• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Robert Jordan is (was) a joke

delirium

Reaction score
I had similar thoughts about the Wheel of Time series. I got through the first two rather amused. I was too bored to continue can't follow 700 page epics where nothing memorable happens.

Song of Fire and Ice was really good though. I thought I had given up on epic fantasy novels because these authors just don't know how to pace and move along a plot.

Have to say never got into Death Gate Cycle. I tried reading the first book, but the writing put me off, it read extremely unoriginal.

countrygent

Reaction score
Have to agree that Jordan's prose (may he R.I.P.) never quite matched up to the grandeur of his vision. I made it to book 5 or so and was beginning to lose the thread of all of the different sub-plots he had set in motion, in addition to getting bored with his writing. I could never understand why my friends loved his stuff - Ursula LeGuin says more in a paragraph than Jordan says in a whole chapter.

I understand why people find Tolkien dull - he is a bit long-winded in his descriptions, but the depth and breadth of his creation and the lyricism of some of the writing is astonishing. Comparing him to Terry Brooks is unconscionable though!

I think The Hobbit is the best example of his work, as it highlights the best point of his writing - sheer story-telling ability - and includes his sense of humour, within a concise and elegant framework.

Elric is definitely punk fantasy - I haven't looked at those books in years. Dragonlance was lots of fun when I was 15 but doesn't seem to have aged very well.

Anyone read Lord Dunsany?

ArteEtLabore14

Reaction score
Originally Posted by countrygent
Have to agree that Jordan's prose (may he R.I.P.) never quite matched up to the grandeur of his vision. I made it to book 5 or so and was beginning to lose the thread of all of the different sub-plots he had set in motion, in addition to getting bored with his writing. I could never understand why my friends loved his stuff - Ursula LeGuin says more in a paragraph than Jordan says in a whole chapter.

I understand why people find Tolkien dull - he is a bit long-winded in his descriptions, but the depth and breadth of his creation and the lyricism of some of the writing is astonishing. Comparing him to Terry Brooks is unconscionable though!

I think The Hobbit is the best example of his work, as it highlights the best point of his writing - sheer story-telling ability - and includes his sense of humour, within a concise and elegant framework.

Elric is definitely punk fantasy - I haven't looked at those books in years. Dragonlance was lots of fun when I was 15 but doesn't seem to have aged very well.

Totally agree with the bolded statement.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ArteEtLabore14
I'm getting sick of waiting for A Dance With Dragons as well, but there's nothing he could do/not do that will stop me from salivating in anticipation of its release. A Song of Ice and Fire is one of, if not the best fantasy series of my generation.

I hope he redeems himself with his next one- the fourth book was shite! The HBO series is a go, though, and has the potential to be better than the books in the right hands.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countrygent
I've read the King of Elf-Land's Daughter which has a similar affected otherworldy tone to that of Morris, more interesting than exciting and engaging as the best fantasy is. Tolkien is fairly succesful in generating an authentically epic tone softened with a lot of wit and charm. I re-read the LOTR for the first time in about 15 years this winter and was surprised at how enjoyable and readable it was still.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Song of Ice and Fire > Wheel of Time

Unfortunately I'm running out of patience waiting for the next book (rumored for Summer 2011). Apparently Martin was halfway through it when his editor noticed a major continuity error that forced him to start over.

This comment has not aged well. I mean, I guess Summer 2011 was right, but did you ever think the next one would take over a decade?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads