• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Robert Talbott Shell Cordovan Belts

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great spotting, distinctive. They look very nice. I'm sure they're the real thing--shell cordovan--but it's interesting that Talbott have them printed on the back "Genuine Horse Hide Leather." Also, the seller describes them as "dark brown," but the color (particularly evident with the 34) seems to be the burgundy we more usually see with shell cordovan.

distinctive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
Great spotting, distinctive. They look very nice. I'm sure they're the real thing--shell cordovan--but it's interesting that Talbott have them printed on the back "Genuine Horse Hide Leather." Also, the seller describes them as "dark brown," but the color (particularly evident with the 34) seems to be the burgundy we more usually see with shell cordovan.

I agree with you...that did seem odd that they don't say genuine shell. I also haven't seen many products from Italy made of shell. However, I have seen Talbott belts made of shell. The 40" kind of reminds me of a revello type color. It definitely looks like shell cordovan. I'll let you know for sure when I receive mine...hopefully not made from another part of the horse. Either way, I figured $70 for a great quality belt is a steal.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not shell but horsehide...there is a difference. We went over this a few months back in this thread and I can say, having purchased one of these belts, that it is the nicest belt that I own and a great deal at the auction price.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as the durability question, I've only worn it a dozen times or so the last few months but my impression is that it will be as durable as any calf belt that I own and much more durable than the Cole, Klein, DKNY crap that starts falling apart after a couple of years. The leather itself is MUCH nicer and has a depth I've never seen before...the construction seems impeccable. I consider it a "lifetime" belt and the $60 I paid was well worth it.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I wonder why horsehide isn't used in shoe construction (or is it?). Obviously, it would be more readily available than shell is as there's a lot more hide per horse than just the two shells.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
I wonder why horsehide isn't used in shoe construction (or is it?). Obviously, it would be more readily available than shell is as there's a lot more hide per horse than just the two shells.

Yes, And why is horsehide used for (leather) horse hide costs, and shell cordovan is not?

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, cordovan shells come from the rump section of the horse, which is not nearly big enough for a jacket. PLus the leather is rather stiff and splits easily, so not good jacket material.

I'm guessing the main advantage of horsehide is that it is extra tough/thick, which isn't especially desireable for shoes. The positive properties of shell cordovan, as applied to shoes, come from the unique tanning process it goes through. Regular horsehide would not share any of those properties.

mtf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Yes, And why is horsehide used for (leather) horse hide costs, and shell cordovan is not?

Horse hide has a very fine grain which makes it smooth and waterproof. A side affect is horsehide does not take up the dye very well. A brown horsehide jacket may not look uniformly colored and it will patina faster than leather will. Apart from the dye issues a horse hide jacket or belt should last forever.

I think horsehide is as thick and stiff as bull hide which might explain why you don't see shoes made out of it. The vamp would not want to bend when you walked and would hurt your feet - kinda like some grenson feathermasters I've had actually.

.mike

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads