• Welcome to the Styleforum Approved contest! This is a contest where everyone wins: in fact, every participant will get a (highly coveted) “Styleforum approved” bracelet to flaunt to your oblivious friends. The only thing you have to do is show appreciation for a member of the forum or an affiliate vendor.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Robust and stylish boots for the country

Westward

Reaction score
Prompted by advice on this thread, this morning I went to search through the old removal boxes in the attic, where we still have some stuff stored from our relocation seven years ago.

This "stuff" included, to my surprise, a pair of excellent and very sturdy Grenson boots with commando soles that I remember liking a lot way back when; the above-mentioned pair of sleek Yanko brown monks previously thought missing; another pair of Yanko monks in black, less sleek but good enough to be pressed into service; a pair of C&J Merton brown suedes (I was just thinking the other day that I was sure I had bought loafers at some point); a rather unexpected but welcome pair of C&J Marston; a well-used but still in good condition pair of C&J Grenvilles. Lastly, and most happily, a pair of C&J Westfields. All of these properly treed.

Also one pair of functional but ugly Timberland Gore Tex shoes, which were quietly rewrapped and put back in the box.

I also found rather a lot of clothes. Lots and lots of MTM shirts, some too formal for anything other than a suit, some OK for smartish casual. Seems that a decade ago I also had a bit of a thing for Paul Smith, Polo and Comme Des Garçons casual kit. Hmm.

So thanks to everybody for encouraging me to get my arse into gear.

I shall have a think about what care the shoes need, if anything. Seem in fair condition, maybe just a tad dry. Maybe a bit of Renapur leather balsam for the non-suede shoes, leave them to soak it up, then polish?

Last edited:

Turner

Reaction score
Quite similar to your situation, during winter time my Alden Indys with a Commando sole get lots of wear and for the most ugly weather (or for the woods), Hoggs of Fife Rannoch in Veltdschoen construction are hard to beat.

Westward

Reaction score
Hoggs of Fife Rannoch in Veltdschoen construction are hard to beat.
I find Hoggs' products dependable. I have a pair of their moleskin trousers, and those are inexpensive, comfortable and seem very well made. Also have a couple of caps, but their Harris Tweed cap has strange "S/M" and "M/L" sizing so had to send back the one I bought. The item itself was nicely put together for a fraction of what Lock or Bates would charge.

That Rannoch is a handsome boot. If the quality lives up to the looks, something of a bargain.

Turner

Reaction score
That Rannoch is a handsome boot. If the quality lives up to the looks, something of a bargain.

The Rannoch is a tough boot, the finishing on the welt could be a bit nicer and it took ages to soften the Zug grain leather. But for the price and the intended use - I would not hesitate to spend a whole day with them in a cold and wet terrain - they are really good (and look so much better than GoreTex boots). The leather is really forgiving lots of abuse. The only thing I would change is the Commando sole for a Dainite.

johng70

Reaction score
If you are OK with a MP style boot, you can't go wrong with White's boots. Lots of other work style boots, but this MP boot might fit the bill:

White's is not a fashion forward boot, but at the price they have an incredible MTO ability. I own Whites, Alden, AE, Carmina, Trickers boots and Whites are my most comfortable and hardest wearing boots. I would definitely go with a rough-out for the type of use you're intending - it's just less maintenance. Just another consideration

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Face Masks: Pick Your Favorite (Choose 2)

• Disposable surgical mask

• White cotton mask

• Linen-lined mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of suiting fabric

• Patterned mask (checks, stripes, fun print, etc.)

• Solid color silk mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of tie fabric

• Sports mask made of synthetic fabric

• Denim mask

• Face shield

Results are only viewable after voting.