• Welcome to the Styleforum Approved contest! This is a contest where everyone wins: in fact, every participant will get a (highly coveted) “Styleforum approved” bracelet to flaunt to your oblivious friends. The only thing you have to do is show appreciation for a member of the forum or an affiliate vendor.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Robust and stylish boots for the country

Westward

Reaction score
From what you've described, I'd think maybe something like the Alki (which is a Chelsea boot), Ballard, Bremerton, Delridge, Holman, Mercer, Snoqualmie, or Whidbey could be styles that might work, depending on your tastes.
I hope that's helpful!
Bremerton looks nice and yes, that was helpful thank you. Think I have heard of J. Fitzpatrick before, but never took a close look at them.

Westward

Reaction score
Shoes are made to be worn, not to be admired on a museum exhibition. Don’t be afraid of scuffs etc.
I think I have two or three pairs of Tetbury, and I somehow scuffed the black pair down to the leather at the toes. Have covered it with some scuff-guard, but it's not the same. The Trickers example repairs were pretty impressive.

But yes, shoes are there to be worn, not hoarded, as others have also (in effect) pointed out.

Braid

Reaction score
Been reading SF for years, now I have a question, so took plunge and registered.

Up until a few years ago I lived and worked in a major international city, and I have a lot of Crockett & Jones footwear (size 8, most of the lasts seem to fit me well). Now I live in the UK countryside, far from any major city, and there's lots of gravel, mud, twigs and stone. Just walking over to the car in the morning can be an adventure when wearing expensive shoes or boots. Having scuffed one of my pairs of C&J Tetbury in the early days after arriving in the country, I now wear my good shoes less frequently and with caution.

I don't like to wear trainers with a pair of decent trousers and a jacket (I know some people can pull it off; I can't, and don't like the look) so wondering if people can recommend a cheaper brand of shoes/boots that will look stylish, but be more robust than C&J, Lobb, etc. Or at least, that will look good and not cost the earth to replace or repair if I accidentally scuff them or put a ding in them.

Thanks.
Shoes are meant to be worn and I would definitely go with some CJ heavy boots (Snowdon, islay, Galway, Coniston etc..).

Since you live in UK have you considered a visit to Northampton to buy seconds in the factory? I am sure you would feel better to scuff a pair of coniston/snowdon knowing you paid them half of the retail price.

emptym

Reaction score
I like the recommendations people have mentioned, especially Trickers and similar boots, since you're in the UK. I'd add leather hiking boots. I have some old ones by Asolo and they can take a beating.

Westward

Reaction score
Since you live in UK have you considered a visit to Northampton to buy seconds in the factory? I am sure you would feel better to scuff a pair of coniston/snowdon knowing you paid them half of the retail price.
No I haven't, but would be an excellent idea at some point.

MaE

Reaction score
I’d have a look at what the French company “Paraboot” has to offer. I guess that some of their boots (for example the “Avoriaz” model) would easily do the job!

Satmoche

Reaction score
Again, I would either get the Galway II or the Conniston by Crockett & Jones. You cannot go wrong with either.

classicalthunde

Reaction score
I don’t know if you’re limiting your search to UK/Euro makers, but I love my Alden Indy Boots, I feel they work equally well in the city as walks through the woods with the dog.

They’re not necessarily in the same quality range as Viberg and C&J but I know a lot of engineers and construction managers who wear Red Wing Iron Rangers and 725s on site

Wild Strawberry Rabbit

Reaction score
Galway seems to be no longer in production?
It’s not but you can find some stock at some online retailers. Also if you wanted a cheaper shoe and you like the look of Galway you can get similarly styled Loake Anglesey:

You can also have a look at Cheaney, they have some really nice country boots, cheaper than C&J, e.g.

Westward

Reaction score

Westward

Reaction score
As a general point - realise this is taking the thread off at a bit of a tangent - is there some kind of consensus as to the hierarchy of the English shoe pantheon? I'm not a big EG fan, as I never felt that what they offered was worth twice what C&J offered, but they seem to be regarded as the acme of non-bespoke. Likewise, I have in the past dismissed Trickers because I didn't really want a brogue boot and that was the image I had of them. And so on.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As a general point - realise this is taking the thread off at a bit of a tangent - is there some kind of consensus as to the hierarchy of the English shoe pantheon? I'm not a big EG fan, as I never felt that what they offered was worth twice what C&J offered, but they seem to be regarded as the acme of non-bespoke. Likewise, I have in the past dismissed Trickers because I didn't really want a brogue boot and that was the image I had of them. And so on.
Any time I see a hierarchy on here, it just seems like people are doing little than ranking things by price. I say go with your gut and get whatever speaks to you. I have two pairs of Galways and rarely wear them. Whereas I wear my Conistons a lot more. I think the Conistons feel like a more robust shoe. I don't do anything terribly rugged, but I dont know if I would feel comfortable tromping out in the countryside in a pair of Galways. Just on price, marring them would make me flinch. Whereas I feel totally fine beating up my C&Js.

zippyh

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
For Tricker’s non brogues look for Grassmere, Burford, Allan, Calvert, Axton models. Maybe Eaton if you don’t mind punch cap. Grassmere and Buford are stock models available at most all retailers. The others are seasonal or custom order for retailers so not as easy to find. Tricker’s get discounted often. They also have an online outlet store.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Face Masks: Pick Your Favorite (Choose 2)

• Disposable surgical mask

• White cotton mask

• Linen-lined mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of suiting fabric

• Patterned mask (checks, stripes, fun print, etc.)

• Solid color silk mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of tie fabric

• Sports mask made of synthetic fabric

• Denim mask

• Face shield

Results are only viewable after voting.