• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rock Custom Tailor

Duveen

Reaction score
I am in b-school in Philly and we are getting ready to head into the interviewing season. I want/need a nice, basic interview suit at a somewhat reasonable price.

I am a longtime poster here and am not looking to get Oxxford MTM or Centofanti or truly high-end offerings.

There is a traveling tailor that who goes by "Rock Custom Tailor", seems like an affordable CMT/MTM shop with a HK back office (kind of like MyTailor, etc). I am not expecting the world from sthng like this (offer of a suit for $500-800 depending on fabric), but would like to know if anyone has used them.

If the quality is good to above-average, I might make an app't for the sake of convenience.

So...will anyone admit to frequenting this fellow?

AlonzoMosely

Reaction score
I got a rock custom suit and a couple of shirts, but this was in 1995 or 1996. I wish I had spent a bit more and got something better. It was strange, but the zipper in the fly had very large teeth and a large zipper pull and felt liked it belonged on the front of a winter jacket rather than on the fly of a suit. Would not buy from again.

Clothing Enthusiast

Reaction score
RM Rock of Rocks Custom Tailors was a gentleman and a terrific MTM Hong Kong tailor. He unfortunately passed away recently. His son Amit is trying to take over his father's business. I was rooting for the son until I worked with him recently (2023). He is not in any way an approximation of his father: disorganized, not knowledgeable, not personable and clearly not an experienced tailor etc. Moreover, he's rude and anything but customer centric. What he promised he could not deliver. Very unfortunate. I worked with his father for over 25 years and bought literally all of my suits, tuxedos, jackets etc. fm since I completed graduate school. Buyer beware: Rock's is a very different animal than it used to be.

Martymatters

Reaction score
RM Rock of Rocks Custom Tailors was a gentleman and a terrific MTM Hong Kong tailor. He unfortunately passed away recently. His son Amit is trying to take over his father's business. I was rooting for the son until I worked with him recently (2023). He is not in any way an approximation of his father: disorganized, not knowledgeable, not personable and clearly not an experienced tailor etc. Moreover, he's rude and anything but customer centric. What he promised he could not deliver. Very unfortunate. I worked with his father for over 25 years and bought literally all of my suits, tuxedos, jackets etc. fm since I completed graduate school. Buyer beware: Rock's is a very different animal than it used to be.

Martymatters

Reaction score
I've used the service Rocks Custom Tailors for many years but tried them recently and weren't happy. I've looked for other tailors then found Hiras Fashion. I'm happy with the service and quality of the suits that have been tailor made for me.

MurrayandBen

Reaction score
I am saddened to hear of Mr. Rock's passing. I met him in 1993 and was a rep for him at the Harvard Business School from 1995-1997. I continued to use him and refer new people to him. He was a gentleman and a caring, hard-working businessman. I last saw him in about 2017 when he was getting his son going. I noticed that Rock seemed like he was struggling a bit. I'd like to continue with his son, Amit, but I haven't heard anything about his taking over the business.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am in b-school in Philly and we are getting ready to head into the interviewing season. I want/need a nice, basic interview suit at a somewhat reasonable price.

I am a longtime poster here and am not looking to get Oxxford MTM or Centofanti or truly high-end offerings.

There is a traveling tailor that who goes by "Rock Custom Tailor", seems like an affordable CMT/MTM shop with a HK back office (kind of like MyTailor, etc). I am not expecting the world from sthng like this (offer of a suit for $500-800 depending on fabric), but would like to know if anyone has used them.

If the quality is good to above-average, I might make an app't for the sake of convenience.

So...will anyone admit to frequenting this fellow?
BTW, Centofanti died.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW, Centofanti died.
You might check out Juniors, who I recall was mentioned on SF.
Decent trad-type clothing. Not expensive. Never been there myself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads