• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
The selection is small (then again, they won't be seen much), but I'd recommend www.blacksocks.com. Their cotton fil d'Ecosse over the calf socks are bullet proof, and I wear them in any temperature (-something in a UK winter, +50 in an Arabian summer). As seen below.

Currently available in black and dark grey, and I think this season's colour is some kind of green. Great service, nice people, unbelievably good value socks.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What, you don't like tassel loafers either?  Or is it the pink socks?  Man, you're a hard dude to please. 
patch%5B1%5D.gif

i just like to rile you up. ;)

todays combo looks good tho!

--

justin - i wear the same kind of socks with pretty much all my shoes. its more the pattern or color that changes based on formality.

Last edited:

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The selection is small (then again, they won't be seen much), but I'd recommend www.blacksocks.com.  Their cotton fil d'Ecosse over the calf socks are bullet proof, and I wear them in any temperature (-something in a UK winter, +50 in an Arabian summer).  As seen below.

Currently available in black and dark grey, and I think this season's colour is some kind of green.  Great service, nice people, unbelievably good value socks.

i just like to rile you up. ;)

todays combo looks good tho!

--

justin - i wear the same kind of socks with pretty much all my shoes. its more the pattern or color that changes based on formality.

I appreciate the responses. I'll check the link posted above. I saw jhcam post his eg Shannon with some heavy socks and that's what I was thinking of.

Also I spoke with uncle Mac and he is doing great. Just thought I would let everyone know as he is a great person and a great contributor to this thread and the whole forum

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
glad to help. and 100% uncle mac is a great guy. a real mentch.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Glad Mac is doing OK, look forward to seeing him back.

Stitch, I got new shoes and naturally made me think of you...

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stitchy now that I think about it I was more referencing the heavyness/thickness of socks. I dont want some thick ass thorlos or anything with my boots but maybe a heavier wool sock to wear with my boots. Has anyone had good experiences with Pantherella OTC? I have some socks from Sozzi that are not bad but wanted to see if Pantherella OTC stayed up without cutting off circulation

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/sc...lterString=Pantherella~b~1036/&colorFamily=07

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/pa...lterString=Pantherella~b~1036/&colorFamily=05

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
My only issue with Pantherella, and Marciolani too in most cases, is that I can't get OTCs in 100% natural fibres. Call me fussy, but I'm not paying $30+ for nylon socks, even in part! They do stay up nicely though. If you want something that's made of wool but robust enough to stay up and stay in shape with boots, I think the heavy country socks are your only option, whether or not they're all natural. Not what you want to wear with dress boots and your world-class soot action though.

The reason I recommended the Blacksocks ones above is that I am amazed at how strong they are. They're not as cuddly as wool socks, nor as light as Mazarin's cotton OTCs. But they never fall down, they're four-season comfortable, and after over a year of use, not one pair has a hole or has become loose. Anyway, if you get a set of three they work out about $12 each, so definitely worth the experiment! My only negative on these is that they don't have more colours: black, grey, and one new colour a year.

But if you want something that just feels luxurious and prefer wool, then it has to be Gammarelli from meschausettesrouges.com. I don't know how they'll stand up to heavy wear, but it feels like a treat every time I put them on. They are simply gorgeous.

Last edited:

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
x-post WAYWRN MC Casual - Mezlan shoes, BB socks

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
timo - excellent

mimo - lol

justin - i dont any thick socks that i can think of. sorry i am of no help. :(

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^ nice ^^

--

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads