• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Robust and stylish boots for the country

Westward

Reaction score
Prompted by advice on this thread, this morning I went to search through the old removal boxes in the attic, where we still have some stuff stored from our relocation seven years ago.

This "stuff" included, to my surprise, a pair of excellent and very sturdy Grenson boots with commando soles that I remember liking a lot way back when; the above-mentioned pair of sleek Yanko brown monks previously thought missing; another pair of Yanko monks in black, less sleek but good enough to be pressed into service; a pair of C&J Merton brown suedes (I was just thinking the other day that I was sure I had bought loafers at some point); a rather unexpected but welcome pair of C&J Marston; a well-used but still in good condition pair of C&J Grenvilles. Lastly, and most happily, a pair of C&J Westfields. All of these properly treed.

Also one pair of functional but ugly Timberland Gore Tex shoes, which were quietly rewrapped and put back in the box.

I also found rather a lot of clothes. Lots and lots of MTM shirts, some too formal for anything other than a suit, some OK for smartish casual. Seems that a decade ago I also had a bit of a thing for Paul Smith, Polo and Comme Des Garçons casual kit. Hmm.

So thanks to everybody for encouraging me to get my arse into gear.

I shall have a think about what care the shoes need, if anything. Seem in fair condition, maybe just a tad dry. Maybe a bit of Renapur leather balsam for the non-suede shoes, leave them to soak it up, then polish?

Last edited:

Turner

Reaction score
Quite similar to your situation, during winter time my Alden Indys with a Commando sole get lots of wear and for the most ugly weather (or for the woods), Hoggs of Fife Rannoch in Veltdschoen construction are hard to beat.

Westward

Reaction score
Hoggs of Fife Rannoch in Veltdschoen construction are hard to beat.
I find Hoggs' products dependable. I have a pair of their moleskin trousers, and those are inexpensive, comfortable and seem very well made. Also have a couple of caps, but their Harris Tweed cap has strange "S/M" and "M/L" sizing so had to send back the one I bought. The item itself was nicely put together for a fraction of what Lock or Bates would charge.

That Rannoch is a handsome boot. If the quality lives up to the looks, something of a bargain.

Turner

Reaction score
That Rannoch is a handsome boot. If the quality lives up to the looks, something of a bargain.

The Rannoch is a tough boot, the finishing on the welt could be a bit nicer and it took ages to soften the Zug grain leather. But for the price and the intended use - I would not hesitate to spend a whole day with them in a cold and wet terrain - they are really good (and look so much better than GoreTex boots). The leather is really forgiving lots of abuse. The only thing I would change is the Commando sole for a Dainite.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are OK with a MP style boot, you can't go wrong with White's boots. Lots of other work style boots, but this MP boot might fit the bill:

White's is not a fashion forward boot, but at the price they have an incredible MTO ability. I own Whites, Alden, AE, Carmina, Trickers boots and Whites are my most comfortable and hardest wearing boots. I would definitely go with a rough-out for the type of use you're intending - it's just less maintenance. Just another consideration

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
I just received this pair of Santoni fur-trimmed boots from Farfetch. They fit well. My only complaint is that the heels are not sufficiently grooved for winter boots. Perhaps a talented cobbler could carve some grooves into the rubber soles. Any opinions?

Attachments

• photo_2023-02-24_10-46-25.jpg
    photo_2023-02-24_10-46-25.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 9
  • photo_2023-02-24_10-46-38.jpg
    photo_2023-02-24_10-46-38.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 8
  • photo_2023-02-24_10-47-44.jpg
    photo_2023-02-24_10-47-44.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 10
  • photo_2023-02-24_10-48-24.jpg
    photo_2023-02-24_10-48-24.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 443
  • photo_2023-02-24_10-48-37.jpg
    photo_2023-02-24_10-48-37.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 446

Westward

Reaction score
@Westward Why did you move from the city to the country? Pandemic move in 2020? Are you going to move back to the city?
Was brought up here 40 years ago before I left for university and then my career. Ten years ago I decided to leave the rat race, come home to the UK and start my own little business. It was difficult initially but has worked out well - but then I know what living in the country is like. I think many people make the move from urban life without knowing what they're getting into.

No, I have no plans to move back to the city. Exciting places, but too many people, too many unpleasant people, too much crime, too much pollution, and too expensive. I've lived in two of the greatest cities on earth, and visited many others for business or pleasure, but these days I like living in a proper community where I know the names and faces of those around me and where locking the front door is an option rather than a necessity. Not much call for fancy clothes round here though!

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was brought up here 40 years ago before I left for university and then my career. Ten years ago I decided to leave the rat race, come home to the UK and start my own little business. It was difficult initially but has worked out well - but then I know what living in the country is like. I think many people make the move from urban life without knowing what they're getting into.

No, I have no plans to move back to the city. Exciting places, but too many people, too many unpleasant people, too much crime, too much pollution, and too expensive. I've lived in two of the greatest cities on earth, and visited many others for business or pleasure, but these days I like living in a proper community where I know the names and faces of those around me and where locking the front door is an option rather than a necessity. Not much call for fancy clothes round here though!
So, you're around age 60 or so? I'm sure dressing up gets tiresome by then. I agree with your idea of a proper community, as well. Seems like you're in a good place for this period of your life.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads