• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Robert Palmer: Best Dressed Rocker Ever?

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
I Liked Robert Palmer's style and he's singing. What a shame he passed away so young.

He does not have a lot of competition, and there may be someone more obscure that dressed better.

Is Lyle Lovett "Rock" for purposes of this discussion? The lead singer from Parliament/Funkadelic wore nice suits sometimes, to.

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nick Cave.
nick.jpg

nick_cave_6.jpg

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There was an article in the NYT Home section about Flaming Lips leader Wayne Coyne last week. He still lives the sketchy neighborhood where he grew up in Okla. City. Well, maybe it wasn't sketchy when he was a kid, but it is now. He's put up a 'firewall' against the crack dealers by slowly acquiring adjacent houses and vacant lots. It's now 'the compound', and filled with all kindsof cool stuff related to his various artistic endeavours.

Someone in the article was quoted as saying that they found rock stars who lived in manor houses 'off-putting', and that Wayne was doing it right.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/09/ga...e&st=cse&scp=5

Modernist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sjmin209
Nick Cave.
nick.jpg

nick_cave_6.jpg

Today it struck me as odd that noone mentioned Nick Cave. Back when I was a teenager (late 80s, early 90s), Nick Cave was the first rock'n'roll performer that I recall his style made an impression on me. I also liked Jarvis Cocker's style (the Pulp). I still like his mix of mod and the late 60's, early 70's french cut.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not exactly a rocker, but I like Lyle's style....
16168887-16168890-slarge.jpg
awards_lyle.jpg
610x.jpg

Mauby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johninla
Charlie Watts wins it going away. Also, he's very cool and above the fray!

Yeah, plus he earned points from me when he was battling through throat cancer and still looking every bit the badass. Plus, standing side by side next to Keith Richards all those years makes Charlie look like one of the top dressed men in the world. This is an interesting thread. I tend to think rock stars look cool when they're not wearing suits...I mean, they're rock stars.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Starguitar
I agree with the Mod Father, Paul Weller is definitely number one.

Then there's Charlie Watts and Jarvis Cocker too.

+1 for Jarvis Cocker.

Andrew Bird's pretty great too.
andrew-bird-2.jpg

the cool part is that he actually shows up on stage like that and still maintains tons of indie cred.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ +1. I thought Jarvis Cocker looked particularly dashing during this appearance....

Modernist

Reaction score
Jarvis Cocker and Nick Cave were major stylistic influences to me. Back when I was a teenager, they were an example of how to wear a suit and not look like a suit.

I was into the whole brit-pop, madchester and shoe-gaze scenes. Later on of course I found out about the mod heritage of those bands, then the black american influence to the whole mod aesthetic, then jazz... It's been a downward spiral!

On a tangent, every time someone asks me for stylistic advice (that usually happens when they want to buy their first suit), I ask them what music they like best, and which artists they like the style of.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauby
Yeah, plus he earned points from me when he was battling through throat cancer and still looking every bit the badass. Plus, standing side by side next to Keith Richards all those years makes Charlie look like one of the top dressed men in the world. This is an interesting thread. I tend to think rock stars look cool when they're not wearing suits...I mean, they're rock stars[/I].

This was the point I was trying to (subtly) make by posting the Wayne Coyne article. I find it alienating when rock stars choose to look like a well-dressed gentleman. There are exceptions, of course. Bryan Ferry gets away with it b/c of his crooner voice and persona. Charlie's been around the block a few times, and really, who pays attention to the drummer? Nick Cave is another good example - he's really an erudite fellow, and his voice lends itself to a dramatic, stylish presentation. The Pogues dressed in suits, but despite the seeming incongruity, their appearance went perfectly with their music - scuffed shoes, ties askew or missing, rough tweeds, rumpled and basic. Shanty Irish who popped into their local for a quick drink after mass, only to emerge six hours later completely legless....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads