequent visits, as inventory is, by definition hit or miss.
You don't mention your shoe size but if you, like me, have a very small foot (US size 8 UK size 7) you need to be careful as 'one size fits all' socks are going to be dicy at best.

nephew,
i agree with your comments and another excellent source for socks is alex kabbaz at customshirt1.com

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
n3xkc6.jpg

whiskey indy
marcoliani merino wool argyle otc

coffeecupman

Reaction score
Quote:
wash in cold water and line dry

Roger that. Do liquid fabric softeners have any destructive effects, in your experience? Or do you find that with the 70% Merino wool or cashmere offerings that you don't need any?

Thanks everyone for your responses. On to another 50 back pages of this thread!

ccm

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads