• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Robinson's Shoes: Dispute and subsequent resolution.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ADMINISTRATOR'S NOTE:
The title of the thread has been edited and this note added by the request of both the retailer (Robinson's shoes) and the original poster, since the matter has been resolved to both parties' satisfaction.
I just thought I'd share my experience with the North Ireland based shoe store and online shop Robinson's Shoes (http://www.robinsonsshoes.com/), to prevent others from getting into the same trouble as I have. They have given me the worst online shopping experience with truly lousy customer service. So, here's my story:

I ordered a pair of Cheaney Holyrood from their Imperial collection, which retail at £325, from Robinson’s Shoes online store this spring, and was told that the waiting time would be 7-8 weeks. When I hadn’t heard from them in 10 weeks, I sent them a friendly and polite e-mail (for the record, every e-mail I’ve sent during this process have been friendly and polite) asking about when I could expect a delivery. No answer. I sent an e-mail again, and then got a response that they now were ready to be shipped. Two weeks later, still no shoes at my doorstep.
So, two more e-mails before I got a response, and now the answer I got was that they’d be ready in two weeks, and the explanation was that the Cheaney factory was having problems. Which of course would be fine, but one could expect that you wouldn’t have to drag every piece of information out yourself.

Well, the problems hadn’t really started… After 15 weeks I received the shoes. Very pleased with them, but directly when I wore them it started to develop small, spider web-like cracks on the toe caps. I sent Robinson’s Shoes an e-mail with pictures, and was told to send them back because they were not supposed to look like that.
So I returned the shoes, which cost me £27, and because of the fact that I would have to wait for a new pair to be manufactured (and with the knowledge of what time that takes) I asked for a refund instead.

The same procedure started again, I heard nothing in weeks, and had to send e-mail after e-mail to just get the information that first they didn’t hear from the Cheaney factory which had to declare it as faulty, then the factory was closed for vacation, and then they didn’t hear from them again (one could wonder why noone from Robinson’s took the time to call up the Cheaney factory themselves to try to figure out what took them so long).

Finally, about two months after I had returned the shoes, I was told that I would receive the refund. I took a sigh of relief, thinking that this story now would have come to an end. Well, my bad. On my account I just found the amount I paid for the shoes, and not the £27 I paid for returning the faulty shoes. I thought they just had missed that, and sent them two e-mails again (you always seem to have to send two mails, I don’t think they ever responded to my first) asking to refund my return shipment cost as well. On their website it’s clearly stated that if the shoes are faulty, the shoes shall be returned and they will cover the shipping cost for the return.

But to my surprise I get the response that they won’t refund my cost for returning the shoes. Why not is a bit unclear, as I have been given three different explanations: they refunded the original shipping cost instead (which is not true, they have free shipping to all UK and EU customers), the shoes were worn so they don’t refund the shipping cost because of that (of course they were worn, how else would I have discovered the fault with multiple cracks being developed on toe caps?), and finally, that they actually weren’t faulty at all (which they already agreed with that they were, and that was the reason for the whole refund process).

So, the last thing happening now was that they hung up on me in the middle of a phone call. And I’m just sick of it all. I know that £27 is not that much to fuss about, but with the way they treated me during this whole process I'm really pissed. Sure others have had much worse experiences with other stores, and some probably have good experiences with Robinson's Shoes, but still: A customer shouldn’t have to pay if they are sent a faulty product, and a customer should definitely not be treated the way I have been treated.

Last edited by a moderator:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to read of your misfortune with this company. They should not only refund the £27, but also several months of your life. Thank you for sharing a well typed accounting of your ordeal and again, my condolences. Welcome to Styleforum.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to read of your misfortune with this company. They should not only refund the £27, but also several months of your life. Thank you for sharing a well typed accounting of your ordeal and again, my condolences. Welcome to Styleforum.

Thank you for your kind words. Yeah I placed the order on the 28th of March, which means that I've dealt with this for five and a half month. Truly ridiculous.

Last edited:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thank you for your kind words. Yeah I placed the order on the 28th of March, which means that I've dealt with this for five and a half month. Truly ridiculous.

At one stage I was thinking of getting the same shoes from them. Glad I didn't.

steffenbp11

Reaction score
Sounds like a bad experience. I ordered some Cheaney Imperials form them last year. They weren't exactly quick or very informative, but the shoes are great and so was the price.

Robin Stewart

Reaction score
I am the MD of Robinsons Shoemakers-my email address is [email protected]-my mobile phone number is 07545152056-my landline is 02893 367216.

I have with a vast amount of disappointment,bordering on absolute disgust just read this posting! I can assure you that I knew absolutely nothing about this whole thing!! I would be obliged if you could contact me asap to discuss this.

I will make it an absolute priority to get to the bottom of this. I would stress that had I known about this at an early stage the problem and consequently your posting would not have existed.

Please accept my apologies for any distress caused .

I have worked very hard for 16 years building this business up from virtually nothing by placing customer satisfaction as the top priority,consequently I can ill afford this type of alleged behaviour by any member of staff.

If I find that all you say is true ,you will not only be reimbursed with all monies owed ,but I will also send you a free pair of shoes of your choice.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Robin Stewart.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear Mr Stewart,

Thank you for taking this matter so seriosly. I did actually receive a refund for the shipping cost, after I wrote the same text as I wrote on here on your Facebook-page I was contacted by another employee of yours and after some time I was finally refunded the money over PayPal.

But of course I still would very much appreciate if you actually would give me free pair of shoes for my trouble, that would definately be making amends for me with your company. I've sent you an e-mail regarding this.

UnnamedPlayer

Reaction score

But of course I still would very much appreciate if you actually would give me free pair of shoes for my trouble, that would definately be making amends for me with your company. I've sent you an e-mail regarding this.

Piss-off.

You deserve nothing of the sort.

If they want to give you a percentage off that is acceptable, but to ask for free shoes smacks of your intention all along was to get a free pair.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You got a refund. That should be the end of the matter.

Piss-off.

You deserve nothing of the sort.

If they want to give you a percentage off that is acceptable, but to ask for free shoes smacks of your intention all along was to get a free pair.

The free shoes was an offer made by Mr Stewart, I was not asking for it. If you look at the dates this was some time ago this happened and for me I was okay when I did receive the refund for the shipping as well. That's why I write about it in my last post. But of course it would be a very nice gesture if the company offers a pair of shoes, but I'm certainly not expecting them to do it.

CTBrummie

Reaction score
If it was free shipping on all UK and EU orders and you benefited from this, how on earth did the return postage cost £27? I'd expect it to cost that from North America, or Asia, but not from an EU country and it would have been standard postage costs from anywhere in the UK.

Macallan

Reaction score
If you want a free pair of shoes, I have a pair of Russell & Bromley single-monk moc-croc's (worn 3/4 times) if you are interested.

25% off would be fair, in my opinion.

UnnamedPlayer

Reaction score
The free shoes was an offer made by Mr Stewart, I was not asking for it. If you look at the dates this was some time ago this happened and for me I was okay when I did receive the refund for the shipping as well. That's why I write about it in my last post. But of course it would be a very nice gesture if the company offers a pair of shoes, but I'm certainly not expecting them to do it.
My mistake.

If they are offering a free pair of shoes I wouldn't expect the refund, if you got the refund AND a free pair of shoes you have come out a ******* mile infornt.

That is truely an excellent result, that I will believe when I see it.

HarleyBob

Reaction score
I understand that Robinsons offered you a free pair of shoes, however, I would refuse them. When I complain, I do so to fix a wrong and to make it known to management what has happened, and not to get something for free. You have fixed a wrong and you have been made whole. To get anything else out of the deal cheapens your complaint. There are too many people in this world that *****, moan and whine so they can get free stuff. I can't stand these type of people. You don't sound like you are one of them, so refuse anything free.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Regardless of whether he takes the free shoes offered, I'm impressed by Mr. Stewart and am now heading over to their website because of this whole interaction.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads